PDA

View Full Version : Polygamy

lightofAllah
05-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Assalaamu alaykum

This message is for Shaykh Yaser Birjas. Does a man have to seek permission from his first wife to take a second wife?

If a women is interested in entering into Polygamy with a man does she have to seek permission from his first wife?

Does she have to have the first wifes approval?

Jazak Allah Khair

lightofAllah
05-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Assalaamu alaykum Alhumdolillah

Jazak Allah Khair for the information. I am new to Al-Maghrib and have attended only one seminar which was the Code Evolved. I am also new at trying to find answers to my questions on the forums. May be, I don't have the patience and time to browse around with two kids, homeschooling taking classes of my own, cooking, cleaning doing laundry etc. Masha Allah you made it easy for me!

Jazak Allah Khair

1/2AWiseMan
05-13-2007, 08:28 AM
i agree with br/sr zubeida and would like to add that the man should attempt to please first wife when making the decision. I am saying this from an answer given by Sheikh Munajjad from islam-qa.

so he mainly said that, it is not a condition to have wife's approval but is highly recommended. This is from Fiqh point of view(but of course it is more practical to have 2 happy wives than 2 angry ones, or 3 or 4)

and Allah knows best

yasser_z
05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
br. Yahya Ibrahim has a good lecture on marriage in Islam and he says that a woman can set a condition that the husband cannot take a 2nd wife while with her, and if he does then she has the right to khula or she can re-negotiate her maher.

sh. Khalid Yasin has an excellent dvd lecture on the topic, where he talks about the benefits of having a co-wife...its called "advice to the muslim women." It put the entire topic into a new light for me, there is actually so much wisdom in it! the one point i remember clearly is that it actually frees up time for the husband and wife to have time alone and develop their relationship

lastly, I've been recommended sh. Bilal Phillips' book on the topic as well. try to find it. he, as usual, is very thorough and well-read in his analysis. we heard him speak last night here in toronto and it was about parental abuse. great topic. he talked at one point about how parents raise their kids. he goes.." modern civilization has seperated church from state, so people have taken away their source of guidance. so what do they rely upon? they rely on human experience. human experience meaning, theories, postulations and hypothesis. and where do these come from? animals. lets look at how our monkey cousins do it. " loool, he makes it sound so ridiculous.. I love him for the sake of Allah.

wasalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah,

fLoW
05-17-2007, 12:34 AM
sh. Khalid Yasin has an excellent dvd lecture on the topic, where he talks about the benefits of having a co-wife...its called "advice to the muslim women." It put the entire topic into a new light for me, there is actually so much wisdom in it! the one point i remember clearly is that it actually frees up time for the husband and wife to have time alone and develop their relationship
Just wanted to add a comment. This IS an excellent dvd and I'm glad you mentioned this because I want to purchase it but I forgot the name of it. SubhanAllah after listnening to this CD I was totally cool with someone getting a second wife. Before I listened to it, I would feel a little uncomfortable with the topic and just say "there must be wisdom behind this because Allah has allowed it".. You should definitely purchase it. http://forums.almaghrib.org/images/icons/icon14.gif