PDA

View Full Version : Compulsive Lying

Sadaqah
03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Salam,
What are steps that can help you aid a spouse, friend or family member from this horrible trait. Some people have been saying that it is alright to lie to your spouse, mother, father or other so they won't get upset. Is this permissible?

asyed
03-27-2007, 09:09 PM
i think i remember hearing something like lying is only allowed when used to bring concilliation between two parties

islamictruth1985
03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
i think i remember hearing something like lying is only allowed when used to bring concilliation between two parties
from ROE(rules of engagment)

OKAY TO LIE:
1) Trying to help two people come together
2) lie when captured to protect interest of people.
3) lying to wife or husband w/ good intention:
- great dinner honey, even thought it wasn’t all that
- okay to lie about physical appearance

wa'allahu a'alam

Sadaqah
03-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Yes, I understand that.
What if it goes beyond the one or two lies, that everything becomes a lie for the sake of reconciliation?

Nida A.
03-28-2007, 07:43 AM
I don't think it's acceptable to lie at any point. The truth will eventually come out, and create further problems for a husband and wife (or with family, or with friends).
We all will, at one point, lie to protect ourselves or our spouse. It's better if we don't.
I know, especially with women in my culture, a little fibbing is natural. It's still wrong, one small lie becomes another small lie becomes another until it snowballs and then you have one BIG lie. Very sticky, unpleasant situation...and unneccessary.
As far as lying about a bad meal being good, why not say something like
"hmm, that was different than what you usually make, but I prefer the old classics, you're so skilled at that" or "Next time, we do the cooking together."

Interesting thread...I look forward to hearing tips on how to stop this bad habit