PDA

View Full Version : Tahanuth?

Sistamatic
04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I coudn't find any information about tahanuth so here goes:

Is Tahanuth the seclusion performed by the Prophet SallaAllahu alayhi wasallam specifically? or does it refer to seclusion in general. How does it differ from I'tikaf?

Muhammad Alshareef
04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I coudn't find any information about tahanuth so here goes:

Is Tahanuth the seclusion performed by the Prophet SallaAllahu alayhi wasallam specifically? or does it refer to seclusion in general. How does it differ from I'tikaf?
Alhamdulillah.
Aisha, radi Allahu 'anha, defined tahannuth in the hadith as "to perform Ibadah for consecutive nights"

So, if you know I'tikaaf, it is the same, except that I'tikaaf is specific to the Masjid. If someone wanted to worship Allah for an extended period of time outside of the Masjid, it would not be considered i'tikaaf. It could still be considered worship, however.

Also, you might want to take note that the Prophet, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, did not do this after he received revelation. He would do I'tikaaf in the Masjid.

And Allah knows best

Sistamatic
04-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Alhamdulillah.
If someone wanted to worship Allah for an extended period of time outside of the Masjid, it would not be considered i'tikaaf. It could still be considered worship, however.

One more thing( or two)....

Say if a woman were to do this within her home, would this worship be refered to as tahanuth? Are there any rewards mentioned for a person who does this?

Jazakallahu khairan for a swift reply.

Muhammad Alshareef
04-16-2007, 12:37 PM
One more thing( or two)....

Say if a woman were to do this within her home, would this worship be refered to as tahanuth? Are there any rewards mentioned for a person who does this?

Jazakallahu khairan for a swift reply.
This was covered in the Rizq Management seminar, about I'tikaaf.

If a woman worshipped Allah all night in her home, this is not considered I'tikaaf, but more like Qiyaam ul-Layl.

For sure she will get rewarded for it, in sha Allah. It's just not I'tikaaf.

Sistamatic
04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
So Tahanuth is pretty much i'tikaaf. Except that I'tikaaf is now limited to the masjid. I remember the details about I'tikaaf from the Rizq management class.
It all makes sense now...