PDA

View Full Version : What's the Ruling on Love in Islam Memphis Mubeeners or Students of Love Notes?

mysisterskeeper
09-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Again!

Shaykh Yaser wanted the students of Love Notes to help me with this question. You may email me if you wish.

What's the Ruling on Love in Islam ?

I have asked this question before (3 times, this is the 4th) but nobody will answer. Are you all wondering the same thing maybe? HA!

Sooooooo.....who has an answer for me? Who's ready to show all of their Love Notes knowledge? C'mon, help a fellow student out!!! Hope to hear from you all soon!

ZkrofAllah
09-20-2006, 08:16 PM
so it can only be someone who has taken the "Love Notes" class... or can someone who has taken "Fiqh of Love" answer the question...or should i say ... TRY to answer the question????!!

ManOfFewWords
09-20-2006, 08:36 PM
I have to say I think the question is a sham. Its like asking what is the ruling of water in Islam or what is the ruling of ideas or thinking in Islam? Essentially, the response is a matter of limits on behavior; forbidding the actions that lead people to love evil things and commanding the actions that lead people to love good things.

Going further the ruling would probably forbid actions born from incidental love of evil things to contradict the sharia.

Yet the same exact principle can be applied to any emotion. Substitute love for hate, greed, jealousy, joy, shame et cetera and you get the same answer. Its just that there is so much "Hollywood" in Love that it is more popular and seemingly mysterious that people ask such quasi-mystical questions.

No offense to the questioner, but THIS is what I "love" to do.

mysisterskeeper
09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
No offense to the questioner, but THIS is what I "love" to do.
None taken. This was not a personal question, it was a class topic that may be on the final test.

mysisterskeeper
09-20-2006, 08:59 PM
so it can only be someone who has taken the "Love Notes" class... or can someone who has taken "Fiqh of Love" answer the question...or should i say ... TRY to answer the question????!!
If you have the answer, by all means Fiqh of Lover, HELP ME OUT! Jazakallah khayr and also to ManOfFewWords.

ZkrofAllah
09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Love is not in our hands. What proves this is what Prophet Muhammad (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) said when he used to distribute provision for his wives, he'd say, “O Allah, this is my distribution for what I have control of, but please don't hold me accountable for something I cannot control (his love for A'isha.)” In the Qur’an, Allah says, “It has been adorned for mankind (esp. for men) the love for shahawaat (desires) from the women, (and vice versa)" (Surah Al’Imran, 3: 14) In Ibn Qayyim’s, al-Jawaab al-Kaafi, he says, "As for loving women, there is no blame on a person who has love for them. On the contrary, it is part of his perfection (as a human being) for Allah says, ‘wa min ayaatihi an khalqa lakum min anfusakum azwaajal li taskunu ilayha wa ja’ala bainakum mawaddatuwn wa Rahmah’ (Quran, Surah ArRum.)” In Ibn Jawzee’s book titled "Dhaamul Hawaa’," he criticizes al ishq. He set a difference between the two types of love. He said that there are those who have kindness in their hearts, and then there are those who don't love (and their hearts are hard as rocks - "if you haven't loved passionately or known the meaning of desire then get up and eat hay for you are nothing but a donkey" and "you and the hard rock are equal.") Ibn Qayyim: "when we speak of rulings of love, we must describe two things. One is optional and one is not. The optional love is what leads to love (eyesight, association, etc.) and this is the love that you have to beware of (for it may lead to unlawful acts.) The non optional love, if it happens by the sudden look, or natural passions that develop, you cannot be blamed for it, but it's how you react to it that Allah will hold you to accountable for.......-- Insha'allah i pray that this helped!!:)..

WallhuAlam

farheen_ali
09-20-2006, 10:00 PM
hey anyone know when sheikh yasir comes online??

Um Tammer
09-21-2006, 06:17 AM
From what I can remember love could fit into all 5 catagories, I did not find
anything in my notes

mysisterskeeper
09-21-2006, 07:09 AM
hey anyone know when sheikh yasir comes online??
I'm not quite sure but I do notice him here in the evenings sometimes, after 8 or 9.

mysisterskeeper
09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Love is not in our hands. What proves this is what Prophet Muhammad (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) said when he used to distribute provision for his wives ... Insha'allah i pray that this helped!!:)..
WallhuAlam
Thank you so much for everyone's responses. It is much appreciated. Great answer by the way! It helped me out quite a bit.

Mehreen Khan
09-23-2006, 02:22 PM
salaam sister tahira! i'll try to post my notes on the topic ASAP inshaAllah :)