PDA

View Full Version : *ya* Muslimeeeeen Wasat!!!?

*Aasiyah*
08-22-2006, 01:26 AM
YA UKHTI, YA UKHTI...WHERE ART THOU YA UKHTI...?

I must admit...I felt ashamed to know that there were not enough sisters compared to brothers in HOK. It was usually the other way around every time I attended other Al-Maghrib classes. Well, I know Siraaj had asked us to hand in note cards about solutions to this problem, but we didn't have enough time to think. Can you (brothers 'n sisters)please post up reasons why sisters are not showing up, and post solutions and ideas to remedy this problem? JAZAKALLAH KHAIR.

"GIVE YOUR EXCUSES A BLACK EYE!"
Sisters, we are the ones who raise the ummah, the Sahabis and mujahideen won victorious battles courageously...look at the results, the mothers are the biggest factors/reason of those results. Those victories will be ours again inshaAllah...educate yourself and become like Zubair's r.a. mother. Al-Maghrib is the ultimate learning experience(mind, body, 'n soul). It has all the right ingredients for optimal learning.
The active kuffar/shayateen have a conspiracy against the Muslimahs...The first tactic they implement to destroy a successful country is to corrupt the women. So educate yourselves in terms of the fard learning of the Deen. They want us to fight amonst ourselves and deteriorate our community with jahiliya and the material world, whether it be clothes or the 'RESUME'--"I'm a woman hear me roar"-type of thing. Empower yourself with Allah's swt standards, not Kuffar standards.
Fight your nafs that IBLEES covets...I hope to see you and 1 other muslimah (brothers bring your sisters or else I'll have my husband give you a friendly beat down), you bring to class NEXT SATURDAY...inshaAllah.

AbdelRahmanMurphy
08-22-2006, 06:23 AM
You will never beat us in attendance. Alhamdulilah.

(Competition for the sake of Allah :-P)

Olivia
08-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Aasiyah, I agree we need to find out where the sisters are at! Insha'Allah we'll talk more about this issue at the Sisters' Q and A next weekend.

Rabiya
08-22-2006, 08:20 AM
YA UKHTI, YA UKHTI...WHERE ART THOU YA UKHTI...?

I must admit...I felt ashamed to know that there were not enough sisters compared to brothers in HOK. It was usually the other way around every time I attended other Al-Maghrib classes. Well, I know Siraaj had asked us to hand in note cards about solutions to this problem, but we didn't have enough time to think. Can you (brothers 'n sisters)please post up reasons why sisters are not showing up, and post solutions and ideas to remedy this problem? JAZAKALLAH KHAIR.

"GIVE YOUR EXCUSES A BLACK EYE!"
Sisters, we are the ones who raise the ummah, the Sahabis and mujahideen won victorious battles courageously...look at the results, the mothers are the biggest factors/reason of those results. Those victories will be ours again inshaAllah...educate yourself and become like Zubair's r.a. mother. Al-Maghrib is the ultimate learning experience(mind, body, 'n soul). It has all the right ingredients for optimal learning.
The active kuffar/shayateen have a conspiracy against the Muslimahs...The first tactic they implement to destroy a successful country is to corrupt the women. So educate yourselves in terms of the fard learning of the Deen. They want us to fight amonst ourselves and deteriorate our community with jahiliya and the material world, whether it be clothes or the 'RESUME'--"I'm a woman hear me roar"-type of thing. Empower yourself with Allah's swt standards, not Kuffar standards.
Fight your nafs that IBLEES covets...I hope to see you and 1 other muslimah (brothers bring your sisters or else I'll have my husband give you a friendly beat down), you bring to class NEXT SATURDAY...inshaAllah. Chill habibti : ) Lets see what happens inshaAllah. If nothing works out, then you know what we can do? muhahahha evil idea of Red Carpet.

I hope you know what I'm talking about :D

later,

Salaaam.

Umm Nusaybah
08-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Wa Alaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

'alo.

Ok, I wrote on my notecard that the biggest thing is probably the baby-sitting issue. We really need baby-sitters so these sisters with children can go.

One sure way to guarantee results is to incorporate marriage into the topic! lol...

Transportation!!! I know that for some people in Illinois, this hotel is too north. Maybe what we could do is have carpooling.

Some of my friends didn't come because of the cost.

Olivia
08-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes, sis Umm Nusaybah, babysitting and cost were two of the most common issues on the notecards and I appreciate everyone's feedback on the cards :)
First, regarding babysitting, we actually attempted to set up babysitting but did not in the end due to so little response from sisters for it. We emailed over 500 hundred families who attended both LOG and IlmFest asked them if they were interested in babysitting, but only two people responded, one who was in not even from Chicago. It would be logical to assume that if there is such a high demand for it and these sisters really wanted to attend the class (no excusitis involved), there would have been a greater response.
As you mentioned cost is another issue. Although both cost and babysitting are issues for many people, I don't believe they are the main reasons why we have a lack of sisters in the class.
Insha'Allah I will share more about why I think so this weekend at the sisters q and a, and insha'Allah you can all give me your feedback. :D
Jazakallahu khairun

AbdelRahmanMurphy
08-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Some of my friends didn't come because of the cost.
Alhamdulilah, we have scholarships, sponsorships, and other ways to take care of costs of the class or people who cannot afford. There really isn't an excuse for money anymore - Banu Wasat, alhamdulilah, has made it a priority to make sure finances don't get in the way of seeking knowledge. Let these friends of yours know that they can gain some 'ilm - no excuses. Contact finance.wasat@gmail.com, insha Allah.

fevzy
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes, sis Umm Nusaybah, babysitting and cost were two of the most common issues on the notecards and I appreciate everyone's feedback on the cards :)Prolly, marketing was another issue. From the number of students attending the class, I'm very sure the marketing technique used was efficient. I don't know what kind of marketing was done but prolly the marketing approach was too general or too specific to certain segments of population (younger people - see the demographic characteristics of students).

I assume that the class was advertised at the masjid, esp at the Friday prayer. Maybe we can include the reasons why sisters, wives, or mothers should take this class.

Anyways, I was a little dissappointed that the uncles who asked desi questions to Yasir Qadi are not in HoK.

Siraaj
08-22-2006, 12:00 PM
As I mentioned earlier, although babysitting was cited as the number one reason, many sisters are college-aged and not married, or do not have children, and many of them did not attend. That's one target.

The other target is sisters with children. To this issue, we have 3 solutions in which one group of people address the problem:

1. The mothers find babysitters from their family ahead of time, in anticipation of the class (mother, mother in law, etc).
2. The Qabeelah raises funds from the qabeelah itself to provide free babysitting.
3. AlMaghrib Institute provides a babysitting stipend to Qabeelahs which show a great need for babysitting.

As for money, I think Abdelrahman Murphy covered that pretty well. We've told everyone repeatedly that money cannot be used as an excuse as we would find a way insha'Allah for people to afford the class, and alhamdullillaah, we've done it for both classes now, and we plan on continuing, insha'Allah.

My personal opinion is that the biggest factor has been awareness through word of mouth advertising. I think awareness through flyers is weak. Awareness through word of mouth advertising means we all have to get together and start talking up the classes, insha'Allah.

Now, keep in mind, we still had just shy of 200 students, so we didn't really do "bad" by the standards of most qabeelahs. However, we did bad by our own standard of being the MONSTER QABEELAH, and therefore, we have to do better on the next class, insha'Allah.

Siraaj

Mohsin
08-22-2006, 02:09 PM
the location might be a problem. I know a few people from the south side who were put off from coming because of the distance, especially ppl who don't have cars.

Rahma
08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Asalamu Alaykum wr wb,

As Haylers one of the things were working on is increasing the bond between sisters and sisters and brothers and brothers. Like anything in life we realized this needed work. So as sisters we make sure that we keep in contact whether studying the materials of the Almaghrib classes...meeting at a certain masjid for halaqas...as well as after fajr program (where sisters meet up and recite Quran and play games).
My suggestion would be form a bond whether it be through e-mail or meeting up. Also compete amongs each other to see if you could bring a new person to the next class or even in the number of people.

Kaltham
08-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Rahmi, that last one is great. Make a competition of Referrals....the person who referrs the highest number gets a prize or something. Also, do it for the sake of Allah. I really don't believe in just talking about AlMaghrib seminars to people.... I love it too much to just tell them. I basically force them...aggression is a great tool. I do not take no for an answer and i refute every excuse they give. Honestly, no bragging, i am a sales woman, i do not settle for "I'll pass". As AlMaghrib students we need to master the art of persuading. Think of it this way: if you discovered the most precious thing in your life, wouldn't you want everyone else to discover it as well? (assuming we have clean hearts) Start selling it like the life of the other person depended on it.

Fii Amaani'Laah

Hala
08-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Rahmi, that last one is great. Make a competition of Referrals....the person who referrs the highest number gets a prize or something. Also, do it for the sake of Allah. I really don't believe in just talking about AlMaghrib seminars to people.... I love it too much to just tell them. I basically force them...aggression is a great tool. I do not take no for an answer and i refute every excuse they give. Honestly, no bragging, i am a sales woman, i do not settle for "I'll pass". As AlMaghrib students we need to master the art of persuading. Think of it this way: if you discovered the most precious thing in your life, wouldn't you want everyone else to discover it as well? (assuming we have clean hearts) Start selling it like the life of the other person depended on it.

Fii Amaani'Laah

Yaa Kaltham, may Allah reward you for your persistence and forceful attitude. You are the reason that I and many other sisters took our first AlMaghrib semimars, and are now addicts.
But yeah, sisters, you should do more getting together and stuff that will get the sisters involved. You can do this after Fajr, or in the evening, but maximum exposure is necessary!

*Aasiyah*
08-23-2006, 01:02 AM

(Competition for the sake of Allah :-P)so nice...but! competitors still can make du'aa for eachother, right? never say 'never'...i know how to give memorable rude awakenings mr. wasatian brothers...that's it! move it sistas! i want to see you all bring at least one sister this weekend, and if not, then 2 for the next LOVE NOTES CLASS...INSHAALLAH.

*Aasiyah*
08-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Chill habibti : ) Lets see what happens inshaAllah. If nothing works out, then you know what we can do? muhahahha evil idea of Red Carpet.

I hope you know what I'm talking about :D
I have a list of sisters from COD msa, UIC, IIE, and northwestern...let's call them and we'll tell them that we have to meet up with them and say..."bahut zarurri hai..." and we'll surprise them "red carpet style"....i know waasssuuuuuuuuup.

*Aasiyah*
08-23-2006, 01:16 AM
the location might be a problem. I know a few people from the south side who were put off from coming because of the distance, especially ppl who don't have cars.
I know that chicagolanders are happy with the location...but there are ways to set up real transportation plans since this is the case that you have stated. We can have a brother in charge of transporting brothers and the same for the sisters. And I really highly encourage you southsiderz to stay with the hosts for the entire weekend. There's always a solution, especially for those who "think they can."

*Aasiyah*
08-23-2006, 01:59 AM
My personal opinion is that the biggest factor has been awareness through word of mouth advertising. I think awareness through flyers is weak. Awareness through word of mouth advertising means we all have to get together and start talking up the classes, insha'Allah.

Now, keep in mind, we still had just shy of 200 students, so we didn't really do "bad" by the standards of most qabeelahs. However, we did bad by our own standard of being the MONSTER QABEELAH, and therefore, we have to do better on the next class, insha'Allah.

Siraaj
After the heat of LOG, perhaps people assumed that the same students would return bringing with them one extra person. Optimism without action. I also noticed that the msa of many universities did not show up, perhaps it was the summer that did it. When in school, people are more apt to be hyped and ecouraged to go because it's the "thing" your missing out on and everyone's going as the 'ummah herd.'

What's so special about BANU WASAT AGAIN??? We won't settle for the best, we aim for what is above our eyelashes. (fisibilillah).

Yeah, mashaAllah...~200. But I know many peeps who were supposed to be there! We have to take in mind that summers are all about weddings and funerals and vacation. Also, students from these universities are at their hometown fam. Other factors...PARENTS! I know some who won't let their kids go! Other factors that keep people behind...AHEM* HUSBANDS.

SOLUTION ABOUT ADVERTISING:

Let's hit up the campuses. We need to regroup shoura and volunteers. We need to know what campus you are from and get involved with your MSA to help advertising. We had the idea and action for a year at our campus to have a dawah table twice a week. We can again start again and promote Al-M with tools. Me and my hub were the coordinators, we can start that up again and move to other universities and set things up inshaAllah. And that's why we need you wasatians to tell us what campus you're from. What we really need is to organize, plan, give effort, and people in charge of different duties. (prayers and du'aa last 1/3 of night). Dude, we need a physical al-maghrib meeting again...no more teleconferences please.

We'll devise a list of "excuses of why people don't come" and we'll become adepts on how to refute with "evidence."
ie: financial, kids, transportation, interest, time, "beef," different sect or aqeeda, and nafs.

abd4evr
08-23-2006, 04:13 PM

I'll have to agree, I don't think sisters have what it takes to beat us in numbers. We've already had 2 classes and they haven't beat us.

Siraaj
08-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Don't forget ILMFEST too!

Siraaj

Rabiya
08-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I'll have to agree, I don't think sisters have what it takes to beat us in numbers. We've already had 2 classes and they haven't beat us.Now Now Akhi stop dreaming, wait till next class inshaAllah. :D

yallah akhwaat get to work before brothers make us feel worse than this.

have mercY.

Asalamualykum wa rahmatullah

-Seek knowledge, attain Jannah iA.

Rabiya
08-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I have a list of sisters from COD msa, UIC, IIE, and northwestern...let's call them and we'll tell them that we have to meet up with them and say..."bahut zarurri hai..." and we'll surprise them "red carpet style"....i know waasssuuuuuuuuup.
Habibti, try calling COD peeps. insha'Allah.

UmmSakinah
08-23-2006, 08:04 PM

Fii Amaani'LaahYes masyaallah this precious precious sistah has a gift in her! Her power of persuasion is excellent! Maybe I should get my MIL to come over here and pester people to take AlMaghrib classes.

Kaltham, when I do it, people get annoyed. Maybe I'm just annoying, huh? LOL

Dhul Qurnayn
08-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Anyways, I was a little dissappointed that the uncles who asked desi questions to Yasir Qadi are not in HoK.[/QUOTE]
LOL....u sure cause we might have a ten minute question answer on what the sheikh was drinking? or where did he bought his clothes from?

fevzy
08-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Anyways, I was a little dissappointed that the uncles who asked desi questions to Yasir Qadi are not in HoK. LOL....u sure cause we might have a ten minute question answer on what the sheikh was drinking? or where did he bought his clothes from?.... though, the question to Yasir Qadhi that cracked me up the most was "what do you use on your hair ... (that it looks so nice and shiny)?". If you know these uncles, please send my salaam to them.

Rahma
08-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Yes masyaallah this precious precious sistah has a gift in her! Her power of persuasion is excellent! Maybe I should get my MIL to come over here and pester people to take AlMaghrib classes.

Kaltham, when I do it, people get annoyed. Maybe I'm just annoying, huh? LOLSubhanallah,

Yup Kaltham gots her persuasive Almaghrib speeches lined up even before she sees the person coming. Once she gets you...your hooked and sinking or shall I say rising with members of Qabyl Hayl which seems to be rising in the numbers as I write this.

UmmSakinah your in no way annoying...just pop out one of your most memorable Almaghrib stories for you totally got some mad stories to tell ...can tell from your articles.

Islam is a Blessing
08-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I have a list of sisters from COD msa, UIC, IIE, and northwestern...let's call them and we'll tell them that we have to meet up with them and say..."bahut zarurri hai..." and we'll surprise them "red carpet style"....i know waasssuuuuuuuuup.Yeaaaaaah you got me watching over my shoulder thinking that you and Ayesha are going to kidnap me and I don't wanna be surprised 'red carpet style' ouchh...I don't deserve such royal treatement...at least not yet =P

*Aasiyah*
08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
hmmmm....brothas killin the thread Olivia...

don't touch her thread brothas...but nice of u to amp up competition on this thread, fisibilillah.

OKAY. We need a team of sisters from different universities, I've gotten so far sisters from UIC, COD, and Northwestern interested to do dawah booths that will include publicity for AL-M inshaAllah. So if u are from other universities or if you are able to assist in this project, please post what you are able to do and add some other beneficial ideas. May Allah reward those who want to revive the sunnah and act upon it.

I wish you OHIO crew peeps could move here~we need your power of persuasion kaltham!