PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to get people to register-Banu Winnipeg!!!

Pegger
02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Assalamualaikum All,

So since Winnipeg had it's Promo Event this past weekend, let's give them some ideas to get people to register, as it may be a bit of a struggle the first time around.

Suggestions anyone? What worked for other Qabaa'il? What didn't? Things to look out for, etc.

Come on guys, let's help them out!!!

Mar1am
02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Bismillah.
Assalamu Alaikum!

Well, I'm sure Banu Winnipeg has already started a mailing list. One thing Shaykh Muhammad taught Banu Vancouver was that if you want people to join your mailing list, you need to give them an insentive so they give you the RIGHT email address, rather than a fake one. For example, you can give free AlMaghrib ilmnars for those who give their emails.

Once you establish the core mailing list, you can give out info about AlMaghrib and send trailers of the upcoming classes, etc.

I know banu vancouver is at this exact same stage where we need to start getting people to register for our first class Insha Allah! The promo event REALLY helps and gets people excited.

One strategy we're using is putting up posters everywhere and everytime we go to the masjid, we let people know we're having our first class and basically giving a summary of what the class will be about and telling people how awesome it's going to be Insha Allah. Get local MSA's to help spread the word.

If people want to know more more about the class, encourage them to go on the AlMaghrib website to check out the summary and to come on the forums and check out testimonials from people who have already taken the class.

I know A LOT of people get scared when they see how much it costs, but you just need to reassure people that AlMaghrib is not expensive at all and they do have financial aid and scholarships. It's the same price as normal classes you take at university/college or if not, then definitely cheaper! The only difference is that instead of studying for the duniya, AlMaghrib teaches things about our deen that will help all of us in the duniya and akirah Insha Allah.

I hope this information helps!
Don't hesitate to contact qabaa'il to see what they did to get people to register!

Pegger
02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
JazakAllah Khair Mar1am for that! I hope it helps out Winnipeg!

I'm sure people are scared away with the price as well. And a friend just made me realize the other day as well that it's definitely cheaper than University tuition. And honestly, if people are ready to go shopping at Aldo or Hollister or any brand name store for that matter, they can definitely pay for the AlMaghrib course.

Batool
02-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Assalaamu alaikum Pegger,

Tell us what worked for your Qabilah as well.

sarakm
02-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Walaikum asalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,

JAzak Allah khair Pegger for creating the thread :) . We need it at this point specially with the class being so close and our mission 204 to sell out the class InshaAllah. Keep us in ur dua's

Mar1am.
Jazak Allah for sharing that. We saw similar trend in winnipeg right after promo. You could see the hype everwhere mashaAllah. Alhamdulilah we do have a mailing list of our now and we are sending out emails. Also, the idea to put up posters is really good and i think it really works because atleast when you talk to people they recognize AlMaghrib through posters.

InshaAllah keep us in ur dua's =)

Pegger
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Pegger,

Tell us what worked for your Qabilah as well.

Wa Salaam,

I don't know what worked for QNasr, as I just moved here less than a year ago, but I do have some suggestions that may work InshaAllah.

I find that just putting up posters and handing out flyers doesn't always work. I mean it does to some extent, but then they get too repetitive and it ends up that people will just fold the flyer and it'll end up in the recycling bin.

I think the best way to get people to register is to approach them face to face. If you see them on campus or at the masjid or anywhere else, get them to register on the spot, tell them they can pay later, or offer to pick up the payment from their house.

Have a get-together at someone's house, talk about AlMaghrib, and get people to register there. Call people up and remind them about the upcoming class, remind them that their seat is reserved (if they have registered). And if not, then go to their house and get them to register.

Offer to carpool with others, so that people are coming to class together, it may be more fun that way for some....

I know this is a lot of work, and requires a lot of effort but InshaAllah it is all worth it in the end. Just think if you do all this and get even just one person to register, how much reward you will get. It is Sadaqah Jaariya for you.

I hope that helps InshaAllah!

Pegger
02-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Some more that I forgot to mention:

Have people go to different Jummah locations and get people to register there. You would have to really FORCE people to do it, it will require a lot of effort on your part.

Make sure that the brothers and sisters both have "ambassadors" (not the right word, but thats the one that came to mind) that are going to the Jummah locations. Since you guys only have a few weeks, I suggest you step on it. :)

Batool
02-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Wow masha'Allah those are awesome ideas keep them rolling

JAzak Allahu khairan

Pegger
02-25-2010, 02:26 PM
My mind is racing here, I just really want this to be successful in Winnipeg, so here's another one that just popped in my mind.

Offer some kind of incentive (nothing expensive, I don't know if you guys have a budget, and I hope this doesn't sound like bribery!) but tell people that they'll get something in the mail if they register, and it can be a gift card or even just a card as a thank you with a message and maybe some chocolates or something from the AlMaghrib Banu Thalj Team. (You guys can collaborate a better idea for an incentive or free gift). This will InshaAllah cause more hype and the word will INSHAALLAH get around faster.

Batool
02-25-2010, 02:33 PM
masha'Allah awesome idea Pegger. I think we should definitely offer an incentive for people, nothing expensive like you said.

keep going masha'Allah....

wannabebrown
02-26-2010, 03:42 AM
jazak Allah khair for posting all those awesome ideas. they will coem in handy inshAllah. i personally have found that if you can talk to the "leaders" of specific groups alhumdulilah it makes a massive difference because with one person you get 4 or 5 others, for example.

also getting ppl involved in helping with little things really helps too and gets them super excited when promoting it.

keep us in your du'as!!

Pegger I want you here for a Seminar!!!

Batool
02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
excellent points wannabebrown and Pegger!!!

Please keep coming up with more...

Pegger
02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
jazak Allah khair for posting all those awesome ideas. they will coem in handy inshAllah. i personally have found that if you can talk to the "leaders" of specific groups alhumdulilah it makes a massive difference because with one person you get 4 or 5 others, for example.

also getting ppl involved in helping with little things really helps too and gets them super excited when promoting it.

keep us in your du'as!!

Pegger I want you here for a Seminar!!!

Oh gosh I would LOVE to attend a seminar with you guys, but InshaAllah maybe for the next one. I've come to Winnipeg one too many times in the past year!

So how's the progress btw?

Pegger
02-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Be sure to have registration forms ready. As your walking from class to class on campus and bump into anyone, make them register on the spot!!!
And your right that persuading the 'group leaders' will lead to others following in their footsteps.
Let me know how you guys are progressing InshaAllah!

Taibah
02-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I suggest we have a random samosa sale after jummah on campus, everyone runs to buy overly-priced food from the campus foodcourt anyway.......Once theyre buying samosas, we can persuade people to register by having intimate one-on-one discussions with our "customers" about how awesome and how great the seminar will be....lets face it, flyers just aint working :(

i dont know if AM requires us to fundraise or not, but we can collect money from the samosa sale to perhaps go towards paying babysitting staff for the seminar...

Taibah
02-27-2010, 12:31 AM
^my point overall is that, there is heavy printed advertising of the event, yet not much verbal communication to people. and thats what we need.

wannabebrown
02-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Oh gosh I would LOVE to attend a seminar with you guys, but InshaAllah maybe for the next one. I've come to Winnipeg one too many times in the past year!

So how's the progress btw?I know i just really wish you could be here for this. just reminds me of back in the day when we all used to sit and listen to these lectures. and now we have a chance to experience the live event, alhumdulilah :).

wannabebrown
02-27-2010, 03:05 AM
Alhumdulilah, when you are talking to people about coming out to the seminar it helps A LOT if you promote it to people with the same enthusiasm you have for it. If you can show people how excited you are and sell it to them the same way you sold it to yourself it makes a world of a difference.

and YESSS!! does it ever help to have those sheets with you. I missed two really really good oppertunities in the last two days, ugh. Still really upset about that. InshAllah, thats a lesson learned.

taibah thanks for the great suggestion. we've actually been discussing that amongst ourselves here and there for a few weeks now. i like your idea a lot. i know you really want to help.. any chance you wanna take lead to get this started?? I was thinking a one day crazy samosa sale in the science tunnel and the one by fletcher, inshAllah. what do you think??

wannabebrown
02-27-2010, 03:12 AM
also taibah i agree with you, it helps a lot to talk to people directly. after the session we had with the Sh. we all took a bunch of forms so people all have a target they need to meet.

what are some things that give you the 'i want almaghrib SUUUPER bad' feeling?

Taibah
02-27-2010, 03:13 AM
^id love to :D
btw, where did you guys get samosas for the promo? they were really good cuz they had no peas...

Taibah
02-27-2010, 03:19 AM
i think we have to use some major keywords to get people hyped. i think keeping our demograph in mind, you need to find the right things to say that 1. appeal to them and 2. what would provoke them to join....im dying to say 'Fresh' at the moment lol..only cuz i cant come up with anything else rite now. il have to think about it for a day and see what i come up with. maybe sift throught my notes...

really dislike how i missed the training session...

wannabebrown
02-27-2010, 03:21 AM
really?? oooh i love samosa's with peas lol. they ordered them from clay oven and alhumduliah they gave us a pretty good deal on the order.

im really happy to hear you're taking this up. one thing id suggest before you start is talk to the ameerah (sara). then from there i was thinking, if possible we could do it in the next week?? perhaps if we work quick enough it could be done for the end of the week, what do you think?

there are defintely some costs to be met but inshAllah we can discuss details later.

i would suggest maybe stopping by special functions this week on campus and then getting approval from the faculties. also getting a team of people together would help too inshAllah. again, discuss it with sara she knows which positions all the volunteers.

very good idea to get ppl registered tho, love it!

sarakm
02-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I am loving the idea :D .. We should definitely go for it and Taibah I guess you should take the lead on it inshaAllah if you wish .. Lol the samosa's were from clay oven at the promo and i actually liked them too =d

I was wondering should we keep it for next friday or do it before that? Next friday means March 5th. I think we should definitely give it a go and get as many people as possible and then as wannabebrown said it'll also help us with fundraising in itself ..

Pegger
02-27-2010, 10:33 AM
forget selling the somosas, you should tell people they'll only get one if they register for the course!!! That'll work!

wannabebrown
02-27-2010, 06:39 PM
if it works for taibah let's aim for march 5th for the samosa sale, times ticking..

-the spots need to be reserved with special functions asap tho and keep in mind that there is a $20 or something fee to set up there..but i dont know if thats per location or not

Batool
02-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Msa conference would be good place to spread the word?

sarakm
02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
^ that's definitely on our list =) ..

I agree with wannabebrown..lets aim for march 5th inshaAllah ..

Pegger
02-28-2010, 01:50 PM
You guys should all wear a similar Hijab or something that'll make you stand out so that people who want to register will know who to go to.

Ibnu Ismail
02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
If possible get the local imam or whoever gives the khutbah at the Varsity to give a/couple of khutba(s) which lead to the topic at hand to prep the community about the exciting seminar.

On another note, its important to ease the local scholars into AlMaghrib. Many scholars are territorial and will see AlMaghrib as a threat to their community or as an institute doing their job. This is due to them not being exposed to the way AlMaghrib conducts its affairs.A good idea is to have a meeting with the imams/leaders of the community and introduce them formally to what AlMaghrib is about and answer any queries they may harbour. Even better would be to formally invite them with a card to the free Friday and recognize their presence there on Friday. This would benefit the banu two fold. Firstly, people will see that their imam approves of AlMaghrib and secondly that you wont have to deal with a disgruntled imam in the future rather you can use him as an asset.

And Allah knows best.

wannabebrown
03-01-2010, 03:19 AM
I suggest we have a random samosa sale after jummah on campus, everyone runs to buy overly-priced food from the campus foodcourt anyway.......Once theyre buying samosas, we can persuade people to register by having intimate one-on-one discussions with our "customers" about how awesome and how great the seminar will be....lets face it, flyers just aint working :(

i dont know if AM requires us to fundraise or not, but we can collect money from the samosa sale to perhaps go towards paying babysitting staff for the seminar...i was thinking earlier today Taibah and i had a couple of concerns and questions..

-where in the prayer room would you be having this?
-jummah at the prayer room is pretty rushed, there is barely any room to breathe, let alone sell food.. how might that be managed?
-alhumdulilah it looks like people are really registering by word of mouth.. how would you find it effective to sell something and still get the response of committment

sorry for the bit of change in opinion. i was initially under the impression you were suggesting this for the mere purpose of gaining funds to pay for babysitting, etc. also that it would be available to the general public on campus to recieve more profit from sales. then if the muslim student body was to approach there could be a possible discussion about the seminar and registration.

if you could clarify your intentions and approach on this i would greatly appreciate it :)

wannabebrown
03-01-2010, 03:20 AM
You guys should all wear a similar Hijab or something that'll make you stand out so that people who want to register will know who to go to.i loooove this idea!! kinda like the pink hijabs for cancer awareness

wannabebrown
03-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Msa conference would be good place to spread the word?already on it :D

wannabebrown
03-01-2010, 03:27 AM
If possible get the local imam or whoever gives the khutbah at the Varsity to give a/couple of khutba(s) which lead to the topic at hand to prep the community about the exciting seminar.

On another note, its important to ease the local scholars into AlMaghrib. Many scholars are territorial and will see AlMaghrib as a threat to their community or as an institute doing their job. This is due to them not being exposed to the way AlMaghrib conducts its affairs.A good idea is to have a meeting with the imams/leaders of the community and introduce them formally to what AlMaghrib is about and answer any queries they may harbour. Even better would be to formally invite them with a card to the free Friday and recognize their presence there on Friday. This would benefit the banu two fold. Firstly, people will see that their imam approves of AlMaghrib and secondly that you wont have to deal with a disgruntled imam in the future rather you can use him as an asset.

And Allah knows best.
Jazak Allah Khair for all the insight. you raised some great points that will inshAllah go a long way in helping us.

Pegger
03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Just wanted to ask, where exactly did you guys market AlMaghrib? Was it just on campus and at Masjids? Or did you guys go to different neighborhoods? I know that there are a lot of Muslims that live in the Beliveau area. That would be a good place to market and get registration going.

Batool
03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
host parties in those areas...people are least resistant when there is yummy food around!!!

Batool
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Pegger and wannabebrown its been a little quiet here...
I know you two are working overtime with more ideas on how to get people

sarakm
03-02-2010, 09:48 PM
i was thinking earlier today Taibah and i had a couple of concerns and questions..

-where in the prayer room would you be having this?
-jummah at the prayer room is pretty rushed, there is barely any room to breathe, let alone sell food.. how might that be managed?
-alhumdulilah it looks like people are really registering by word of mouth.. how would you find it effective to sell something and still get the response of committment

sorry for the bit of change in opinion. i was initially under the impression you were suggesting this for the mere purpose of gaining funds to pay for babysitting, etc. also that it would be available to the general public on campus to recieve more profit from sales. then if the muslim student body was to approach there could be a possible discussion about the seminar and registration.

if you could clarify your intentions and approach on this i would greatly appreciate it :)I have to agree with wannabebrown here. I think the prayer room wouldnt be the ideal location. InshaAllah please let us know how you plan to do it taibah.
Also, we definitely need fund for the babysitting and this seems a good opportunity to do so.

Zahraah
03-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I was informed today that we haven't advertised much in the masjids/local halaal stores etc. Perhaps we should get on that ASAP? inshaAllah. I'll be willing to do some areas.

Pegger
03-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Pegger and wannabebrown its been a little quiet here...
I know you two are working overtime with more ideas on how to get people

I'm so sorry I've been absent for a while, I didn't really get a chance to sit down today until now.

I hear there is a conference coming up for you guys? Is anyone doing a little presentation on AlMaghrib at the conference? Maybe like a 2 minute thing? I think it would be a good idea if everyone (sisters) wore the same color Hijab (I know I already said that) that'll get people curious as to why you guys are dressed similar and will InshaAllah inquire, etc, etc.
I think if the brothers wear something similar as well, they can draw attention as well..

Will you guys have a table set up with forms?

How about giving a free "surprise" gift to the first 20 (or next 20, I don't know what your numbers are). Maybe someone can announce that at the conference so that people can register there.

And another thing, people will always make excuses ("Oh I don't know what my work schedule will be for that week", "I think I have a paper coming up", "I'll let you know soon", "I think I'm busy" etc ) Just make people register ON THE SPOT. It's just two weekends, half the time we all sleep half the day on Saturdays anyways (well Mommies don't but everyone else prrobably does! :)
AND we ALL get busy, that's what life is. It's busy. So just pressure people to register, don't let those excuses fool you!

sarakm
03-02-2010, 10:05 PM
^ Those are some AWESOME idea's mashaAllah. We need to get someone to talk to the organizers of the conference and see what his say is on that inshaAllah but honestly im loving the idea of first 20 registerants getting something for free..(who doesnt like free goodies?) .. im going to get my eagles on this =d ..

Jazak Allah khair Pegger .. ur just awesome =d

sarakm
03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I was informed today that we haven't advertised much in the masjids/local halaal stores etc. Perhaps we should get on that ASAP? inshaAllah. I'll be willing to do some areas.let me know what areas you can cover inshaAllah..ive the material with me =)

wannabebrown
03-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Those are some really good ideas Pegger. You got some suuuper great ones mashAllah.

I want to really stress just going up to any Muslims, even if you don't totally know them, you honestly have nothing to lose and everything to gain inshAllah.

Pegger
03-02-2010, 10:28 PM
How about letting everyone know that once they have registered, their name will go in a draw and at the course they will be given a prize! Come up with some ideas that can be a prize. Maybe have 5 prizes or something so that the odds of someone winning are higher! BUT they have to register first!!!!
(This will obviously have to be announced at the Conference, given you have permission from the MSA, InshaAllah they will give you permission).
Oh and keep in mind, don't do anything too expensive, but not overly cheap either!

Hope that helps! :D

Zahraah
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Wannabebrown i used your tactic of going upto anyone.. and it worked !! Maybe because they were shocked and didn't know what to say..but that's not the point. It worked.. :D

wannabebrown
03-03-2010, 02:12 AM
^ Those are some AWESOME idea's mashaAllah. We need to get someone to talk to the organizers of the conference and see what his say is on that inshaAllah but honestly im loving the idea of first 20 registerants getting something for free..(who doesnt like free goodies?) .. im going to get my eagles on this =d ..

Jazak Allah khair Pegger .. ur just awesome =dPegger is awesome, truely awesome :)

wannabebrown
03-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Wannabebrown i used your tactic of going upto anyone.. and it worked !! Maybe because they were shocked and didn't know what to say..but that's not the point. It worked.. :Dhahaha awesome!! i told you, it's great! and never feel guilty! you are doing something amazing for them :).

ps. welcome to the forums :)

sarakm
03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Wannabebrown i used your tactic of going upto anyone.. and it worked !! Maybe because they were shocked and didn't know what to say..but that's not the point. It worked.. :Dhaha I used her tactic as well and stole her people :d ...

warda ahmed
03-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Asalaamwalekum,

Banu Thalj in Winnipeg is a dream come true for many of us by the grace of Allah SWT,inshallah may this dream become a reality that stayes with us forever,lets do what we can BANU THALJ....

wannabebrown
03-03-2010, 09:05 PM
inshAllah. :)