PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin Franklin's Muhasabah

sbegum
04-30-2007, 11:10 PM
I was really interested in Benjamin Franklin's list of virtues that were mentioned in class. As a young man he wrote down 13 virtues in a book that he kept with him for most of his life. He would evaluate himself on a daily basis with respect to these virtues, and he would also pick one virtue to focus on each week.

The 13 virtues that he chose were:

Temperance
Silence
Order
Resolution
Frugality
Industry
Sincerity
Justice
Moderation
Cleanliness
Tranquility
Chastity
Humility

bintnagwa
04-30-2007, 11:24 PM
I was really interested in Benjamin Franklin's list of virtues that were mentioned in class. As a young man he wrote down 13 virtues in a book that he kept with him for most of his life. He would evaluate himself on a daily basis with respect to these virtues, and he would also pick one virtue to focus on each week.

The 13 virtues that he chose were:

Temperance
Silence
Order
Resolution
Frugality
Industry
Sincerity
Justice
Moderation
Cleanliness
Tranquility
Chastity
Humility
Its interesting that some of these virtues were taught by the Prophet PBUH to the sahaba long before the time of Benjamin Franklin. We would all be better muslims if we followed the example of Prophet PBUH and the sahaba.

Sirius1
05-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Humility
Humility?

I thought he never added that to his list despite his friend's suggestion saying that it was hard for him to be humble after gaining so many virtues...

If I heard it right...

sbegum
05-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Humility?

I thought he never added that to his list despite his friend's suggestion saying that it was hard for him to be humble after gaining so many virtues...

If I heard it right...
Yes, that is what I remember from class too. In Franklin's autobiography, he writes:

"My list of virtues contain'd at first but twelve; but a Quaker friend having kindly informed me that I was generally thought proud; that my pride show'd itself frequently in conversation; that I was not content with being in the right when discussing any point, but was overbearing, and rather insolent, of which he convinc'd me by mentioning several instances..."

I am not sure if he actually evaluated his humility, but according to the reading I did, he did add it to his list.

ManOfFewWords
05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
two points:

Benjamin Franklin was affiliated with a group of Parisian Satan worshippers. I wont go as far as calling him a Satan worshipper though there is some evidence. I wonder how we can categorize that "virtue."

As a point of interest Ben's autobiography is on the ALA's most banned book list. The ostensible reason being "social reasons."

hibahmac
05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
two points:

Benjamin Franklin was affiliated with a group of Parisian Satan worshippers. I wont go as far as calling him a Satan worshipper though there is some evidence. I wonder how we can categorize that "virtue."

As a point of interest Ben's autobiography is on the ALA's most banned book list. The ostensible reason being "social reasons."
Ben Franklin's known effort at self-improvement was presented as an idea to spur our own jihad an-nafs efforts with sabr jameel.

If you do your reading before the course (don't know if/when Qabeelat Wasat has/will have this seminar), it comes up in one of the books recommended as preparation for the course, Hyrum Smith's book.

It's important for us to not get into idolizing anyone, and I don't think anyone has crossed that line. JazaakAllah khair for the warning and reminder.

Furthermore, I thought the adab of Islamic society that led to its heyday while Europe was in the dark involved that very thing - taking the beneficial of the past (without endorsing the homosexuality and kufr of the Greeks and Romans, for example) and building upon it, expanding it.

I read about Ben Franklin's improvement efforts in the book before the seminar and was inspired to make a salah and saum log. Hey, if anyone knows of any of the sahabah who did a similar thing (I know of the hadith of Umar al-Khattab (raa) re: muhasabah) then please share.

Let's take the inspiration or encouragement to perfect our akhlaq whence it comes, inshaAllah, protecting self from embracing any kufr.

Megan Wyatt
05-31-2007, 02:32 AM
Well said Sister Hibah...in general, there "is nothing new under the sun," shaytann has the same tricks, and virtue always was and will be....

the ultimate question is: how hard are we striving to perfect our akhlaq.