PDA

View Full Version : Debate between Ibn Abee Du'aad and Old Shaykh in Caliphate time: Anyone have it?

Ibn Shaima
11-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Asalamu alaykum wa rahmattallah,

Does anyone one have the full text of debate between the old shaykh (raheem Allah) and Ahmad Ibn Abee Du'aad that was mentioned in seminar?

That caliph's name, I did not hear clearly, was Wathiq or Wafiq, I can find the former in my wikipedia search but not the debate that was mentioned.

This was the debate that ended the fitna concerning the Speech of Allah, if I recall correctly, and Ibn Abee Du'aad was overcome by the old shaykh who used simple logic and Qur'an and sunnah, mash'Allah.

I have parts of the conversation, just not all of it.

Danish Hasan
12-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Wa 'alaykum as salaam

perhaps you are talking about Imaam Ahmed Ibn Hanbal (Rahimullah) and Ibn abee Du'ad. You can listen to most of those in Profiles of Courage by Safi Khan.

Allahu 'Alim

Ibn Shaima
12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Asalamu alaykum,

Jazakallah khayr. It may be another shaykh later on, as Shaykh Muhammad said Imam Ahmad RA was dead at the time of this debate. This later debate ended the fitna and got Ibn Abee Du'aad kicked out of the caliph's court after he was defeated. This was an old shaykh, someone told me from Shams.

I almost have all of the main points, I just want it exact. Allahu Allam.

Asalamu alaykum