PDA

View Full Version : Single mothers in Islamic History

Sally Mahmoud
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
So I admit, i had been brainwashed into thinking that children raised by single mothers end up usually with lots of problems and instability in life. That is until i heard a lecture by Sh. Hisham Al-Awadi about various women in history who had found themselves alone raising a child; and instead of rolling over and accepting defeat, they ended up raising the bar for their children, and ensuring that they succeeded in amazing ways!

Among the examples were Imam Ahmed and his mother, and Rabee'a (i believe Imam Ahmed's Adab teacher), raised by his mother. I think both of these mothers were single b/c their husbands went off to war or they were widows.

It was definitely an uplifting lecture.. and it cleared away some of the stereotypes regarding what a single mother is capable of, in the face of adversity, and raising a child on her own.

What other examples can you add here to motivate sisters who might be in this situation to dream big for their children?

Amatullah
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM
The first one that came to my mind when reading the title of the thread was the mother of Imam Maalik, who would take him to the masjid in the early morning.

Also Umm Sulaym radi Allahu anha, mother of Anas ibn Maalik radi Allahu anhu, before she married Abu Talhah radi Allahu anhu.

And Imam Bukhari's mother.

Maryam alayha salaam as well.

Sally Mahmoud
03-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Hmmm.. i wonder if i mixed up Imam Ahmed and Imam Malik..

safa_709
03-03-2009, 12:23 AM

Well Imam Ahmed's mother was also a single mom, I remember listening to a series by Dr. Tareq Sweidan about the life of Imam Ahmed.

I believe his father died in jihaad or something like that; but his mother would also take him to the shuyookh and masajid and to Fajr prayer.

Allahu Akbar! Such great women, the behinds the scenes of the amazing, honorable leaders & scholars of the ummah!

Mariam 3:36
03-03-2009, 01:50 AM
I believe Imam Ash-shafi'ee's father died when he was very young too, waAllahu a'alem.

Ibn Abi Ukhti
03-03-2009, 02:36 AM
BismiLlah

Assalamu 'Alaykum

Yeah sis, Rabi'a Ar-Ray' was the teacher of Imam Malik رحمهما الله

Also the mother of Muhammad the shaheed in the time of Abu Qudamah Al Shaami رحمهما الله

safa_709
03-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Also the mother of Muhammad the shaheed in the time of Abu Qudamah Al Shaami رحمهما اللهSubhanAllah, I love that story!

If anyone would like to learn about Muhammad the young man who the great mujahid, Abu Qudamah never forgot you can listen to a very emotional short segment by Brother Bilal Assad (of Australia) on youtube, search "The Story of Abu Qudama & the Young Boy"

Ya Allah, what honorable people have lived from our ummah, its truly humbling....may Allah make us like these shining examples, and raise from our times people who will elevate the glory of Islam once again in all aspects of life. Ameen thuma Ameen.

Memoona
03-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Not only that but I am sure you can find great single mothers now a days. You just have to look for them.

Sally Mahmoud
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Jazakum Allah khair for the correction! I'm going to re-listen to that lecture, take down some notes and share them with you all! It's very inspiring really.. what one can accomplish despite little means, and setbacks..

I was talking to Yusra yesterday about the stereotypical broken home/single mother image.. and she said that when one is in the islamic sphere, and has eman.. it becomes a very different story...

which leads me to the importance of the power of expectations!! These great women (as the cd said) had great visions for their children.. and not just vision, they expected that if they take those small steps for the sake of Allah, they would be rewarded accordingly... masha'Allah!

If you have access to particular incidents that illustrate the drive and commitment of these single mothers, please share!

Abdullah~
03-03-2009, 10:54 PM
if you take a look at it, we also learned that Halima brought Rasool'Allah peace be upon him back to his mother when he was about 4, after the angels opened his heart and removed "the part of Satan" in him, sal'Allahu alayhi wa salam, and he was with her roughly from the age of 4 to 6 years.

so for a time, you could even say Rasool'Allah sal'Allahu alayhi wa salam was raised by a single mother, and of course, he was an orphan. Allahu Akbar. And Alhamdullilah, he still had such loving family support from a young age.

ps: Barack Obama was also raised by a single mother, may Allah guide him

Mobeen Vaid
03-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I also remember reading that Ibn al-Jawzi was an orphan (father died when he was young) and raised mainly by his mother and aunt, may Allah have mercy on him. Allahu Alam.

Mariam 3:36
03-05-2009, 07:07 PM
SubhanAllah! The Qadr of Allah!

This thread makes me think of the story of Nuh ('alayhis-salaam) and his son and the story of Musa ('alayhis-salaam) and Khidr (the story of the boy and his righteous parents seems especially relevant). SubhanAllah, Allah decreed that those mentioned would lose their fathers, (and not to belittle the dedication of their mothers) but perhaps they found "family"/father figures in the masaajid/circles of knowledge they attended, and those orphans who became people of knowledge...subhanAllah they became inheritors of the prophets ('alayhim as-salaam)!

وَعَسَى أَن تَكْرَهُواْ شَيْئاً وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَى أَن تُحِبُّواْ شَيْئاً وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَّكُمْ وَاللّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنتُمْ لاَ تَعْلَمُونَ

and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.

Allah alone knows how their lives would have been different if they were not orphans, but their stories provide a good reminder--SubhanAllah Al-'Azeez Al-Hakeem!