PDA

View Full Version : Which culture holds the best weddings! :D

Nadan
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
assalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

So the question is, which culture, country or background holds and hosts the best (ofcourse halal) weddings??! - and why!

I personally think Somali and Lebanese weddings are, hands down, by far the most entertaining and fun!

I think that weddings should consist of making the bride or groom feel very central and diverting all attention towards them - some cultures uphold these values, and others don't. I attended a waleemah the other week and was really suprised that when the bride came into the hall, no one, NO ONE even got up or welcomed her into the hall - everyone just sat there staring at her - in silence!

What sort of weddings have you gone to and thought "Now THIS is the Bomb!" ;)

zuhair.shaath
04-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I must say I've never been to a Somali or Lebanese weeding before, but you've made it seem like the cream of the crop. I have however been to a Palestinian wedding before and I can't imagine anything being more fun and joyous then the debkah (the dance men perform).

Ahmed Ibn Hassan
04-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow, Somaliís really, my culture gets out of hand at times as far as weddings go I have to say...but it's sure great someone having a wedding almost every summer!

iss ME! zahweee!
04-17-2008, 06:38 PM
i think whichever culture recognizes that weddings should be simple is the best for me :)

sh. ibnfaqih @ ilmfest: "have simple weddings, then spend some extra money on...[hesitation]..... you know.. the honeymoon! go for a few weeks! spend money on yourselves! and not on people who will never be satisfied anyway!"

i kid you not, he really said it :D

Nadan
04-17-2008, 06:51 PM
One thing to remember is that Im not talking about the quantity of a wedding but rather the quality. Weddings are meant to be fun right? :)

Another clarification - forget all the haram aspects that involve weddings nowadays, almost all cultures share them anyway. Im talking about that which is adopted by some cultures and not others, etc.

Sally Mahmoud
04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Based simply on the glitz & glamour involved, and how long the ceremonies go for.. i would say desi weddings are the best! All the beautiful clothes, and there's at least 3 days of celebrations for the wedding.. I love attending those weddings!

zuhair.shaath
04-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Based simply on the glitz & glamour involved, and how long the ceremonies go for.. i would say desi weddings are the best! All the beautiful clothes, and there's at least 3 days of celebrations for the wedding.. I love attending those weddings!I feel bad for the groom sometimes, he always ends up getting his shoes jacked from right under his feet.

Sally Mahmoud
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, to elaborate on the above post-

I know for many young women.. our wedding is something we think and dream about since the age of 12!! So it's a big deal for some of us.. especially once you start planning it.. and all the time that goes into it, and the details...etc

But.. from my experience.. and i'm not desi, and did not have a 3 day wedding (no.. no bitterness! ;)).. the wedding itself lasted about 4 hours.. 4 hours! Considering also that the bride will usually show up a little late... i had about 2.5 hours of a wedding to enjoy..

So.. just keep it all in perspective insha'Allah..

RandomDudette
04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
As-salaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

My favourite wedding ever has been a totally non-cultural one! At our old Islamic centre, we always used to have people marrying others not from their own race/ culture, and we were a super-multicultural bunch, masha'Allah!

So, when people got married it wasn't about culture at all... it was always a simple affair at the Islamic centre with my dad doing the nikaah and the khutbah (cracking jokes at the groom's expense most of the time :D), food ordered from the halaal restaurant next door, and a relatively small group of friends and family to just make it really comfortable and loving and fun!
Some people might think such weddings are boring - I used to think so, actually, because I was like "Yo, where's the dream dress and limo and the whole shebang?!" - but I recently realized the importance of quality (love and laughter and the rememberance of Allah) over quantity :)

Amatullah
04-18-2008, 01:33 AM
I love buraamburs. mashaAllah. Even though I can't understand a word of it.

QTbklynmuslimah
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Based simply on the glitz & glamour involved, and how long the ceremonies go for.. i would say desi weddings are the best! All the beautiful clothes, and there's at least 3 days of celebrations for the wedding.. I love attending those weddings!I'd have to agree w/ u on that. desi wedding seriously are the best. I jus love 'em. then again, they're the only weddings I've been to....lolz!

ufaridi
05-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I feel bad for the groom sometimes, he always ends up getting his shoes jacked from right under his feet.

Plus he has to give up alot cash (if he has any) in order to get the shoes back!

RandomDudette
05-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know what that noise is called, that the Arabs do at weddings? I love it, it's hilarious!

Sally Mahmoud
05-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know what that noise is called, that the Arabs do at weddings? I love it, it's hilarious!

yes :) singular is zaghroota, plural is zaghareet ;)

qalb-e-saleema
05-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Weddings should DEFINITELY b occassions for celebration...so weddings with lotsa laughter and fun and good 'romantic' nasheeds in the background, lotsa fresh flowers, yummy sweet stuff to eat and outdoors on a cool summer day...with a jumping castle for the kiddies sounds like an ideal wedding to me.

And yes, i agree, short, simple and sweet without going overboard and definitley save money where u can coz no matter if u have an extravagant wedding or a simple one people will always talk and never be satisfied so satisfy yourselves and satisfy Allah above all.

I know my post is kinda 'away' from the topic but insha allah maybe ther's some good in what i had to say he he!

sireen
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
yes :) singular is zaghroota, plural is zaghareet ;)
I also like listening to the "awuhaa" part...you know what I'm talking about ?? lol...

It's so funny the things they make up to rhyme during that thing...

Sally Mahmoud
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I also like listening to the "awuhaa" part...you know what I'm talking about ?? lol...

It's so funny the things they make up to rhyme during that thing...

yes! i know what you're talking about.. mostly shami weddings have that.. i love weddings!

aminah.
05-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Definitely, hands down, somali weddings.
All of my friends tell me about their experiences with somali weddings compared to their cultures and I must say, no one can party like us somalis.
How can I prove this?
Simple, how many cultures can say they have elderly women partying at their weddings, looool!
I kid you not, its shocking to see how much fun it is!
I prefer girls only ones though, people tend to go all out.
And the best part about our weddings is that NO ONE will be wearing the same thing as you.
We usually wear diraa' (somali type of clothing) and no two people have the same pattern.
Well, sometimes there may be two but it is very rare.

IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO A SOMALI WEDDING, YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO A REAL WEDDING!

Asha
05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
*[ amina.ali ♥.']

IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO A SOMALI WEDDING, YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO A REAL WEDDING!

I am not much of a wedding goer.... especially in my city!

But as i sat here and thought about this we do have the best weddings... i have been to a desi won (hands down they have all the glitz and glamour) and a middle eastern wedding. But no one can party, and make the bride feel like she is the most beautiful and special woman of the night as somali's do!

Sally Mahmoud
05-08-2008, 06:51 PM
man.. i gotta attend a somali wedding soon! Looks like i've been missin' out!!! :)

Hala
05-08-2008, 07:12 PM
^ We'll welcome you both with open arms inshaa Allah! =D I've only been to somali weddings... and one Eritrean wedding so not much to choose from for me.

Sally Mahmoud
05-16-2008, 02:27 AM
LOL!

Safa, I say we should! Let's take hala up on her offer ;)