PDA

View Full Version : Spouses From You But Not From You?

Rabiah - la Voyageure ©
06-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Bismillaah

And among His Signs is this, that He created for you wives from among yourselves, that you may find repose in them, and He has put between you affection and mercy. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who reflect. [Surah Rum:21]

Last year, Yasir Qadhi did a lecture called Finding Mr. or Mrs. Right..
I was going over the notes and found this point that I wrote down, and I can't seem to get my hands on it fully, "They are from you but not from you, they are for you but not for you", respective of the relation of spouses in Islam.

If someone can expound on this, it'll be really helpful.

JazakumAllaahu khayr

Sally Mahmoud
06-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Bismillaah

And among His Signs is this, that He created for you wives from among yourselves, that you may find repose in them, and He has put between you affection and mercy. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who reflect. [Surah Rum:21]

Last year, Yasir Qadhi did a lecture called Finding Mr. or Mrs. Right..
I was going over the notes and found this point that I wrote down, and I can't seem to get my hands on it fully, "They are from you but not from you, they are for you but not for you", respective of the relation of spouses in Islam.

If someone can expound on this, it'll be really helpful.

JazakumAllaahu khayr

hmmm.. interesting..

only thing i can draw from that quote is to remember the importance of each partner's individuality.. like respecting their opinions, tastes, and knowing that you're together for the sake of Allah..?

Etqaaniyah
07-20-2008, 12:14 PM
"from among yourselves" i think means the fact that we're worshippers of Allah subhana watalla and the fact that we're one in the same type of Allah's creation.

So when the shaikh says, "they are from you but not from you" I draw that he is referring to how Hawa was created from Adam's rib and so using that point to draw a symbolic relation that we as females are from men. At the same time when the shaikh says, "but not from you" I think means that Allah created us individually and that our creation is unique to us.

And when he says, “And they are for you but not for you” means that Allah subhana wa’talla created spouses for us so that we may find repose in one another, to share life in worshipping Allah subhana watalla. However, “but not for you” means not to trespass Allah subhana wa’talla in all actions of obligations because in the end it is to Allah we come and it is to Him we return.

I was not there for that lecture so I hope i understood the quote in its context.

Allah knows best.

Imtiaz
07-21-2008, 11:10 AM
is this lecture online somewhere or in transcript ?

Rabiah - la Voyageure ©
07-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I didn't write word to word, but inshaAllaah, I'll be posting the notes I have very soon.

Rabiah - la Voyageure ©
07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
"from among yourselves" i think means the fact that we're worshippers of Allah subhana watalla and the fact that we're one in the same type of Allah's creation.

So when the shaikh says, "they are from you but not from you" I draw that he is referring to how Hawa was created from Adam's rib and so using that point to draw a symbolic relation that we as females are from men. At the same time when the shaikh says, "but not from you" I think means that Allah created us individually and that our creation is unique to us.

And when he says, “And they are for you but not for you” means that Allah subhana wa’talla created spouses for us so that we may find repose in one another, to share life in worshipping Allah subhana watalla. However, “but not for you” means not to trespass Allah subhana wa’talla in all actions of obligations because in the end it is to Allah we come and it is to Him we return.

I was not there for that lecture so I hope i understood the quote in its context.

Allah knows best. jazakillaahu khayr sis. The above seemed to be the best explanation. And Allaah Knows Best.

I was looking through ibn Kathir as well for the aforementioned ayah. It said:

(It is He Who has created you from a single person, and He has created from him his wife, in order that he might enjoy the pleasure of living with her) (7:189). This refers to Hawwa'. Allah created her from Adam, from the short rib on his left. If Allah had made all of Adam's progeny male, and created the females from another kind, such as from Jinn or animals, there would never have been harmony between them and their spouses. There would have been revulsion if the spouses had been from a different kind.

Out of Allah's perfect mercy He made their wives from their own kind, and created love and kindness between them. For a man stays with a woman because he loves her, or because he feels compassion towards her if they have a child together, or because she needs him to take care of her, etc.

Rabiah - la Voyageure ©
08-20-2008, 11:16 PM
I didn't write word to word, but inshaAllaah, I'll be posting the notes I have very soon.
This 'very soon' has been extending. Please forgive me if you have been waiting. it's just a matter of typing up the notes and cleaning them...