PDA

View Full Version : Imagine a Winnipeg...

Muhammad Alshareef
02-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Where the sisters, as awesome as they are in terms of representin', the brothers outnumbering them 2 to 1!

That gives me chills thinkin' about how awesome that would be.

O Allah, bless Winnipeg with that reality. Ameen.

sarakm
02-28-2010, 02:17 AM
Imagine a winnipeg with brothers outnumbering sisters under the leadership of Sh. Muhammad .. Ameen to that..what do ya say shaikh ?

wannabebrown
02-28-2010, 03:45 AM
InshAllah. Ameen. I hope that comes true Sheikh.

Batool
02-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Sara, we would love to see that here...perhaps in the near future insha'Allah

wannabebrown
03-01-2010, 03:31 AM
i can't remember if i already asked this somewhere else with my after midnight spaming lol but how did the lunch go?

ayatsm
03-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Allahuma ameen.

sarakm
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
i can't remember if i already asked this somewhere else with my after midnight spaming lol but how did the lunch go?It was amazinggg !!! .. for two reasons because mashaAllah Batool had put so much effort into everything and secondly because we had sister's only session with Sh Muhammad. I already told u the whole talk we had with sh muhammad over the phone :p ..

p.s .. u and pegger were missed a lot though ..

Batool
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
We need the brothers in the forums to participate more...

Sara...remember he talked about developing identity muscles!

wannabebrown
03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
whats the talk about identity muscles??

muslimah_19
03-03-2010, 11:56 PM
hmm? fill me in this weekend please Sara

sarakm
03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
lol batool u will need to explain to these girls what muscles we are talking about :d ..

Muslimah .. for sure inshaAllah..hows the study going?

Batool
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Well, one of the differences one notes in many communities especially here is that sisters tend to be stronger and more active than the brothers...why is that? Because sisters have developed stronger identity muscles due to many reasons...for instance the hijab makes them stand out as muslims...whereas the brothers easily blend and fit in the society at large and don't get to always develop their muslim identity...hence sisters are mostly stronger when it comes to islam because they have to defend it more when they are discriminated etc.

Hope that makes sense...others may add to it, insha'Allah

Pegger
03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, one of the differences one notes in many communities especially here is that sisters tend to be stronger and more active than the brothers...why is that? Because sisters have developed stronger identity muscles due to many reasons...for instance the hijab makes them stand out as muslims...whereas the brothers easily blend and fit in the society at large and don't get to always develop their muslim identity...hence sisters are mostly stronger when it comes to islam because they have to defend it more when they are discriminated etc.

Hope that makes sense...others may add to it, insha'Allah

That is so true. My husband jokes that he never ever got extra searched at airports before until he married me :p

I think another reason is that in some communities boys don't have good role models. Sh. Muhammad mentioned this when he came to Calgary for the One Ummah Conference. Who do boys these days have to look up to? They look up to athletes, celebrities, singers, etc. Unfortunately (as Sh. Muhammad mentioned) you don't ever hear young boys saying that their role model is Umar RA, which is very disturbing. It makes me sad that while I had a chance to learn about Islam with a good strong group of friends, my younger brother has no good role models to learn from. Getting together and playing basketball once a week at the masjid never benefitted him the way going to my weekly halaqa benefitted me. I hope InshaAllah that changes now that AlMaghrib has entered Winnipeg.

When women are stronger in communities, they tend to be more social, they will hold gatherings, and the sisterhood is much more durable.
Alhumdulillah I was very blessed to have a wonderful role model in my life (aka Batool :) and I'm sure others will agree as well. The core years of youth are from junior high through highschool and all the way to university because this is when we realize who we really are, and this is when we are influenced by the company we keep. That's why it's so important to be cautious of who our friends are.
My mom used to say to me and my sisters that our classmates at school can never really be our friends. And I used to think that she was wrong, I never really understood why she would say that, but now I realize she was so right. Although I had good relationships in high school with my non muslim friends, I honestly hear from them once in a blue moon. I'm not saying they were bad, they were good people. But the friends that I really truely valued are the ones that I benefitted from; my Muslim friends that I would see every friday night and had the most amazing time with.

I guess another reason is girls are more chatty. :) They like to talk more about feelings and can really open up if they have a problem, so naturally it is easy for them to seek advice from someone. And that someone is usually someone they trust (ie a role model). Whereas boys don't talk about their feelings or problems, and keep it bottled up inside, and I think a reason being is that they have no one to really go to with their concerns. This to me is very concerning.

Batool
03-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Masha'Allah Pegger those are profound observations...

Could it be that the difference in identity muscles has to do with parenting...sometimes parents are very easy on their boys, make statements like "boys will be boys" or only stress their role as bread winners...don't seek spiritual role models for them.

What do you all think?

Batool
03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
ON a more positive note more and more parents are realizing that their children need guidance and tarbia...insha'Allah we hope that Almaghrib can fill that vacuum here.

Pegger
03-04-2010, 07:27 PM
That is so true. My husband jokes that he never ever got extra searched at airports before until he married me :p

I think another reason is that in some communities boys don't have good role models. Sh. Muhammad mentioned this when he came to Calgary for the One Ummah Conference. Who do boys these days have to look up to? They look up to athletes, celebrities, singers, etc. Unfortunately (as Sh. Muhammad mentioned) you don't ever hear young boys saying that their role model is Umar RA, which is very disturbing. It makes me sad that while I had a chance to learn about Islam with a good strong group of friends, my younger brother has no good role models to learn from. Getting together and playing basketball once a week at the masjid never benefitted him the way going to my weekly halaqa benefitted me. I hope InshaAllah that changes now that AlMaghrib has entered Winnipeg.

When women are stronger in communities, they tend to be more social, they will hold gatherings, and the sisterhood is much more durable.
Alhumdulillah I was very blessed to have a wonderful role model in my life (aka Batool :) and I'm sure others will agree as well. The core years of youth are from junior high through highschool and all the way to university because this is when we realize who we really are, and this is when we are influenced by the company we keep. That's why it's so important to be cautious of who our friends are.
My mom used to say to me and my sisters that our classmates at school can never really be our friends. And I used to think that she was wrong, I never really understood why she would say that, but now I realize she was so right. Although I had good relationships in high school with my non muslim friends, I honestly hear from them once in a blue moon. I'm not saying they were bad, they were good people. But the friends that I really truely valued are the ones that I benefitted from; my Muslim friends that I would see every friday night and had the most amazing time with.

I guess another reason is girls are more chatty. :) They like to talk more about feelings and can really open up if they have a problem, so naturally it is easy for them to seek advice from someone. And that someone is usually someone they trust (ie a role model). Whereas boys don't talk about their feelings or problems, and keep it bottled up inside, and I think a reason being is that they have no one to really go to with their concerns. This to me is very concerning.

I just wanted to clarify something that I said, regarding playing basketball once a week. It's true that by not doing so the youth can probably be somewhere else like a bar or doing drugs, etc, and it's better for them to be in the masjid playing with a bunch of boys than be doing other things, BUT, it's also beneficial to do something islamic. And I've heard the arguement that 'if we do that then kids will stay away from the masjid' etcetera ecetera. But we can't always avoid things that may bring some good. Allahu Alim.

ANyways I just wanted to clear that up incase anyone was wondering...

Pegger
03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Masha'Allah Pegger those are profound observations...

Could it be that the difference in identity muscles has to do with parenting...sometimes parents are very easy on their boys, make statements like "boys will be boys" or only stress their role as bread winners...don't seek spiritual role models for them.

What do you all think?

I think your right some parents do that, but some parents also do the opposite where they are concerned about their son's well being. It's just in a lot of communities the "older" boys (I should say men) focus more on "fun" things, and avoid serious and important things. And if someone were to bring that up it usually becomes controversial. And let's face it, kids don't always listen to their parents, they will most likely listen to their friends. Some parents do seek role models for them, but if they are not available then what's to be done about that? I'm always concerned about my brother and cousins because in this day and age there is just really a lack of maturity when it comes to the older generation. And if I'm wrong then I guess I just haven't seen them yet. They must be hiding :P

wannabebrown
03-05-2010, 04:00 AM
You two have brought up some really really interesting points. I feel that at the youth ages kids do tend to resepct their peers more than their parents. Like Pegger said, its SO important to be surrounded by something regular and being able to have a mentor or someone to look up at as a role model, mashAllah Batool you have truely been an amazing one. My Allah reward you for everything inshAllah. It just seems that both the girls and the guys in this current generation struggle at finding their right identity..it seems as tho the deen was traded, all in all for this dunya. The identity muscles way of putting it was really good! I have more on this topic but inshAllah ill give it a nights rest to come up with more inshAllah.

isatabintAhmad
03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I just wanted to clarify something that I said, regarding playing basketball once a week. It's true that by not doing so the youth can probably be somewhere else like a bar or doing drugs, etc, and it's better for them to be in the masjid playing with a bunch of boys than be doing other things, BUT, it's also beneficial to do something islamic. And I've heard the arguement that 'if we do that then kids will stay away from the masjid' etcetera ecetera. But we can't always avoid things that may bring some good. Allahu Alim.

ANyways I just wanted to clear that up incase anyone was wondering...
Jazaka'Allahu khayr for sharing! I learned so much from your note.