PDA

View Full Version : Removing hijab for husband to be

sister phi
02-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Disclaimer: I haven't taken this class.

I had read that it is ok for a man that is seriously considering a woman for marriage to ask her to remove her niqab (i.e. to look at her before the marriage). I recently heard that this applies also to regular hijab (i.e. just the headscarf). Is that true? Did you guys talk about this in class? If so, can you please provide some evidences or quotes from scholars with this opinion. JazakumAllahu khayran. :)

QTbklynmuslimah
02-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Disclaimer: I haven't taken this class.

I had read that it is ok for a man that is seriously considering a woman for marriage to ask her to remove her niqab (i.e. to look at her before the marriage). I recently heard that this applies also to regular hijab (i.e. just the headscarf). Is that true? Did you guys talk about this in class? If so, can you please provide some evidences or quotes from scholars with this opinion. JazakumAllahu khayran. :)yea, I wud lyke 2 noe da samething. so if any1 cud help out, it wud b really nice. thanx :)

Ammar AlShukry
02-24-2008, 12:23 AM
From my notes...

Looking at one's prospective bride is recommended. The evidence used was the hadith of Mughira ibn Shuhba and Jabir ibn Abdillah.

Al-Mughira ibn Shu'bah said, I asked for a woman in marriage and Allah's Messenger (peace be on him) asked me whether I had looked at her. When I replied that I had not, he said 'Then look at her, for it may produce love between you.' I went to her parents and informed them of the Prophet's advice. They seemed to disapprove of the idea. Their daughter heard the conversation from her room and said, 'If the Prophet (peace be on him) has told you to look at me, then look.' I looked at her, and subsequently I married her. (Reported by Ahmad, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, Ibn Hibban, and Darimi.)

Sunan Abu Dawood, Book 11, Number 2077:
Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah:
The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: When one of you asked a woman in marriage, if he is able to look at what will induce him to marry her, he should do so.

The time that was recommended is actually before the proposal, when there is a genuine interest to propose and its a specific person (meaning a brother can't decide he wants to get married, and so sit in the street and not lower his gaze at all the passers by)

What is allowed to be seen? The majority of scholars stated that the face and hands was enough to see what they are like.

The reason: To identify the physical and moral characteristics of the bride and groom before marriage.

W'Allahu Alam

sister phi
02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
JazakumAllahu khayran to both of you :) that was exactly what I was looking for

Nadan
03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
My friend recommended that if your husband to-be asks to see your hair, call your younger brother over and point at his hair saying "This is exactly how my hair looks like, but much longer." - job done! :D

Nadeem R
03-15-2008, 10:06 PM
My friend recommended that if your husband to-be asks to see your hair, call your younger brother over and point at his hair saying "This is exactly how my hair looks like, but much longer." - job done! :Dthats maaad funny