PDA

View Full Version : combining the wedding and walima

working4islam
07-24-2007, 11:20 PM
assalaamu alaikum

i'm not sure if this is something new, but i've recently seen some wedding parties where the man's side and the woman's side combined their resources to just have one event. (as one of my freinds explained) this is usually done when most of the guests are freinds/relatives of the two sides...this way instead of inviting everyone to two different events (and spending twice as must), they hold one event and share the cost.

would this method interfere with the sunnah (of the man having a walima)? does this suffice as the walima or should a seperate event be held just to fulfill the sunnah?

jazakumullah khairun

MSalah
07-25-2007, 02:54 PM
As salaamu aleykum wa rahmatulaahi wa barakaatuh

Ok, now I'm utterly confused.

You mind if I ask which part of the world this tradition of holding two Walimas hails comes from? (We're & have been quite confident about one Walima for a long time now.)

M

Fouzia Usman/Quest
07-25-2007, 03:02 PM
As salaamu aleykum wa rahmatulaahi wa barakaatuh

Ok, now I'm utterly confused.

You mind if I ask which part of the world this tradition of holding two Walimas hails comes from? (We're & have been quite confident about one Walima for a long time now.)

M
Wa alaikum Salaam Wa Rahmatyllahi wa barakatuhu
I dont think it is a tradition, but I have also seen this happening out of necessity(because of financial situation of both the families) irrespective of culture/country.

Umm Umaarah
07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
You mind if I ask which part of the world this tradition of holding two Walimas comes from? (We're & have been quite confident about one Walima for a long time now.)In Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi culture, there are two parties for marriages. There is one the day of the nikah, which is hosted by the bride's family. And a couple of days later - the walima - which is hosted by the groom's family.

What some people do, for financial reasons, is combine both parties and have a walima (which they both pay for). And the question would be, is that enough for a walima? (Since the groom has to pay for the walima).

wallahu Alam...that's what I understood.

working4islam
07-25-2007, 06:32 PM
In Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi culture, there are two parties for marriages. There is one the day of the nikah, which is hosted by the bride's family. And a couple of days later - the walima - which is hosted by the groom's family.

What some people do, for financial reasons, is combine both parties and have a walima (which they both pay for). And the question would be, is that enough for a walima? (Since the groom has to pay for the walima).

wallahu Alam...that's what I understood.

jazakillah khair for clarifying. you understood correctly.

but i would like to add, i'm not sure if the combined event is called walima, as it is a combination of the wedding/nikah and the walima. since the male is responsible for the walima, would this event suffice?