PDA

View Full Version : Dawah Difficulty: Dog in House

ummhafsa
06-03-2005, 05:09 PM
As salamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

My sister-in-Islam is a recent convert, who had only a dog for a companion. When she found out, from others, that "Muslims don't keep dogs", she gave it away. Now she is very lonely, often depressed. Her age, health, medications, difficulties w/ non-Muslim adult children & Muslims in general may be factors, but she is thinking of getting the dog back.

I have already given her the answer that Allah SWT is Most Merciful, and that only one sin, the sin of associating partners with Allah, is unforgiven. I witness that she is sincere in not wanting to do anything that is haraam, as far as any human can tell about anyone else.

How much haraam will she be committing by keeping the dog? He stays in the backyard only during good weather. But in the house, he has been trained so far to stay out of her "prayer room". She asks, "what about the angels? Will they stop coming to my house? Can I keep him?"

ReggaePoweredDC2
06-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Keep the dog outside.

I cannot give any evidence from Quran and Sunnah but I can tell you what I think and my opinion.

If you do something wrong and dont know it cool. When you find out and you stop and ask for forgiveness its cool. Now going back and continuing to do wrong KNOWING its wrong ... not so cool.

Maybe your sister in law should make Dua and ask Allah to not make her feel lonely, or to find other forms of companionship .. like a cat ???

I had a dog, but it was kept outside .. I dont think I could ever keep an animal like that in the house. I was told this was ok .. maybe it is, maybe it isnt. Hopefully someone can answer the question.

ummhafsa
06-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Sister in Islam, not sister in law!

ummhafsa
06-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Actually now I'm reconsidering the question. It may be more of a fiqh question than a dawah question... if there are any "dawah" aspects, please comment. If not, this thread can be deleted for wrong placement.