PDA

View Full Version : My analysis of Winnipeg's Potential

Muhammad Alshareef
01-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Back in my day '85-'95, Winnipeg was the hottest da'wah city in all of North America. If there was a place that matched Winnipeg's hotness (<< is that a Halal word?) I would say it was Virginia/Maryland.

From about '93-'06, Wpg cooled off from the national da'wah map. Big names moved away, a new generation moved in ... things, at least in my opinion, were quiet.

I concede that hot things may have happened locally: Islamic school opening and thriving, new Masjid being built, cool Imam, etc. I'm just speaking on a national impact sort of way.

Here's the good news...

I grilled a senior Wpg uncle for like 1 hour asking him about this group and that, this Masjid and that, this person and that ... trying to understand the dynamics of where the city is now.

From my experience with many many cities in Canada, US, UK ... Wpg will have NO PROBLEM, in sha Allah, to reach big heights in AlMaghrib.

It's only obstacle will be: will young Muslims VALUE the seeking of knowledge or not? Will the message get to them and will it strike a chord?

So, my advice: don't just aim to 'be' an AlMaghrib city. Aim to be YOUR best, and set a standard for many Winnipeg generations to come, and many other cities to follow your example, in sha Allah.

I'm making dua for you.

sarakm
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Jazak Allah khair ya shaikh. This will serve as motivation for the entire core team which has been working really hard to get the word out (despite of the weather :d ). InshAllah I hope to see AM here soon. Winnipeg needs a good ilm kick and we are ready to bring AM here inshaAllah..

Ya team...you heard the shaikh.. lets do our BEST and get AM here inshaAllah

keep us in your prayers shaikh. I have personally come across many young muslims who love the idea and because winnipeg has never had anything like AM before, they are totally thrilled with the idea and looking forward to it.. andddd...We need a promo by you inshaAllah soooon !!! ameen

Khalid_Mohamed
01-10-2010, 01:35 AM
JazakAllah khair shaikh. It's gratifying to have it come from you. Hotness and winnipeg isn't something I'd put in the same sentence though lol.. cos it was like below 40C something today.

But, inshaAllah.. we are trying our best and hamdulilah, we got some new people on board who are really passionate about Islam.. Can we create an ummah like that of the prophet (SAW)? Probably not.. but its good to see the few who care.

Mahada
01-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Asalamu Alaikum Wr,

Jazak Allah khair for the advice Sh. It’s much appreciated. I do believe that AM can definitely have a major impact on the community especially with young Muslims... Insha’ Allah it will happen soon.

jperwaiz
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
In the name of Allah (SWT), Most merciful, Most beneficent

Asalamu Alaikum,

JazakAllah. It is an honor and privilege to respond to your post. Insha Allah, with our prayers we will certainly find "young" people who will have the passion and dedication to be the BEST . . . That is exactly what the Quran tells us . . . " to race with one anonther ..." Insha Allah. and, we also know that it is not the numbers that matters but the "few and the best" with the the best intentions who show their passion through productively spending their time and money for Allah's Deen, insha Allah. This past weekend, it was my pleasure to attend the proposed AM team meeting - and I must say that I found young people with passion and dedication, Alhamdolilah. Of course, we are so brainwashed to think in "numbers" only but we know that is not what matters. Insha Allah with your prayers, we will strive to be the best of the best and May Allah (SWT) grant us success . . . Ameen. InshaAllah, we look forward to hear from you very very soon. Please kindly keep us in your prayers.

P.S. It would be good to get some "lessons learnt" from past prospective AM citites.

jperwaiz
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Bismillah. AoA,
I just got an idea. We should set-up metrics at the next meeting that would define the best AM city. And, then, inshaAllah we should try to beat that.

Wa salam,

Perwaiz

Zeinab Alimire
01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Walakum Asalam WR
jazakallah kharian sheik Muhammed we are honored for the advice you gave us
Alhamdulliah having Al magrib come here is a prevelidge because it will help us beneift more in learning alot about islam.. and as well help many other young muslimss to be motivated into the deen rrather then heading in the wrong pathhh\ insahallah . i hope our success is granted and wishing AL MAGHRIB to come here in WINNIPEG.///

wannabebrown
01-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Jazak Allah Khair for that uplifting message Sh.

It was really great to read that and inshAllah we can all try to aim for our best and inshAllah grab the attention of the youth. Ameen.

bint.khizer
01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
assalamu alaykum,

i am really excited for winnipeg, and i have no doubt insha-allah that you will have no problem in succeeding.

i am also making dua for winnipeg in my heart, may allah bring tons of barakah to your city, ameen.

"will young Muslims VALUE the seeking of knowledge or not? Will the message get to them and will it strike a chord?"

insha-llah it will, from my experience AM always hits the youth more than any other group. and with youth this dedicated, allah will help you!

Muhammad Alshareef
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Always keep AlMaghrib spelled out correctly. Always:

Capital A
Lowercase l
Capital M
No space, no hyphen

AlMaghrib

bint.khizer
01-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Always keep AlMaghrib spelled out correctly. Always:

Capital A
Lowercase l
Capital M
No space, no hyphen

AlMaghribeek, woah, insha-allah i will. didnt know it was a touchy issue:)
my most humble apologies Shaykh Muhammad

*no sarcasm intended

...insha-allah it will, from my experience AlMaghrib always hits the youth more than any other group. and with youth this dedicated, allah will help you!

Pegger
02-16-2010, 12:52 AM
InshaAllah I hope Winnipeg is successful in bringing AlMaghrib to the youth. I kind of wish I was there to be a part of it, being a Winnipegger all my life will remember Wpg in my Duaas.
You guys have come this far! Don't let anyone bring you down.
Remember there will always be obstacles in whatever you do, but you have to be that rock in the river!

wannabebrown
02-16-2010, 02:16 AM
be that rock in the river!

jazak allah khair for posting that. it was a good reminder, i don't know how i ever managed to forget that quote!

Pegger
02-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I wish I could take credit of that quote, but I can't remember where I heard it from.

Zeinab Alimire
03-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Jazakallah khairn Shk Muhammed We will definitly remember to write it correctly!!!!!