PDA

View Full Version : Liwaa'/Raayah Criteria [Shura]

Muhammad Alshareef
03-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Bismillah.

I'd love to hear what you guys want to include in the criteria of which qabeelah is chosen to win the Liwaa cup/Raayah trophy.

Criteria fall into 2 categories:
Objective and Subjective.
Objective is purely mathematical: how many people attended a seminar, what percentage attended the exams.

For Liwaa': up to 350 students, after which the number does not weigh in on the competition. (Primarily Majd, Durbah, Shams, - and others who get into this zone this year, in sha Allah)
Raayah trophy: up to 250 students. (For everyone else)

Subjective is where I need your shura on. Many Qabeelahs are actually in the 'zone' of winning the Liwaa' or Raayah trophy, so we need more difficult criteria (in order to raise the game, and separate the outstanding from the excellent.)

So here is what I've got so far, let's see what you've got:

-- Support to other Qabeelahs (this is one of the biggest in my mind), the ability of a Qabeelah to win the hearts of other Qabeelahs, and to support their brothers and sisters in other cities.

(i.e. who wants to give the liwaa' to a city that their neighboring brothers and sisters think are arrogant and have been hurt by them! Durbah EXCELLED in this criteria, students from all around the world were voting for them.)

-- Profitability – the ability of the Qabeelah to keep costs lower, which ultimately strengthens the entire AlMaghrib non-profit system.
(Example, if a 250 student body rents a 180 thousand dollar hotel - I'm exaggerating here, so that you get the point. Sure the seminar will be grandiose, with strobing lights and all that, but eventually AlMaghrib and all other cities and students suffer because such a class takes this AlMaghrib non-profit project into debt.)

-- Swiftness of students (The speed at which students in that Qabeelah race to register for a seminar. A seminar that sells out 1 month before the upcoming seminar is way more exciting than a seminar that has empty seats)

You'll see QShams, LondonUK, excelled in this area.

-- Relative growth – the highest relative growth of the Qabeelah from the previous year. (So if a Qabeelah has built itself up from where it was, that surely should have more weight)

-- Community contribution and family ties – the effectiveness of the Qabeelah’s Chartiree projects and outreach to the Qabeelahs local community.

(This is another big one for me. What is the Qabeelah's 'family ties' position with their local community. Again Durbah excelled in this.)

-- Marketing creativity – the creativity of the Qabeelah in promoting and marketing the seminars and its projects.

(When a Qabeelah excels in exciting people to take studies of their Deen seriously, their marketing insights will be of benefit to others.)

Muhammad Alshareef
03-14-2010, 11:59 AM
So what would you like to see the Qabeelahs focusing on to win the Liwaa' or Raayah?

Muhammad Alshareef
03-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Ok, I would add:

-- Organizational Professionalism
(Cleanliness, starting/ending on time, students ushered smoothly, students coming back from break on time-not walking in late, distracting class. Etc.)

Abd Al-Azeez
03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Bismillāh wAlhamdulillāh was-Salātu was-Salāmu 'alā Rasūlillāh,

As-Salāmu ‘alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi wa Barakātuhū,

I believe the Qabeelahs ability to maintain AlMaghribs strength in it's local Islamic environment (i.e. how many other Islamic organisations are working in the city/how active they are/how well the Qabeelah is doing given the competition) should be taken into account.

This is not a theoretical category as in the case of QShams.

And Allaah knows best.

Wa ‘alaykum as-Salām Rahmatullāhi wa Barakātuhū.

Ali 22
03-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Seminar Follow-up

the ability of a qabeelah to come together after a seminar and do productive activities that help their students to instil the knowledge learnt at the seminar and keep the brotherhood alive (i.e. study groups, sports activities, dinner/lunch outtings, halaqahs, etc)

bint_habibullah
03-14-2010, 03:14 PM
^ Along with that idea I notice there are probably more volunteer activities and they're quite exclusive. Why not have a qabeelah get together? There are plenty of regular students who aren't volunteers. There are a lot of volunteer cliques from what I've seen.

Da'wah outreach to non-Muslims as a qabeelah.

Muhammad Alshareef
03-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I guess the question is: "The ideal Qabeelah: what do we want it to look like and do?"

We are not trying to create new organizations within the Qabeelah, almaghrib's strength has always been in focusing on what it does best and strengthening (not clashing) with other Muslim organizations.

-----------
Here's something I would add:
AlMaghrib Endowment Fund: A Qabeelah's love and support toward the larger vision of AlMaghrib.

For Liwaa' Cup specifically: Qabeelah's strength in keeping the students informed of AlMaghrib happenings. (In the Loop)

-------------
Note: I'm pushing the limits of what a top class Qabeelah does so that we can give a 2 millimeter advantage to one over the other, to distinguish the best of the best from the best.

Abd Al-Azeez
03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
JazakAllaah khayr, Shaykh.

Forgive me but I did not intend 'competition' with other organisations for the sake of clashing, rather that if there are numerous organisations offering seminars/retreats/study circles/weekend activities within one city, a successful and strong Qabeelah in such a city would, at the same time as maintaining good links with all other organisations, still improve and enhance it's presence and reach through it's inspiration and perspiration. This in itself is a significant milestone that should not be discounted from the criteria.

And Allah knows best.

Muhammad Alshareef
03-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Also:
Qabeelah forum participation

Munawwara
03-15-2010, 08:46 AM
This may sound a bit simple, but when me and my husband first attended the Al Maghrib seminars, we actively looked for 'welcoming personas' from the volunteers/staff - when we see lots of smiles from all the staff it illuminates the qabeelah and I believe this is a sign of strength.

Happy staff = happy audience = happy qabeelah = strong qabeelah.

As'ad
03-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

I agree with the majority of the points mentioned before a few to add are;

1) Qabeelahs that make the most most fund for themselves via sales of Merchandise, etc.

QFawz and QMass are very good at this Mash'Allah.
But then QShams just get a 500+ seminar and do a one of $$$$$$ huge auction.

New ideas for making revenue streams and how much made would be a category for me.

2) Positive PR- After undertaking an impact project getting the most amount of press and media outlets to report positively about the project.

3) Commercials/Trailers better than HQ- Not been done yet but there is huge talent out there in our communities, lets see if a Qabeelah can actually make a trailer better than what HQ make.
(As a heads up almost all new class poster designs are made by one of the QFawz crew, Mash'Allah!) And Belal before he started working on the movie and other stuff was the source of trailers another scoop to Durbah.

harmony
03-15-2010, 06:52 PM
We ought to use the same criteria as mentioned above however I propose a minor amendment.

To compare like for like (without added dimensions or differing parameters), each 'country' should be designated its own award ie UK, Canada and US.

Naturally this should remove ambiguities in real comparisons. For example: London, UK may pay twice the odds for a 300 seater venue compared to a like venue in Memphis, US. Under the current criteria, London would be deemed to be penalised.

The top one or two winner(s) in each 'country' then battle it out for the Liwaa'.

You've guessed it - it's based on football! Each country has its own league, the top teams qualify for the Champions league, who then battle it out for top spot.

harmony
03-15-2010, 07:08 PM
1) Qabeelahs that make the most most fund for themselves via sales of Merchandise, etc.

QFawz and QMass are very good at this Mash'Allah.
But then QShams just get a 500+ seminar and do a one of $$$$$$ huge auction.

This should be incorporated into the profitability criteria. At Mass, merchandise only represents a portion of it's income, others coming from sales of books, food, drinks, Qur'an CD's - these are regular streams of income that avoids the need to shove buckets under students' noses!

Increased sales = more funds for Qabeelah hospitality + more scholarships + better and bigger projects = healthier Qabeelah!

Muhammad Alshareef
03-15-2010, 11:58 PM
I like the idea of a Qabeelah happy smiles crew. Indeed, it makes a pleasant seminar that much more special for new comers to the community.

-- hospitality as well.

-- I thought about the each country face off against it's own, however I think that does not end up with positive results. Neighboring cities would be pitted against one another, and that does not promote brother/sisterhood.

In Canada, when a cities hockey team has been knocked out of the playoffs, ALL Canadian cities start cheering for their Canadian brethren, wherever that city may be.

So if Vancouver gets knocked out of the playoffs, but Ottawa not, people in Vancouver will cheer Ottawa if Ottawa plays against a USA team.

But regardless, the ultimate goal is to create criteria where the most loving, most helpful, most highly regarded Qabeelah by other 'younger brother' Qabeelahs should be the one most deserving of carrying the cup.

PS: feel free to post your criteria no matter how silly or simple it may seem. It may be a seed that develops into a beautiful fruit.

Anti_Shaytan
03-16-2010, 12:05 AM
- Most "in-between" seminar activity
- More first time students each seminar
- Amount of seminars taken by current students (consistency)
- Post seminar Academics (preparation for exam, activities related to exam, etc.)
- Extras: who provides the best snacks, babysitting arrangements, class activities, etc.
- Activities done for marketing next class (promos, road trips, etc.)

Abu Unaysah
03-16-2010, 02:45 AM
Active and transparent implementation of comments and suggestions received in evaluation/feedback forms. To communicate changes made, saying "we listened to you, and have decided to..."

Just makes people feel involved and that their suggestions are welcome and may result in actual change/improvement.

Deena Bint Hayder
03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Bismillah,

I was thinking: what is it that a Qabeelah; being a place for studying Islamic knowledge in which our goal is to ultimately please Allah, strive and compete for inorder to be 'the best of the best from the best'? Implement and Spread the Knowledge.

Verily with ilm comes responsibility and inorder for oneself to implement and spread the knowledge correctly and wholesomely one must soldify and further their knowledge and understanding --> and that's when IlmSummit came to mind- retreat where you can do just that inshAllah.

And hence this is what I came-up with:
Somehow link it to IlmSummit; to bring about more awareness and striving for it amongst the Qabeelahs and their students.

Criteria: Most students from a Qabeelah that have been accepted a place at IlmSummit and attended. And to take things further, what have they done with all that they've learnt?

And Allah knows best.

bint_habibullah
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Criteria: Most students from a Qabeelah that have been accepted a place at IlmSummit and attended. And to take things further, what have they done with all that they've learnt?

And Allah knows best.I second that. Let's see how many Ilm Summit students go back and re-teach it to their communities and respective qabeelahs.