PDA

View Full Version : Interracial Marriages

Abu_Maryam
10-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Salaam Alaikum,

I'm curious to find out how many people here are either products of an interracial marriage or are in one themselves. After you anwser the polls feel free to post what the mixes are.

I myself am half palestininan half dutch and married to a bengali :)

Aroob525
10-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

The beauty of interracial marriages is that they show the diversity of Islam. I myself am a Pakistani married to a Palestinian. Though my husband's side has a few mixed marriages for my family this is the first. After having our baby we've been blessed with the ability to speak to her in Arabic, Urdu and English. It'll be interesting to see how she is when she grows up and whom she marries.

Ahmed Ibn Hassan
10-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Reported by Ibn Hajar AI-Haithami.

Great narration. (There’s no point in rebutting it).

It’s not to say that I don’t understand or I haven’t read this narration before, but what I said so plainly was
If a person wants to get married to a muslim and their is nothing wrong with their character/adaab and they are pious then how is it fair (as a parent) to say NO...
It’s easy to take that out of context and misread it, however if a person is truly well mannered, has his priorities set on the hereafter (remember he wont be able to truly accomplish all this with out ‘honoring his parents, loving them, respecting them’) then it would clearly be wary on the parents disapproval.

But no doubt you’re absolutely right (jazakallah kahir) for bringing that up, indeed parents are fundamental solution for a successful marriage.

Wallahu Alam.

bint_habibullah
10-05-2008, 11:43 PM
MashaAllah. I think interracial marriages are beautiful and so are the mixes of the children. SubhanAllah.

We're "pure-breds" if you will, but my cousin (Afghan) married an Indian brother. Her aunty is married to a Palestinian man.

I think that's so cool, mashaAllah. Though, interracial marriages are not as common as marrying within own race. That could change though once we all turn grandpas and grandmas. :D (InshaAllah) A lot of us come from first generation Americans where the parents are immigrants. Some parents do not let sons and daughters marry outside the race/culture. Therefore, kids are led in the direction to marry within race. However, I think a lot of Muslims who are born and raised in the West would allow their own children to marry outside as long as the person is religiously committed and has good manners. Allahu 'alam.

bint_habibullah

heavens_scent
10-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Asalaam Alaykum.

The whole parent thing, when a person wants to marry someone that is culturally different from themselves... (or rather from their upbringing). Their parents have many justifications trying and hindering them and not want them to get married. That’s very “ignorant”, (I can go on forever).

If a person wants to get married to a muslim and their is nothing wrong with their character/adaab and they are pious then WHO ARE YOU (as a parent) to say NO...

Parents counter attack: “parents most of the times believe they are right”

Ahmed
In my opinion, I believe that you made a very strong statement in regards to the parents and I can go on 'forever' in rebuttle, however, I am not having an urge for an argument at the moment.

I have interracial marriages within my family and I've witnessed some pros and cons to it. I am actually writing a research paper on interracial marriages right now and this thread would be of help.

It would be interesting to know the pros and cons people have experienced as a result of interracial marriages.

Samira
10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Asalaam Alaykum.

Just want to start off by saying “I’m not products of an interracial marriage or are in one themselves”. Just a carious muslim who likes to voice his opinion.

Secondly, what I do want to say is I can understand from a cultural background that a person looking at a prospective wife/husband might not want someone who is so culturally different from themselves...This is just a preference for themselves.

The whole parent thing, when a person wants to marry someone that is culturally different from themselves... (or rather from their upbringing). Their parents have many justifications trying and hindering them and not want them to get married. That’s very “ignorant”, (I can go on forever).

If a person wants to get married to a muslim and their is nothing wrong with their character/adaab and they are pious then WHO ARE YOU (as a parent) to say NO...

I think it's good to have mixed marriages and mixed cultures etc...Because it brings the Muslim Ummah closer together. I think it's the state of the ummah today that makes ''practicing parents'' (not just cultural ones) be more cautious....because in the original state of Islam we should all trust one another and be united etc.

InshAllah allah grant those that strive for his path , with wonderful god-fearing spouses.ameen.

Ahmed
As salaam aleykum,

Brother ibn masud, read the following story regarding parents.....:

In the Prophet's lifetime, there was a young man called Alqamah. He was so devout that he exerted great efforts in performing many prayers, fasting and spending money in charity. He had a fatal disease that his wife informed the Prophet (pbuh) that her husband was dying. Thereby, the Prophet (pbuh) sent `Ammar, Suhaib and Bilal to instruct the dying to say the testification of Faith. When they arrived there, they found him dying. Therefore, they began to instruct him to say there is no god but Allah, but he could not repeat it. They returned to the Prophet (pbuh) to consult him. Then, the Prophet (pbuh) said, "Did he have living parents?" They said, "He had an aged mother." Accord­ingly, the Prophet asked them to bring her if she was able to walk. Otherwise he himself will go there. When being informed by the Prophet's message, the mother said, "I sacrifice him with my soul. I will go to him." She then went to him leaning on a staff. After greet­ing, the Prophet (pbuh) said; "O mother of Alqamah, tell me the truth and if you lie Allah will reveal me the truth. How was Alqamah?" She said, "He performed much prayers, fasting and spending money in

charity." Then, the Prophet (pbuh) asked, "What about you?" She said, "O Messenger of Allah! I am angry with him." The Prophet asked, "Why?" She said, "Because he prefers his wife to me and also dis­obeys me." Then, the Prophet (pbuh) said, "The anger of Alqamah's other holds Alqamah's tongue to utter the testification of Faith."

Afterwards, the Prophet said, O Bilal, go and gather a pile of wood." The woman said, "Why, Messenger of Allah?" The Prophet said, “To bum him before your eyes." She said, "O Messenger of Allah, he is my son! I cannot endure that he be burnt before my eyes." Then, the Prophet said, "But Allah's torture is more severe and lasting, mother of `Alqamah. So if you like him to be forgiven by Allah, you forgive him. By Whom in Whose hands my soul is, what he performed of prayers, fasting and charity is of no avail so long as you are angry with him."

Then, she said, "O Messenger of Allah, may Allah the Almighty, his angels and all Muslims who are present witness that I forgive my son, Alqamah." Thereupon, the Prophet said, "Go to him, Bilal to see whether he can utter the testification of Faith or not? She might forgive him out of shyness." Approaching Alqamah's house, Bilal heard him saying, "There is no god but Allah" Then, the Prophet (pbuh) ordered them to prepare the funeral, washing and shroud. Then, he prayed over him and witnessed the funeral. Then, the Prophet stood in front of the deceased grave and said, "O Muhajirin (Emigrants) O Ansar (Helpers), he who prefers his wife to his mother entails the curse of Allah, His angels and the whole people. Allah never accepts his deeds or a reason unless he makes repentance, treats his mother well and asks her consent. This is because Allah's consent is conditioned on the mother's and His wrath is hers.

Ahmed Ibn Hassan
10-06-2008, 06:42 PM

Great narration. (There’s no point in rebutting it).

It’s not to say that I don’t understand or I haven’t read this narration before, but what I said so plainly was
If a person wants to get married to a muslim and their is nothing wrong with their character/adaab and they are pious then how is it fair (as a parent) to say NO...
It’s easy to take that out of context and misread it, however if a person is truly well mannered, has his priorities set on the hereafter (remember he wont be able to truly accomplish all this with out ‘honoring his parents, loving them, respecting them’) then it would clearly be wary on the parents disapproval.

But no doubt you’re absolutely right (jazakallah kahir) for bringing that up, indeed parents are fundamental solution for a successful marriage.

Wallahu Alam.

Ahmed Ibn Hassan
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
As I was editing and quoting my initial post I accidentally deleted it. So inshaAllah here it is.

Originally Posted by Ibn Masud
Asalaam Alaykum.

Just want to start off by saying “I’m not products of an interracial marriage or are in one themselves”. Just a carious muslim who likes to voice his opinion.

Secondly, what I do want to say is I can understand from a cultural background that a person looking at a prospective wife/husband might not want someone who is so culturally different from themselves...This is just a preference for themselves.

I think it's good to have mixed marriages and mixed cultures etc...Because it brings the Muslim Ummah closer together. I think it's the state of the ummah today that makes ''practicing parents'' (not just cultural ones) be more cautious....because in the original state of Islam we should all trust one another and be united etc.

InshAllah allah grant those that strive for his path , with wonderful god-fearing spouses.ameen.

Ahmed

Saba Hashmat
10-07-2008, 12:36 PM
This is exactly how I see it. I simply have parents who prefer to have a certain type of person, and I don't put up a fight for it simply because it is in their control, and even though that narrows it down a LOT (to try and find a good practicing muslim in your race, color, ethnicity,etc), I still have to respect them with their decision and preference. This does not necessarily mean that it is my preference, because I know any good muslim would like for themselves another good muslim regardless of color or ethnicity, but other factors are involved as well. It would be harder if I actually already wanted to marry someone from a different race or ethnicity, but how i see it, parents are a fundamental solution for a successful marriage. If I went against their will, then that means that they would be angry or not talking to me for the rest of my life (I've seen it happen already in other families), and I don't want that. So I personally would rather to just go along with them, HOWEVER, with my kids, or I know that my sister says this if she ever had kids insha'Allah, that we would want just a pious muslim for them, regardless of any color or ethnicity. But sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do from the start, and their happiness becomes your happiness, and it's not like I'm mad at them for thinking that way, it's just the culture..and so you have to deal with some stuff. Sometimes the effects of some decisions are more bad then others, therefore some people have to weigh out their positives and negatives and go with that. Therefore, I don't think there's a need for a person of another race or ethnicity to get offended that my parents don't prefer their race, because that's just how they view it, and khalas, even though I might see that their thinking is dated from wayy back (culturally sometimes), they know what's best for you,a nd what will help their relationship with thier future son or daughter in laws. Hope I made sense.

Also, when dealing with parents with this issue or even when someone feels that they can't marry outside their race because of parents, always remember that it's Allah's decree, whatever is meant to be is meant to be, some things are a real big test, and a lot of patience is required with this matter. And in the end, you'll be saying Alhamdulillah before you know it insha'Allah.Siratul mustakeem you nailed it. just wanted to add that its harder for women in the culture to marry outside the race simply because daughters are protected more ...when parents give their daughters hand in marriage know that they are giving the "control" in her life to someone else and of course they have every right to put certain restrictions on it. I remember Shaykh Yasir Qadhi saying that once you all have daughters you will put conditions on her future husband that will probably be more rigid than what your parents put on you.

The point about Allah SWT's decree is one to always keep in mind because know that Allah SWt is in control. Alhamdullilah!

May Allah SWt give all of those who are looking, spouses for whom they are grateful and preserve & add more love to the marriages of those who are married.

Kimo114
10-16-2008, 08:19 PM
السلام عليكم

Cool survey. I happen to be of Arab origin and my wife is from Mauritius (five bucks if you know where that is!)

SubhaanAllah
10-17-2008, 01:11 PM
السلام عليكم

Cool survey. I happen to be of Arab origin and my wife is from Mauritius (five bucks if you know where that is!)

awesome!!! one of my really good friends is from mauritius! shes half arab too though!

Mariam 3:36
11-03-2008, 08:41 AM
awesome!!! one of my really good friends is from mauritius! shes half arab too though!
I also know a sister (2 sisters) with one parent who is from Mauritius, and another parent from Lebanon--a very nice family mashaAllah.

I am from a mix like many of the other brothers and sister who posted here, but I've come to the conclusion that on some level we are all mixes--if you trace your family history far enough--and on some level we are all "pure breds"--we all come from the same parents (Adam 'alayhis-salaam and Hawaa radiyaAllahu 'anha). The evidence for that is all in a single ayah:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ وَأُنثَى وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوباً وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ

O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allah is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqun (pious - see V.2:2). Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware

Suratul Hujuraat (Surah 49), ayah 13

SubhanAllah, the magnificence of the divine plan of our Creator! In some respects I feel it affirms our equality, even as mixes or "pure breeds"--so that a mix is no better than a "pure breed" and vice versa--and then distinguishes us based on taqwa alone. waAllahu a'alem.

Bright Star
11-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I think interracial marriages are amazing. My parents are both Paki and everyone in my family married Pakis, except one of my uncles who married a Tunisian woman. I have some relatives who even want their children to marry in the same 'caste'.
I would actually rather marry someone out of the race, just to get involved in a different culture and teach others, esp the hard-headed people in my family who think pakis should only marry pakis with the same caste, that Islam is about multiculturalism, and shatters the standards of caste, status, and race. Just take a look at the Prophet's (SAW) life.

Naima Abdulkadir
11-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I would actually rather marry someone out of the race, just to get involved in a different culture and teach others, esp the hard-headed people in my family who think pakis should only marry pakis with the same caste, that Islam is about multiculturalism, and shatters the standards of caste, status, and race. Just take a look at the Prophet's (SAW) life.

I agree with you. I would actually prefer to marry out of my race, because you get to learn so much when you marry someone that's not from your country. Learning different cultures, food, people and language. You also become more open with the idea of 2 different races or 2 people from different countries marrying. I've noticed majority of those that are against interracial marriage are those that marry their own race .

The good things that interracial marriage brings outweighs the negativity that it brings. I am sure many of you might disagree with me. And I bet you those that disagree with me don't come from mixed marriages :).

iss ME! zahweee!
11-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Allah knows best about what's better/easier/more successful..
all i'm gonna say is the mixed kids tend to be cuter.. lol :p

Naima Abdulkadir
11-08-2008, 05:01 PM
all i'm gonna say is the mixed kids tend to be cuter.. lol :p

Mixed kids do look beautiful mashaAllah.

Naima Abdulkadir
11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I also love interracial marriages! My father is from Somalia and my mom is from Portugal.

MashaAllah that's sooo cool. I know Somalis marry other races but I never met anyone that is married to portuguese.. MashaAllah, so do you speak both languages? It's really cool masha'Allah.

zeinab a
11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
No, I don't speak either. :( But I know a little Somali and a few words in Portuguese. The problem is, the only language that both my parents know is English, so that's what was spoken at home.

Naima Abdulkadir
11-08-2008, 05:30 PM
No, I don't speak either. :( But I know a little Somali and a few words in Portuguese. The problem is, the only language that both my parents know is English, so that's what was spoken at home.

Wow amazing. Actually to think about it the Somali Barawe (qabeel in Somalia) did actually originate from Portugal. That's why in that part of Somalia you'll see somalis that have very fair skin and bright eyes mashaAllah it's amazing, But they don't speak different language, Only Somali and Barawe.

I love how my country is so diverse mashaAllah. Somalis are mixed with Portugese,Italian and Arab (Saudis/Yemenese) Very cool indeed :)

Munawwara
11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
My husband is English though he calls me a coconut [as a joke!] whereas I would say I am a British Muslim like the majority of the 2nd/3rd generation Muslims in this country as we have adopted the culture/language/food etc of this country, which is what naturally happens, and history has proven that both in the Muslim and non-Muslim world. I remember reading something said by one of the scholars on the al-maghrib forums that the same is with the youth in America who are now forming their own American Muslim identity [and that there is nothing wrong with that].

For this main reason, marrying interracially should 'ideally' become easier as the future generation Muslims should hopefully insha'Allah adopt the culture of the country they live in [within the flexible and wise boundries of Islam], hence they will all see themselves as either Americans, or British, or Chinese, or French etc etc etc [rather than identifying themselves with the countries their grandparents or great grand parents were originally born in]. Maybe by then the schizophrenic identity clash that is happening with the youth will be gone and they can start to practise Islam without the meddling of harmful culture and traditions that they are unaware of and have never been exposed to .

[i][ps/ I have absolutely no probs with culture and traditions, its one of the beauties of this world - the different food, style, language, traditions etc - imagine if we were all the same! Even in the Qur'an we are told we are made different so we can come to know one another. I just feel that many people see being an 'American' or 'Brit' as demonic when there are people in the "Muslim World" who are doing things like usury, cheating in trade, slander etc and think that because they do not have any 'Western' values/influences in their lives, that they are somehow better. Sadly, there are Muslims in the Western world who are exactly the same].

Monazza
11-10-2008, 01:34 AM
I am 100% Indian (to my knowledge) and my husband is 100% African-American (to his knowledge)

eternalmuslimah
11-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I am 100% Indian (to my knowledge) and my husband is 100% African-American (to his knowledge)HAHAHA :D

Alhamdulillah!

My dad is Indian and my mom is Pakistani...

umm... and so that makes me half-indian half-pakistani... but we were originally Bihaari (the indians would know) and now i married a Pakistani Punjaabi! ... not really out of race, but we're learning new things, for sure!... it's a pretty different culture.

**Jannah**
11-15-2008, 04:46 PM
This is exactly how I see it. I simply have parents who prefer to have a certain type of person, and I don't put up a fight for it simply because it is in their control, and even though that narrows it down a LOT (to try and find a good practicing muslim in your race, color, ethnicity,etc), I still have to respect them with their decision and preference. This does not necessarily mean that it is my preference, because I know any good muslim would like for themselves another good muslim regardless of color or ethnicity, but other factors are involved as well. It would be harder if I actually already wanted to marry someone from a different race or ethnicity, but how i see it, parents are a fundamental solution for a successful marriage. If I went against their will, then that means that they would be angry or not talking to me for the rest of my life (I've seen it happen already in other families), and I don't want that. So I personally would rather to just go along with them, HOWEVER, with my kids, or I know that my sister says this if she ever had kids insha'Allah, that we would want just a pious muslim for them, regardless of any color or ethnicity. But sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do from the start, and their happiness becomes your happiness, and it's not like I'm mad at them for thinking that way, it's just the culture..and so you have to deal with some stuff. Sometimes the effects of some decisions are more bad then others, therefore some people have to weigh out their positives and negatives and go with that. Therefore, I don't think there's a need for a person of another race or ethnicity to get offended that my parents don't prefer their race, because that's just how they view it, and khalas, even though I might see that their thinking is dated from wayy back (culturally sometimes), they know what's best for you,a nd what will help their relationship with thier future son or daughter in laws. Hope I made sense.

Also, when dealing with parents with this issue or even when someone feels that they can't marry outside their race because of parents, always remember that it's Allah's decree, whatever is meant to be is meant to be, some things are a real big test, and a lot of patience is required with this matter. And in the end, you'll be saying Alhamdulillah before you know it insha'Allah.

you said it all for me:) jzk for taking ur time to write all that down! at the end ur parents know whats best for u and so those Allah!

Dawud Israel
11-16-2008, 11:49 AM
How do you mixed sisters and brothers deal with identity issues?

I've known some mixed people and they have had some really serious issues as to their identity, not knowing who or what they are because of the cultural eclectic and then just had to get psychological help.

Isn't it difficult being the line that cuts two cultures/ethnicities?

Asha
11-19-2008, 06:12 PM

I've known some mixed people and they have had some really serious issues as to their identity, not knowing who or what they are because of the cultural eclectic and then just had to get psychological help.

Very good question! I know some non muslims who take this as a big identity crisis and usually hold on to their minority race like black for example! But since we are Muslims, i hope it makes things easier and that you focus more on Islam then anything else the way we should be.

Mehreen Khan
11-20-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm Bengali and my husband is Egyptian-Irish, pretty nice mashaAllah :)

Ameena*
11-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Assalamu 'alaikum, I'm Somali, I'm not open to the idea of interracial marriage, because I prefer keeping it within my own culture. To my knowledge I have no other blood in me, but I don't mind whether other people decide to marry out of their race, after all it's their life and their business.

Mariam 3:36
11-29-2008, 02:35 AM

There are benefits to be gained from trials and trials that exist in benefits, and Allah is the Most Wise, the One from whom all assistance is sought.

If the mixed people you have known are Muslim, then the "who" or "what" they are is clear alhamdulillah, and everything else is just a detail. The only practical problems I've seen in mixes are social (i.e. not entirely fitting in to any particular cultural group), but even "pure-bred" Muslims who are struggling to cling to Islam may experience similar feelings (i.e. a feeling of strangeness), and Allah knows best what each soul can bear.

As for being "the line that cuts two cultures/ethnicities," I like to think/hope that "mixes" have an inherent reason to turn to Islam for guidance (because it transcends both cultures), and in that there is much benefit to be gained, and Allah knows best.

I ask Allah to unite us all upon that which pleases Him, to rectify our affairs, and not to leave us in charge of our own affairs even for the blink of an eye. Ameen.

zuhair.shaath
11-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I think the previous generation had a much bigger issue with mixed marriages. I personally don't care where the person is from, but I understand the parents who want someone from their own background for their children. A lot of people find it as racism but it isn't at all, it's just easier for parents if they can relate to their new son/daughter in-law.

Zahra Hassan
11-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Asalamualykum
i reali dnt understand the whole point of this, the person who started it just wanted to tell everyone what she is. For the sake of Allah does it mata if ur hlf black hlf GREEN as long as ur muslim alhamduliah. And 4da the person who sed that who r parents 2say dat there child cant marry sum wiv good character just coz of their race, u need to understand that i.e say ur from a African family and u marry a white guy and he beats u ( may dis nt happen to know 1 inshallah) your African family cant do nuthin, coz if he was frm da sme country as u dey could of spoken 2his fam or taken u away, but as his not u urself will feel embrace to tell as dey told u nt 2marry him, u get me. aNYway life is short so just obey ur beloved parents man

Dawud Israel
11-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, I want to ask because we like to idealize these things but the reality is often very different. If we look at our heritage, it's not rare to find that although your a Desi, you have Arab blood or Persian blood in you from a long long time ago. If you are Somali or Sudanese, you probably have some Arab blood. But that sort of interracial mixing was probably very regionalized but now it's pretty open.

I've also heard a few things about this, such as, Somali sisters prefer to marry outside their race. Or how one statistic about how 70% of Black women in the USA, will never get married or are divorced because of black men being in well, let's just say bad situations- pushing them to consider interracial marriages. Or how Bangladeshis prefer Hindus over non-Bangladeshi Muslims.

I wonder how many non arabs would choose not to marry Rusullah (saw) or Fatimah (ra) because of different race/culture?Good question. How many non-Arabs did Rasulullah salallahu alayhi salam marry?

Naima Abdulkadir
11-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Well, I want to ask because we like to idealize these things but the reality is often very different. If we look at our heritage, it's not rare to find that although your a Desi, you have Arab blood or Persian blood in you from a long long time ago. If you are Somali or Sudanese, you probably have some Arab blood. But that sort of interracial mixing was probably very regionalized but now it's pretty open.

I've also heard a few things about this, such as, Somali sisters prefer to marry outside their race. Or how one statistic about how 70% of Black women in the USA, will never get married or are divorced because of black men being in well, let's just say bad situations- pushing them to consider interracial marriages. Or how Bangladeshis prefer Hindus over non-Bangladeshi Muslims.

Good question. How many non-Arabs did Rasulullah salallahu alayhi salam marry?I totally disagree with you brother Daud. To be honest with you many Somalis actually would rather marry within their race. I've only met a few Somali sisters who prefer marrying outside of their race (and I know many Somali sisters). Many of them, however, are open to the idea of marrying outside of their race. It might have to do with the fact that there are more western-raised practising Somali sisters than western-raised practising Somali brothers, wallahu a'lam. You either have to marry a brother who was born into and lived an entirely different lifestyle from yours, or marry outside of your race. (that is if you don't find a brother from your country who was raised in a similar setting as you)

SagalShirdon
12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
I totally disagree with you brother Daud. To be honest with you many Somalis actually would rather marry within their race. I've only met a few Somali sisters who prefer marrying outside of their race (and I know many Somali sisters). Many of them, however, are open to the idea of marrying outside of their race. It might have to do with the fact that there are more western-raised practising Somali sisters than western-raised practising Somali brothers, wallahu a'lam. You either have to marry a brother who was born into and lived an entirely different lifestyle from yours, or marry outside of your race. (that is if you don't find a brother from your country who was raised in a similar setting as you)
I agree with Naima. I'm a Somali American and I'm married to an English/German American. I was open to the idea of an interracial marriage because of the lack of Somali men who grew up in the West. Primarily in my community Somali men are recent immigrants to the US. I'd rather have an interracial marriage as opposed to marriage to a Somali who recently moved to the West. I think racial differences are easier to deal with when compared to cultural differences.

Zahra Hassan
12-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Asalamualykum im from SOMAILAND, but was born in the UK, i would only marry a somail guy, i dnt no where ur going brother but only a small percentage of somail women marry outside, ok yes its growing but its not onli da women. And sister sagal derz lots of practising brothers who where born in UK here lo0l sorry about that. How did your parents react sis?

Generous_1
12-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I've also heard a few things about this, such as, Somali sisters prefer to marry outside their race.
It is a small minority and within the minority some would say they are open-minded to it and will never do it because at the back of their minds they know they have it good with Somali men. I wouldn't do it, not on purpose anyway lol.

Ummmolly
12-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Alhamdulillah, my spouse and both my parents are from different race. My sister is also married to a different race.

spana3rabia
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
lol ...