PDA

View Full Version : BrotherS in Law...What's the Difference?

SiBgha_z
07-02-2007, 08:52 AM
As Salamu'Alaykum,

I don't think this question was covered in our Love Notes Seminar.

Is there a distinction between a woman's interaction with her Sister's Husband & her interaction with her Husband's Brother.
I was talking to someone and they were saying it seems illogical to deal with both relations in a different way because they are both Non Mehrams for the woman. However, for the most part I've heard people say otherwise, that your sister's husband is more of a mehram for you than your husband's brother. (This argument could very well be cultural.)

The only daleel that I could find that kind of supports the latter argument is:
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) warned against the husband's relatives who are not mahrams to the wife entering upon her. It was reported from 'Uqbah ibn 'Aamir that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Beware of entering upon women." A man from among the Ansaar said: "O Messenger of Allah, what about the brother-in-law?" he said: "The brother-in-law is death." (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4934; Muslim, 2172).

The word in the hadith used was was 'il 7amuw' which is the brother-in-law (your husband's brother.)

I also came across this fatwa.

Can you please shed some light on this.

JazakAllahu Khairan.

Teena
07-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Assalamu Alaikom, I was wondering the other day when I went to visit my aunt (father's sister) that I haven't seen in 10 years if her husband is considered to be my uncle? I was unsure so I treated him like a non-Mehram. Teena