PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to TV

Kamal
08-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Assalmou alaikoum

It is very tempting when you are busy/tired/need intimacy, to put your baby/children in front of the TV and go for what you have to do.

But when you don't have any TV and don't want one, how can you manage this type of situation?

wassalam

Teena
08-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Wa Alaikom salaam, well, we have a TV, but we don't have cable, and there is nothing suitable for children on TV anyways, so we don't let them watch TV. Maybe once a month, I'll let my 6 year old watch Barney or something on VHS. Normally, if I'm busy I send her to play in her room or color. I have gotten used to being bothered all day long during the day, but I handle it like this: my children have strict bedtimes even though one is homeschooled and the other is only 1 year old. They are in bed by 9:00 every night. After the kids are in bed, I am usually up for several hours to unwind or do what I need to do. Night time is Mommy's quiet time. It's almost as if I crave that. By the time night comes, I'm like when is it time to put these kids to bed?! Anyways, every parent needs time away from their children to keep their sanity. You just have to find something that works for you, maybe a quiet activity that your children enjoy. Every once in a while, we get a relative to baby sit and we go to dinner or something without the children. Teena

Hala
08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
The only thing my nieces and nephews watch on TV is those Islamic tapes, like Adam's world and stuff. From that, they learned about salaah and other fundamental topics kids should learn. Even though they too have cable running, alhamdulilah, nobody really watches it.

Another thing they're hooked on is board games/puzzles. They also go to a hifdh school and preparing for that takes up most of their week. Any extra time goes to extra curricular activity outside the home.

When you fill their schedule with fun and educational things to do, TV won't even seem enjoyable to them, and eventually, in shaa Allah ta'ala they won't care to turn it on.

Wallahu A'lam.

Teena
08-28-2007, 06:01 PM
The key is not letting them get hooked to the TV in the first place. My neice and nephew will watch TV all day if you let them. They used to not like coming to my house because I wouldn't let them watch TV (I still don't but they have gotten used to it.) I think TV is so bad for kids. Even cartoons these days are so disgusting! We used to let them occasionally watch Boomerang (it has cartoons from when we were children) and Noggin (Barney and Dora), but even this has adverse side effects. The other day I read an article about the connection between Tv and childhood obesity: they did a study that showed that in one Saturday morning of cartoons there were 202 commercials for junk food. Anyways, that's just another reason. Teena

Mubarak
08-28-2007, 07:15 PM
A lot of good points have been mentioned above and the key is to motivate your children by offering them alternatives that will add to their skills.

It is very important that children, while they are still young, develop a love for reading and adding to their knowledge. By establishing this foundation of “Reading is Fun”, years later you’ll bring your children so much benefit by planting that seed of exploring the world of words.

Now if you have internet, it could bring benefit or it could bring a lot of harm, just monitor their activities and limit their usage.

Another alternative could be enrolling them into a sports team of some sort. For example, placing your children into the local community soccer league where they would practice maybe twice a week and play three or four games/month. Obviously I would encourage any parent to support their children in their involvement in sports by attending all their games and practices and it’s a very good alternative to watching TV. The children get a chance to develop their athletic skills and you get an hour or two of quiet time, lets just say, I call that a Win Win situation.

At the end of the day, you just have to find what works for your children and what brings the MOST benefit and at the time, something they can enjoy. Different families have different methods and just remember the key to everything is making dou’aa to Allah. Ask Allah to keep the interest of His religion in your children’s heart and to place them in the ranks of the pious.

Generous_1
08-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I would assume depending on their age and level of activeness you can't leave them unsupervised even to watch tv. It is dangerous. You might want to give them a lot of play activities to do during the times you are busy so they get tired at around the time when you want to unwind.