PDA

View Full Version : Question for the brothers..

AKA
12-04-2007, 02:22 AM
assalamu alaykum

I was having this conversation with my friend on hijab and other girly stuff. Her thing is guys actually get more attracted to a niqabi than a hijabi and that they would be considered more *beautiful*. You know the super modest, pious,niqabi who wears the niqab out of her own choice and will. I'm wondering if that's true..do the brothers find niqabis more *appealing*?
p.s I dont intend to start a hijab-niqab debate, so please refrain from that if you're gonna post. jazakAllah Khayr.

BlessedMuslimah
12-04-2007, 02:28 AM
wa'alaykum us salaam warhamatullahee wabarakatuhu

I'm definitely not a guy, but this answer would seem to depend on the actual guy in question. To put it simply, there are many different guys out there, with many different preference's (even the "religious" ones). Wa Allahu 'Alam.

AKA
12-04-2007, 02:34 AM
wa'alaykum us salaam warhamatullahee wabarakatuhu

I'm definitely not a guy, but this answer would seem to depend on the actual guy in question. To put it simply, there are many different guys out there, with many different preference's (even the "religious" ones). Wa Allahu 'Alam.nah, we weren't talking about any particular guy. hmm perhaps it's different for different people. I asked my brother and he just blushed LOL.

BlessedMuslimah
12-04-2007, 02:50 AM
nah, we weren't talking about any particular guy. hmm perhaps it's different for different people. I asked my brother and he just blushed LOL.Oh, I didn't mean to say that the question was referring to a particular guy - I meant that the answer to the question will depend on what type of individual you ask it to, rather than having one collective answer.

Because each brothers values and views differ, what they find attractive, what they are drawn to, or what they "prefer" will also differ. Wa Allahu 'Alam

AKA
12-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Oh, I didn't mean to say that the question was referring to a particular guy - I meant that the answer to the question will depend on what type of individual you ask it to, rather than having one collective answer.

Because each brothers values and views differ, what they find attractive, what they are drawn to, or what they "prefer" will also differ. Wa Allahu 'Alamright. I want to hear it from the brothers. how many of them would find a niqabi appealing? and the reasons..

Mubarak
12-04-2007, 04:06 AM
I actually have a friend who is "more" attracted to niqabi's than any other type of women and his reasons would be, her strong sense of modesty. I guess the fact that the sister is wearing a niqab while living in our society, tells him alot about her character (and Allah knows best).

But when I ask him to explain his preference and where he developed this opinion, he becomes almost lost for words, except for one hadeeth in which he uses as support.

He says, "The Messenger of Allah (saw) said, "modesty produces nothing but good" and I perfer a niqabi". When I think about it, I cant help but admire his answer.

But the most common preference amongst brothers I hear nowadays is...........

Well lets just wait and see if any brothers mention it before I do...http://forums.almaghrib.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

AKA
12-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I actually have a friend who is "more" attracted to niqabi's than any other type of women and his reasons would be, her strong sense of modesty. I guess the fact that the sister is wearing a niqab while living in our society, tells him alot about her character (and Allah knows best).

But when I ask him to explain his preference and where he developed this opinion, he becomes almost lost for words, except for one hadeeth in which he uses as support.

He says, "The Messenger of Allah (saw) said, "modesty produces nothing but good" and I perfer a niqabi". When I think about it, I cant help but admire his answer.

Well lets just wait and see if any brothers mention it before I do...http://forums.almaghrib.org/images/icons/icon7.gifI assume all men out here are way too shy.. like my brother. so can we have the answer please?

AKA
12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

In Islam the woman is a vessel of intelligence and beauty. She is respected and adored for her virtues and talents by all. Muslim women dress modestly. In a tradition of the prophet (peace be upon him), he says, (which means): Modesty produces nothing but good. Also: Modesty is a part of faith and faith is in Paradise....... Every religion has a character, and the character of Islam is modesty. Also, we should try to stay away from the terms 'Hijabi' 'Niqabi' if possible, in sha Allah because these are not terms that were used during the times of the Porphet Muhammed (p.b..u.h.) & the Salaf. These are terms that were invented by westerners who sometimes use it in a negative way. That's just my opinion & Allah knows best. inshAllah no problem if the words are used to describe and not discriminate against someone. wAllahu 'alam.

Shama Naz
12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
There would be brothers who will feel that niqab will complete all that they find attractive, for some others niqab is a little too much and then there are brothers who just don't find hijab or niqab attractive at all.
Its like asking a sister if they like long bearded brothers, short bearded brothers, a goatee would do or maybe just a little bit of shave. Or they dont like bearded men at all.
Peoples' preferences are shaped by and subject to their environment, upbringing and the company they keep. Trying to find a generalization if brothers find sisters with niqab attractive seems a little less then genius

Whitney S
12-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Personally I don't think we should contimplate on what brothers think how a sister looks attractive in a hijab or niqab. The reason for both is to shield themselves from the glances of men(not to wear it so a Muslim man will look and find that attractive) Men are commanded to lower their gaze as well as women. So I do not think that we should worry about wether or not brothers will find a niqabi or hijabi appealing, especially since we are doing it to please Allah swt and not to wear a garmet to show off.

I understand that men and women have their preferences, but that should pertain to what they think is Islamically appropriate not attractive.

waAllahu Alim

AKA
12-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Its like asking a sister if they like long bearded brothers, short bearded brothers, a goatee would do or maybe just a little bit of shave. Or they dont like bearded men at all.
Peoples' preferences are shaped by and subject to their environment, upbringing and the company they keep. Trying to find a generalization if brothers find sisters with niqab attractive seems a little less then geniusI'll rephrase the question. There's no generalization being done. It's like finding out if there are brothers who find niqab more appealing. I'm just curious to know since my interaction with non-mahrams is limited save at work.

hassanm
12-04-2007, 11:32 AM
A sister with niqab commands respect and strikes fear and reminds others of Allah.

Whitney S
12-04-2007, 11:40 AM
sister AKA,

Do you think it really matters that some brother's find niqab more appealing? The hijab and niqab should be worn out of love and fear for Allah swt. I think by knowing whether brother's find niqab/hijab more appealing one might be risking their intentions as to why they would wear hijab/niqab (whether they are aware of it or not). waAllahu Alim I do not think there is a need for this thread.

Hala
12-04-2007, 11:44 AM
The irony of this thread is, sister AKA wanted to know what brothers think, and this is generating more responses from the sisters.

AKA
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
sister AKA,

Do you think it really matters that some brother's find niqab more appealing? The hijab and niqab should be worn out of love and fear for Allah swt. I think by knowing whether brother's find niqab/hijab more appealing one might be risking their intentions as to why they would wear hijab/niqab (whether they are aware of it or not). waAllahu Alim I do not think there is a need for this thread.If you want to observe niqab to please you husband, doesnt that account to pleasing Allah? Afterall the point of hijab/niqab is also to preserve a woman's beauty for her husband alone. sorry, no offense but I'm interested in knowing what the bro's have got to say.

AKA
12-04-2007, 12:14 PM
The irony of this thread is, sister AKA wanted to know what brothers think, and this is generating more responses from the sisters.yup. you can lock this thread up tomorrow inshAllah, just in case someone's gotta post something. jazakAllah khayr

Whitney S
12-04-2007, 12:26 PM
If you want to observe niqab to please you husband, doesnt that account to pleasing Allah? Afterall the point of hijab/niqab is also to preserve a woman's beauty for her husband alone. sorry, no offense but I'm interested in knowing what the bro's have got to say.
I understand and agree with your point on preserving a woman's beauty only for her husband, but is it neccessary to ask all the brothers? Wouldn't it be more effective for a sister to ask her husband, and if she is not married than she would ask her potential spouse that question. WaAllahu Alim.

AKA
12-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I understand and agree with your point on preserving a woman's beauty only for her husband, but is it neccessary to ask all the brothers? Wouldn't it be more effective for a sister to ask her husband, and if she is not married than she would ask her potential spouse that question. WaAllahu Alim.but neither of us are married or engaged. we're just plain curious. i'm done with explaining myself *sigh*

Whitney S
12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I misunderstood the point of this thread, because of the use of the word "appealing" I thought the question was asking which the brother's thought was more appealing hijab or niqab, which didn't make sense to me, maybe you could ask the same question but word it like "which would you prefer your wife to wear, hijab or niqab? either way I don't see the point but I understand being curious about it. Please forgive me if I misunderstood in any way.

AKA
12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I misunderstood the point of this thread, because of the use of the word "appealing" I thought the question was asking which the brother's thought was more appealing hijab or niqab, which didn't make sense to me, maybe you could ask the same question but word it like "which would you prefer your wife to wear, hijab or niqab? either way I don't see the point but I understand being curious about it. Please forgive me if I misunderstood in any way.appealing as in for marriage of course! not the '"lookin' around at beautiful women" for visual gratification. no need to apologize hon, in fact i'm sorry to come off rude.

Whitney S
12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
no harm done :)

Asha
12-04-2007, 03:09 PM

Hey i am actually waiting for your answer!!! I wanna know :(
For that matter any brothers answer is welcomed by me!

DONT BE MEAN!! some of the sisters i have asked this question to answered in a way that i wish i never asked to begin with.

omer_k88
12-04-2007, 04:07 PM
To answer the questions posed.

Think of a niqaabi sister as a supermodel...I mean like really up there. Are the guys going to be attracted to her? YES! But it's that type of attraction that recognizes, "she's too good for you--she's too good for any of us, so that's why she has to be mine" lol so the least a bro can do is give respect. For one thing it says, "I am Muslim to the CORE of my Bones."

But that said a sister in hijab is still seen as being majorly beautiful. Lots of brothers will agree to that. Why? Do you think us guys want a girl who shows off her body--Muslim or non-Muslim--there is a part that recognizes this as a risk to a relationship.

But often the bros find out that the "oh-so religious sister" is kind of snooty, refuses to socialize even a little or is the opposite and flirts more than a not-so religious sister. I think that's a condition of our times. But that can't happen really with a niqaabi. Keep in mind the niqaabis are still new to NA.

I would go far as to say that this is the Ijma among the Majlis of Men. :D
Eat your hearts out sisters ahah!

Sarah Mushtaq
12-04-2007, 06:40 PM
This thread is quite amusing.

AKA
12-05-2007, 02:15 AM
This thread is quite amusing.a break...from the regular ones ;-)

AKA
12-05-2007, 02:21 AM
To answer the questions posed.

Think of a niqaabi sister as a supermodel...I mean like really up there. Are the guys going to be attracted to her? YES! But it's that type of attraction that recognizes, "she's too good for you--she's too good for any of us, so that's why she has to be mine" lol so the least a bro can do is give respect. For one thing it says, "I am Muslim to the CORE of my Bones."

But that said a sister in hijab is still seen as being majorly beautiful. Lots of brothers will agree to that. Why? Do you think us guys want a girl who shows off her body--Muslim or non-Muslim--there is a part that recognizes this as a risk to a relationship.

But often the bros find out that the "oh-so religious sister" is kind of snooty, refuses to socialize even a little or is the opposite and flirts more than a not-so religious sister. I think that's a condition of our times. But that can't happen really with a niqaabi. Keep in mind the niqaabis are still new to NA.

I would go far as to say that this is the Ijma among the Majlis of Men. :D
Eat your hearts out sisters ahah!
finally something from a brother! hmm..oh and ibn abbas we're still waitin'.

omer_k88
12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Please keep in mind that Niqaab and Hijaab are just possible indicators of righteousness...but if there's no righteousness--and indeed sinfulness is not easily hidden--then that's the end of the story. :)

Just about every sister you could say is "pretty" and her personality is "nice" but really that's nothing big. The sisters who get the most proposals, I believe, are the ones that are extremely pious, sweet, and intelligent--not just "I can quote scholars, Q and S and follow them to the dot" religious but really devoted to Allah (think Maryam as), able to think for herself (like a rebel almost) and be an active member of the Ummah (think social worker-type)...

'Nuff Said.

Generous_1
12-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I have plenty of respect for Niqaabis, I know a couple personally. That is how it is with everyone mostly. Being a niqaabi in this society shows real strength of character and deen. For brothers, I suppose they are not as big on whole issue of 'I have to respect you to like you to marry you' as the sisters are. I'm speculating here.

Abdullah Bin Jahash
12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
as salamu alaykum wa rahmatullah. bro adil, i like the hadeeth u have in ur signature. could u plz tell me what's the source of it. Jazakumullahu khayran. wa as salamu alaykum.

Mubarak
12-06-2007, 02:27 AM
...But the most common preference amongst brothers I hear nowadays is..Well the above statement is a generalization and I obviously cant speak for all brothers but since yesterday I made an effort to ask some brothers 3 Questions regarding this thread. Well actually, only one question relates to this thread and I just wanted to know, what their views were.

So I presented my mini survey to five brothers and my questions were (or the one question relevant to this thread was)

1) For marriage, do you perfer a hajabi or a sister with a niqab?

And I got short answers and long answers and some answers that made me laugh (but ofcourse, I couldnt laugh freely in front of them because that might take them away from their honest train of thought) but subhanAllah, four out of the five brothers answered with "naqab".

To summarize why they chose niqab, I would say...a sister with naqab demands respect. A brother said, "the pride in a woman is covering herself and the more she covers herself, the more I respect her and want to marry her".

To tell you the truth, I dont know any brother that wouldnt feel happy to be married to a niqabi. For example, without getting into the debate of whether the naqab is fard or sunnah, the best example I could think about at the moment is, a sister who is married to a brother who prays his five salah and lets say, he guards his salah and performs them at the masjid. MashAllah this brother is nice and he'll probably encourage his wife to pray and come with him to the masjid when possible and things. But then, there is that brother who performs all his salah at the masjid but on the other hand, when everyone at his home, hits the sheets and starts to enjoy that deep sleep, he gets up and prays to Allah in private that his wife wouldnt even know about this act.

I know its not the best example, and you're probably wondering where am I going with this example. The point am I trying to get across is to simplify why some brothers would perfer a naqabi above a hijabi. See the sister with the hijab is recognized as obeying Allah as is the brother who performs his salah at the masjid but the sister with naqab is recognized as taking it to the next level as that brother who performs his salah and stands up at night to pray to Allah.

Both levels are good and without getting into the issue of whether the act is done with sincerity or not, thats another conversation and only Allah truly knows. But we can all agree that naqab is not an easy step for a sister to take and the example of the brother standing at night, doesnt bring justice to her. As for hijab, alhamdulilah, more and more sisters are covering themselves to the point that society has become comfortable with that form of life. Even for a brother to wear a Khamis and walk into WalMart, he probably wouldnt feel uncomfortable because people wouldnt be looking at him with that funny look but a sister with a naqab, for some reason, its still a No No in most ignorant places. For that reason, she will always have a higher value in the eyes of brothers and Allah knows best.

Forgive me if I said anything wrong. Believe me, I wasnt trying to degrade a level of sisters while raising another level of sisters. For the record, I didnt add my own opinions to this thread because like AKA said, brothers are shy to state their views (well most brothers except for a brave heart like brother Omer http://forums.almaghrib.org/images/icons/icon12.gif) but I asked some brothers their views and tried to contribute to this thread in a positive way so once again, if I said anything that got under your skin, forgive me for the sake of Allah.

Wa alaikum assalam

ahmn
12-06-2007, 03:53 AM
I want a niqabi for myself :)

ahmn
12-06-2007, 03:56 AM
For the record, I didnt add my own opinions to this thread because like AKA said, brothers are shy to state their views (well most brothers except for a brave heart like brother Omer http://forums.almaghrib.org/images/icons/icon12.gif) but I asked some brothers their views and tried to contribute to this thread in a positive way so once again, if I said anything that got under your skin, forgive me for the sake of Allah.
start a poll, I bet many brothers will vote ;)

brother_bruce
12-06-2007, 07:41 AM
No need to start a poll. I think this thread has served its purpose.

jazakumAllahu khayr for your responses.