~Oum AbdurRahman~
05-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Fatherless homes account for 63% of youth suicides,
90% of homeless/runaway children,
85% of children with behavior problems,
71% of high school dropouts,
85% of youths in prison,
well over 50% of teen mothers.

As of 2003, 43.7% of custodial mothers and 56.2% of custodial fathers were either separated or divorced.

And in 2002, 7.8 million Americans paid about $40 billion in child and/or spousal support (84% of the payers were male).

Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, National Center for Health Statistics, Americans for Divorce Reform, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Institute for Equality in Marriage, American Association for Single People, Ameristat, Public Agenda)
U.S. Census Bureau, National Center for Health Statistics, Americans for Divorce Reform,

Sarah Mushtaq
05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
SubhanAllah, those statistics should be a huge eye opener for everyone, esp this society.

My Dad works in research, Alhamdulillah, and he was just telling us the other day about inner city schools, and how ~50% of the kids are dropping out of high schools, and most of them end up in jails. This probably has a lot to do with it.

You mess up the family, it messes up the kids, which messes up the society.
No wonder family life is so emphasized in Islam, Alhamdulillah.

(ps, I'm not against divorce, this isn't an anti-divorce post, Alhamdulillah for divorce, and in some cases, we def'n need it)

Omar Khan
05-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Assalaamu'Alykum,
Those statistics are really scary. How recent are they?
Also, the stat on custodial mothers and father is from 2003, I'm sure its risen much higher now...it makes you think.
In general, strong families produce strong kids which produce strong communities.
Wa Alykum Assalaam