PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Iyyaka Ureed

Sara Saker
11-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Assalamu 'alaikoum,

Someone please verify this. Perhaps I understood this completely wrong - maybe I was slouching on the chair or missed some of the notes. When Sheikh Muhammad spoke of what Khalid wrote - Iyyaka Ureed --> It is you I seek/want - I thought he had written it to his enemy saying, it's you I seek, meaning your death or destruction, but then I read this:

قال ابن كثير في "البداية و النهاية" في أحداث سنة إثني عشر للهجرة: (لمَّا قدم الوليد بن عقبة على الصِّديق بالخمس، ردَّه الصِّديق إلى عياض بن غنم مدداً له وهو محاصر دومة الجندل، فلمَّا قدم عليه وجده في ناحية من العراق يحاصر قوماً وهم قد أخذوا عليه الطُّرق فهو محصور أيضاً، فقال عياض للوليد‏:‏ إنَّ بعض الرَّأي خير من جيش كثيف، ماذا ترى فيما نحن فيه ‏؟‏ فقال له الوليد‏:‏ اكتب إلى خالد يمدَّك بجيش من عنده‏.‏ فكتب إليه يستمدَّه فقدم كتابه على خالد عقِب وقعة عين التَّمر وهو يستغيث به‏.‏ فكتب إليه: من خالد إلى عياض‏؛‏ إيَّاك أري.

So, up until now, I thought Khalid had written this to his enemy -- I guess I'm wrong. My apologies for those who cannot read the Arabic - it basically says that during 'Aynul Tamr battle, that Khalid wrote the "iyyaka ureed - it's you I want/seek" statement to 'Iyaadh bin Ghanam to get his help. Point is --> Regardless of who the message was sent to, Khalid needed not write more than two words to get his message across - unlike me :)!

heavens_scent
11-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah thanx sara is that from albidaya wanihayaa?

however, i wanted to ask u doesnt that say " iyyakaa Ara'a?"
i dont see no Daal there?

Sara Saker
11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Oh, :), I did that by mistake. It had a blue smiley face, so I took it out, I think in return it ate one of the letters up. Here it is correctly:

من خالد إلى عياض‏؛‏ إيَّاك أريد

It's not from the book, no, it was from an arabic website: http://www.tawhed.ws/r?i=3282

Ooo, look what I also found in it:

وصدق القائل: من كثُر كلامه، قل عمله.

Wowza - roughly translated: The one who talks a lot, does very little. If anyone can translate these neat sayings better, please do, I feel bad that my translations are so weak.

Asmaa Hussein
11-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Khalid ibn Waleed got a letter from 'Iyaadh ibn Ghanim that his army was needed. So Khalid wrote back with those two words "Iyyakah ureed" - by the time 'Iyaadh got the letter and opened it, he looked up and saw Khalid and his army arriving. That's how fast Khalid (ra) was, his army would travel at the speed of one rider...

Sara Saker
11-15-2005, 08:25 PM
JazakiAllah khair Asma for the much better translation :)

Sairish
11-16-2005, 04:14 AM
i think i missed that part in the class, how cool!

heavens_scent
11-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Iyyaka ureed... Jazakallahu for the clearification
it jus sounds so cool saying it

-ilmseeker-
11-16-2005, 01:00 PM
i think i missed that part in the class, how cool!
me too!
JazakAllah Khairn Sara for bringing this up!

fLoW
11-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Khalid ibn Waleed got a letter from 'Iyaadh ibn Ghanim that his army was needed. So Khalid wrote back with those two words "Iyyakah ureed" - by the time 'Iyaadh got the letter and opened it, he looked up and saw Khalid and his army arriving. That's how fast Khalid (ra) was, his army would travel at the speed of one rider...
imagine! gave me an emanrush rite there.

abudakku
11-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Subhanallah that was one of the coolest and useful things i learned in the class Jazkhallah for re sharing it