PDA

View Full Version : Dowry Question

HiBz EsSenSe
02-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Asalamu Alaikum WaRahmatullahi WaBarakatu

Bismillah, Please correct me if Im wrong, but what I understood from FOL & LN is that the dowry is due at the time of consumation... So As per this Hadith:

Narrated Sahl: "......A woman came to the Prophet, and presented herself to him (for marriage). He said, "I am not in need of women these days." Then a man said, "O Allah's Apostle! Marry her to me." The Prophet asked him, "What have you got?" He said, "I have got nothing." The Prophet said, "Give her something, even an iron ring." He said, "I have got nothing." The Prophet asked (him), "How much of the Quran do you know (by heart)?" He said, "So much and so much." The Prophet said, "I have married her to you for what you know of the Quran." [Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 72]

If the dowry agreed upon is Quran & not money, then would it hold the same ruling of due time? Or would it then be an exception, and he could wait to teach her the Quran till after the consumation

Jazakullahu Khairun wasalamu Alaikum WaRAhmatullahi WaBarakatu

peaceman
02-18-2007, 04:25 AM
Salam alaikum wrb,

What the scholars say is that the dowry (or Mahr or Sudaqah) becomes due once the marriage is consumated; i.e. it becomes owed. It doesn't mean it has to be payed before the consumation.

If the man already paid the dowry, and the marriage gets consumated, the dowry belongs to the wife. If the marriage is anulled before the consumation, and the man already paid the dower, the scholars say that the woman is entitled to keep half. If he hasn't given her anything, and the marriage gets annulled, she doesn't get anything from the dowry, however the man should give the woman a gift.

This ruling may be a bit slightly different than the verses that are mentioned in Surah Baqarah, about the dowry, however it is what I have read from the scholars. It states in surah baqarah that the woman gets a half, in the case that the two parties (the man and woman) both refuse to give up their share.

And Allah knows

HiBz EsSenSe
02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Jazakullahu Khaiurn br peaceman

..Let do this Abu Hanifa style .. (The Think Tank):

"Does everyone agree , or hold a different understanding regarding this?" Shaykh Yaser ?

djveed
02-22-2007, 11:14 PM
That is what I remember as well - the actual payment is not necessarily required, however it does become a debt, and carries with it everything that a normal debt does carry with it.

The woman can, however, at any point forgive her husband's debts (useful in case the husband passes away before the meher is given).

Forgive me if I'm wrong... waiting for someone of knowledge to chime in.