PDA

View Full Version : "And stay in your houses..."[33:33] Any Exceptions?

Clarkie
04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu.

{And stay in your homes and do not display yourselves like the ways of the time of ignorance...} Al-Ahzaab:33

How far does this principle extend? To what extent can women be forced to remain at home, and under what circumstances is it permissible for them to be outside?

Women must stay at home except for their "needs". What qualifies as a legitimate "need"?

Please share any information that you might have on this issue.

Clarkie
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
The prophet(SAW) said that if any one of your women wishes to pray in the masjid then let her do so, but it is better for her to pray at home. (Paraphrased)
Alhamdulillah, women have at least one reason to exit their homes without being blameworthy.
Any other reasons?

StrivingMuslimah
04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
The prophet(SAW) said that if any one of your women wishes to pray in the masjid then let her do so, but it is better for her to pray at home. (Paraphrased)Thats 5 times a day right there :)

Another situation:

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Hadith # 347
Narrated Um 'Atiya (Radhiallaahu Ánha):
We were ordered (by Rasulullah '(Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) to bring out our menstruating women and veiled women in the religious gatherings and invocation of Muslims on the two 'Eid festivals. These menstruating women were to keep distant from their Musalla. A woman asked, "O Allah's Apostle ' What about one who does not have a veil?" He said, "Let her share the veil of her companion."

Durriyya
04-23-2008, 05:27 AM
Hajj and Umrah.

Here's a hadith from Bukhari:

Narrated Aiyub:

Hafsa said, 'We used to forbid our young women to go out for the two 'Id prayers. A woman came and stayed at the palace of Bani Khalaf and she narrated about her sister whose husband took part in twelve holy battles along with the Prophet and her sister was with her husband in six (out of these twelve). She (the woman's sister) said, "We used to treat the wounded, look after the patients and once I asked the Prophet, 'Is there any harm for any of us to stay at home if she doesn't have a veil?' He said, 'She should cover herself with the veil of her companion and should participate in the good deeds and in the religious gathering of the Muslims.' When Um 'Atiya came I asked her whether she had heard it from the Prophet. She replied, "Yes. May my father be sacrificed for him (the Prophet)! (Whenever she mentioned the Prophet she used to say, 'May my father be sacrificed for him) I have heard the Prophet saying, 'The unmarried young virgins and the mature girl who stay often screened or the young unmarried virgins who often stay screened and the menstruating women should come out and participate in the good deeds as well as the religious gathering of the faithful believers but the menstruating women should keep away from the Musalla (praying place).' " Hafsa asked Um 'Atiya surprisingly, "Do you say the menstruating women?" She replied, "Doesn't a menstruating woman attend 'Arafat (Hajj) and such and such (other deeds)?"

[Bukhari Vol 1, Book 6. No. 321]

Durriyya
04-23-2008, 05:35 AM
Another instance where women go out of their houses other than 'to her husband's home..and to her grave'

Narrated 'Aisha:

(the wife of the Prophet) that whenever one of her relatives died, the women assembled and then dispersed (returned to their houses) except her relatives and close friends. She would order that a pot of Talbina be cooked. Then Tharid (a dish prepared from meat and bread) would be prepared and the Talbina would be poured on it. 'Aisha would say (to the women),"Eat of it, for I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'The Talbina soothes the heart of the patient and relieves him from some of his sadness.' "

[Bukhari Vol. 7, Book 65, No. 328]

Stawf
04-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Recently, I heard a shaykh saying:
"Women should only need to exit their homes twice in their lives. The first is when she goes to her husbands home, and the second is when she goes to her grave."

He cited this ayah as his proof:

{And stay in your homes and do not display yourselves like the ways of the time of ignorance...} Al-Ahzaab:33

He also mentioned that there was no reason for women to go out of their homes under any other normal circumstances (for school, shopping, etc) as everything had become much more convenient and could be taken care of by their male family members.

I did not take his words to heart because I know of numerous examples of the Sahabiyat exiting their homes for other reasons. (If you know of any, please post them)

It did leave me wondering, however, how far does this principle extend? To what extent can women be forced to remain at home, and under what circumstances is it permissible for them to be outside?

Women must stay at home except for their "needs". What qualifies as a legitimate "need"?

Please share any information that you might have on this issue.
Bismillah,
Assalamualikum warahmatul Allah.

I am giving my opinion why we should stay home------We did not have such debate in our early history of Islam---.

Personally I feel in contemporary world, most of the cases, Muslim women are forced to work outside for money, careers, and statues. We are living under capitalist system which encourages us to work for the sake of capitalists' prosperities, not for Islamic way of living. Our perception of living in "well" is changed over time. We know knowledge is obligatory, but most of the cases we forget which knowledge is obligatory. Yes, we need both Islamic and secular knowledge in order to take our Islamic responsibility more seriously. But, most of the cases, Muslims prefer secular knowledge over Islamic knowledge, and therefore, young Muslim women are choosing careers over Islam. As a result, thinking for staying home is kind of scary for our young Muslim women.

I am not agreeing with him 100%, but I believe that our sisters should acknowledge that our homes must be our first priority. Our children must be our first careers. Our houses must be nurtured with Islamic ethics, and rules. And our husbands are our leading actors(Sisters must choose husband wisely!).

When Abu Darda was dying, his wife Umm Dard'a As-Sughraaar wanted to know were she allowed to take welfare from the state after his death. Abu Darda recommended her to work for her living because the holy Prophet says, “The most blessed earning is what a person gains from his own labour.” (From Torch Bearers).

As we see blessing income comes from own labours. We also know Muslim men have no choice but to earn halal money for their families, whereas Muslim women are highly encouraged to raise their children in Islam, they are not responsible for any financial deeds unless they are in need. The bottom line is when we are in need (like Umm Darda); we are encouraged to work for our living. In today's society, we can do it from home too!!

Yes, before going outside, I think we should ask "Do I have to go out or my male relative can do it for me (it could be shopping, grocery and so on)?" I believe outside world is for men. Our main responsibility is to make our every single house as an Islamic state. If every Muslim house becomes an Islamic state, then the world will change dramatically.

Creating your home as an Islamic state is not an easy job, trust me. You have to go against the main stream dominate culture (that is a continuous hard work--). In some cases your family members will go against you. In some cases you have to invest lots of your emotional energies to prevent negative influences from your close relatives. Your own people will put you down. Your friends will go away. Your neighours will look at you with suspicious eyes. You have to work every single moment to establish Islam in your house.

Your children will need you 24/7. Because for them you are the teacher, you are the mother, you are the friend and you are the preacher. You have to take them to Islamic seminars, halakas, Quran classes and so on —so, basically, you are going out when you are in need, but when you have somebody to help you (male relatives), trust me you will appreciate it. After doing all of your Islamic responsibilities how would you find time to go out? And have a career??? A mother's responsibilities never end---- then why would you take double burdens (outside and inside) on your shoulders?
Basically, Muslim women are the backbones of an Islamic state. If every single Muslim woman takes her Islamic role seriously, I mean seriously-- then history will repeat again inshaAllah. We will able to have our Golden Islamic days, inshaAllah.

We should ask ourselves is Islam established in our houses. If not then that is the main reason we should stay home, and work for that, Insha Allah. Allah knows the best.

Clarkie
04-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Waalaykumassalam

Jazakallahkahir for the insightful response.

Could you please elaborate on a couple of points?

When Abu Darda was dying, his wife Umm Dard'a As-Sughraaar wanted to know were she allowed to take welfare from the state after his death. Abu Darda recommended her to work for her living because the holy Prophet says, “The most blessed earning is what a person gains from his own labour.” (From Torch Bearers).
Because she could have taken money from welfare, wasn't it unnecessary for UmmDarda' to exit her home?

You have to take them to Islamic seminars, halakas, Quran classes and so on —so, basically, you are going out when you are in need, but when you have somebody to help you (male relatives), trust me you will appreciate it.
Does this qualify as a "need"? If no men are available to take the children, couldn't the children learn from books or from internet resources that their mother finds for them?

Clarkie
04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
, '...The unmarried young virgins and the mature girl who stay often screened or the young unmarried virgins who often stay screened and the menstruating women should come out and participate in the good deeds as well as the religious gathering of the faithful believers but the menstruating women should keep away from the Musalla (praying place)...' [Bukhari Vol 1, Book 6. No. 321]
Is this refering to anything other than prayer in jama'ah? If so, please give evidence.

AKA
04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
wasnt that verse revealed down for the Prophet's wives?

Aalia
04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
wasnt that verse revealed down for the Prophet's wives?
It depends on which scholar you ask.

All scholars agree, however, that the home is the best place for women (and use this ayah as evidence)

Stawf
04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Clarkie] Waalaykumassalam

Jazakallahkahir for the insightful response.

Could you please elaborate on a couple of points?

Because she could have taken money from welfare, wasn't it unnecessary for UmmDarda' to exit her home?

Not really, she did survive by putting her faith on her Lord. Indeed, Allah (swt) is enough for those who believe in HIM. Umm Darda became a prominent Islamic scholar after her husband died. She taught lots of men and women scholars in Islam. Dunya came to her; she did not need to go out for that.

Does this qualify as a "need"? If no men are available to take the children, couldn't the children learn from books or from internet resources that their mother finds for them?

Islam is based on logics. Islamically, when we are in need, we are allowed to go out. But we have to understand what the meaning of "need" in Islam is. When I came this country, I found most of my Muslim sisters took the responsibilities for doing groceries, paying bills and earning money and so on. Because they strongly start to believe that the Western society is designed in such a way that dual income is a NEED to survive.

For me, Western society is designed in such a way that forces us to do the modern slavery. I believe working for money for the sake of money is doing slavery of capitalism. So, I deny fulfilling such "Need" rather I reclaim my rights in Islam. Reclaiming Islamic right by living in the Western society is another kind of struggle.

As I say Islam is based on logics. Learning from Islamic scholars is more effective than internet resources. Therefore, if there are no men available to take children to those Islamic scholars, then the "Mother" is the one should fulfill such responsibility as an Islamic "NEED."

QUOTE]

Clarkie
04-23-2008, 12:45 PM
UmmDarda' worked from home! When I saw your first post I assumed you had told us about that incident in prove that it was okay for women to work outside. Jazakallahkhaeir for clarifying

Does this qualify as a "need"? As I say Islam is based on logics. Learning from Islamic scholars is more effective than internet resources. Therefore, if there are no men available to take children to those Islamic scholars, then the "Mother" is the one should fulfill such responsibility as an Islamic "NEED."
Could you please provide evidence that teaching children in an efficient manner is a reason for women to leave their homes, knowing that there are other (less efficient) methods of obtaining knowledge?

Lola
04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
As I say Islam is based on logics. Learning from Islamic scholars is more effective than internet resources. Therefore, if there are no men available to take children to those Islamic scholars, then the "Mother" is the one should fulfill such responsibility as an Islamic "NEED."
Logic is only used as evidence as a last resort, by qualified individuals.

Could you please provide evidence that teaching children in an efficient manner is a reason for women to leave their homes, knowing that there are other (less efficient) methods of obtaining knowledge?Several great scholars, such as Imam Bukhari and Imam Shaf'ee were taken to the masajid by their mothers because their fathers were not available.
This may not count as proof of permissibilty though.

Stawf
04-23-2008, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=Lola]Logic is only used as evidence as a last resort, by qualified individuals.

I believe every single Islamic ruling comes with logic; for me Islamic rules make perfect sense. That is why I say Islam is based on logic.

Several great scholars, such as Imam Bukhari and Imam Shaf'ee were taken to the masajid by their mothers because their fathers were not available.

JazakalAllah kheir for your input. Most of the scholars agree upon it. If those mothers did not take their children to Islamic scholars then we would not have Imam Bukhari or Imam Shaf'ee./QUOTE]

Clarkie
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Several great scholars, such as Imam Bukhari and Imam Shaf'ee were taken to the masajid by their mothers because their fathers were not available.
Salamualaikum.

Mashallah, excellent point. You're right, that can't be used as evidence in itslef, but because so many women have done this and no one has objected to it, we could say that there is a silent ijma' on this issue.

However, it only pertains to children who have no male relative to care for them. What about those women who do have men to help? Do you they still have the right to take their children to Sunday school, halaqas, etc, if men are available to do this?

layman
04-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Asalam alaikum,

This may not count as proof of permissibilty though.Dont forget Imam Malik, and Imam Ahmad. His mother raised him on her own, masha'Allah. I dont think any shaykh would dare say that these great mothers were wrong.

You can find alot of daleel for allowing women to leave, but I remember hearing a interesting statement of Aisha (RA) that says "if the Prophet (SAW) was alive to see how the women acted today, he would permot them to leave their houses for the masjids." (Again paraphrased, and I dont remember the source.)

Subhan Allah, I just remember a great hadith! Again I dont know the source, but no doubt you can find it insha'Allah. The sahabiat (female sahaba) complained to the prophet (SAW) that the men have all the access to Rasoolulah(SAW) and never leave him (SAW). So the prohet (SAW) promised to reserve one whole day for them women.

As you can see I know hadith, but no chain or source. That's why its good for all of us that I live now and not 100 AH, walhamdu lilah.

AbdulHasib
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
I love islamtoday. may Allah reward the shaykh.

VERY timely in response

and may Allah bless those whom turned to the scholars in seeking an answer.

As Allah ta'la says
"Ask the people of the Remembrance (knowledge) if you do not Know.."

BarakumAllahufeek.

Clarkie
04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Please note that I have changed the content of my first post to shift the focus back to my original question: When is it permissible for women to leave their homes under ordinary (non-emergency) circumstances?

Alhamdulillah, we have six reasons for women to exit their homes (with daleel available) so far

1) Regular prayers at the masjid
2) Jumu'ah and Eid prayers
3) Hajj and 'Umrah
4) Anywhere the husband orders his wife to go
5) Taking the children out for educational purposes (Islamic education only) if no men are available
6) Earning a living if no men are available

Anything else?

Clarkie
04-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Women have minds too, and have contributed to society and our body of knowledge in so many fields that required them to go and study, conduct experiements, speak with experts, etc. I think we need to acknowledge this, because it is the reality.
I definately agree with this, which is why I am asking these questions in the first place.

Is it okay for me to learn engineering? Some say no. But they say it is okay for me to do business with an engineer, to build my home for example. How does that make sense?

My point is not to restrict women, but to show them what is permissible for them to do, and to give them evidence. If you have any evidence on what you mentioned above, please share it.

Clarkie
04-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I assume most women who come on these forums are educated. I also assume that most learned in a co-ed environment.

Did anyone check to make sure beforehand that what they were doing was halal?

If so, please share the daleel you obtained on this issue.

Clarkie
04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Jazakallahkhair for that article. I wish the shuyookh had given the reason for why women were allowed to override the ruling in [33:33] though.

Some people claim that going out of the home is halal as long as there is no mixing. However, in this (http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthread.php?t=20362) thread, some brothers were claiming that women should not even go out for da'wah (which is DEFINATELY a "need").

How can we reconcile these two views?

Clarkie
04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Jazakallakhair brother for the informative fatwa, but I am a little confused. What does the above post have to do with the original question?

~Oum AbdurRahman~
04-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Islam came to us in stages.
When one accepts islam as their religion, it is profoundly difficult for one to to fulfill every sunnah and commandment all at once so quickly. It's overwhelming for new muslims to be able to pray all their sunnahs, to put on the niqaab and plain abaya right away after shahaada. It's not easy to marry and then be told, "You must stay in your home and never leave accept under this and that condition." As a muslim sister who is raised in such a liberal and free environment, to go from one way of life to another so fast is something very difficult. Even now, (I speak for myself) after having been muslim for 8 years, I find myself sometimes longing, just to go and travel somewhere, go and see the world, go to a beach, go anywhere but in my home which is seemingly like a prison for me. I think I would honestly die from depression if I stayed in my home and never ever left, not even once a month, honestly.

When one goes to extremes in the religion the religion will overcome that person. I understand that others perhaps who are reading this will argue, "Well wearing niqaab and praying all the sunnan and not leaving the home are not extreme actions in Islam," n3am they are not. However diving into everything all at once can sometimes overwhelm a new muslim straight away. And in da'wah, that's is not what the goal is. Deena usraa. Allah made our religion easy. Okay so I can't give up watching T.V sometimes. Okay so I can't protect my child from his relatives and how they are totally into cartoons, mobiles, and dubkah, if I were to isolate myself from his family, shaytaan will only come and whisper to me, "You are better then they are, because you stay away from what they indulge in (*Music, T.V, ect). And that is doom, for a Muslim to allow even a mithqal of pride to enter his/or her heart.

So we should be just in everything, try to avoid the bad influences, but not cut ourselves completely off from the main body of the Muslims, even if they are sinful, because the shaytaan attacks the lone muslim like a wolf who attacks an astrayed sheep. Yes, in all honesty? I wish I could go to that valley in order to escape the fitnah here, but that is out of my ability to go and live in a bait sha3r, with some sheep, where the water is difficult to come by. **My opinion that I express here is from advice that I have gotten from known shyookh, such as Sheikh Waleed Basyouni, and this is not from my own mind. Wa Allahu 3alem.