PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of this hadith.

nmakh
01-07-2008, 01:09 AM
As Salam Alaikum.

Narrated Abdullah bin Umar (RA),
We used to eat during the time of Messenger of Allah (SAW) while we were walking and we used to drink while we were standing.
Al-Jamií at-Tirmidhi; Kitab al-sharabat, bab 11, hadith # 1880

I read the above hadith in a book, could anyone with Al-Jamií at-Tirmidhi please check it out if this is an authentic hadith.

nybrother
01-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Assalamu 'alaikum

I don't know the strength of the hadith, but I have heard it explained before. The person who explained it mentioned that this doesn't mean that it was a regular habit and custom to eat and drink while standing. Rather it is a refutation of the extreme view that it is completely 100% haram in all cases to eat or drink while standing. And Allah knows best.

Al-Hayaa
02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Assalamu 'alaikum

I don't know the strength of the hadith, but I have heard it explained before. The person who explained it mentioned that this doesn't mean that it was a regular habit and custom to eat and drink while standing. Rather it is a refutation of the extreme view that it is completely 100% haram in all cases to eat or drink while standing. And Allah knows best.
Could you eleborate more on the statement about eating and drinking is 100% haram pls, i hav heard of it b4 and there is a hadith where in Rasoolulah (SAW) forbade us to drink while standing...is your daleel frm that hadith or another?

jazakallahu khayr.