PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Vancouver soon Inshallah

Preciouz Pearl
10-25-2010, 01:09 AM
As salam a'ley kom warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu :)))

Inshallah I will be moving to Vancouver with my hubby and a toddler :). We are currently residing in Toronto Canada and mashallah the Muslim community here is great :) there are tons of masjids, tons of halal restaurants, tons of Muslim events ... you just feel part of the community - I feel a little hesitant and nervous moving to Vancouver as I don't know much about the community - If time permits I would really appreciate if you guys can give me some brief info. on Vancouver where the Muslim community is? masjids, halal restaurants ... events ... and whatever info. we should know ...

I would really appreciate if you can get back to me on this :)))

Jazakallahu kheirn

Your Sister in Islam -

Umm Yahya

Zoobi
10-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Assalaam Alaikum!

How are you? Wow--- it must be hard changing cities. I've lived in Vancouver my whole life! I have no idea how it would be to start anew. May Allah (SWT) make it easy for you, inshaAllah.

When are you moving to Vancouver?? (And yes! Finally someone's moving from Toronto to Vancouver--lately the opposite has been happening with all my friends!)

Do you know where exactly you would be moving? I would say the most Muslims are in Surrey...? Actually, you'll find Muslims in most places around Vancouver (and its suburbs-- Richmond, Surrey, Coquitlam, Burnaby) and everything's not too far apart so if you have a car-- its easy as pie commuting from one place to another... and our public transportation system has gotten pretty great too.
and Don't worry! We have tons of Muslims, a lot of Masjids, and quite a few Halal restaurants all over. We're starting to have some awesome Muslim events these past couple of years... and of course there's always the aspiration to be better and keep growing. We're probably not as established in comparison to such a huge and diverse city as Toronto... but we try our best. :)

Vancouver's a great place to raise a family. I really hope you and your family like it here. If you have any questions or if you need any help with moving-- Don't be shy--- let us know! I think there is a way we can message each other through the forum?? or something? If not, just let me know and I shall figure out a way to exchange contact info. :)

We're kind of new to this AlMaghrib thing here in Vancouver and we're trying our best to start it up here and keep it going. Make dua for us, please. And we totally value your input since I'm sure you have a lot of Almaghrib experience coming from Toronto. :)

and if you have any more specific questions about living in Vancouver , or what exactly you want to know(I'm sure you do!)... ask away! :D
Take care!

Amnaaa
10-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Wa alaikum salam!

Vancouver is a great place Alhamdulillah. From what I've heard, the Muslim population in Toronto is unbeatable, so without comparing the two, I'd say that Vancouver has plenty of Muslims. Depending on where you live in the Greater Vancouver area, events are fairly easily accessible. There's a few well-established organizations here that organize Muslim events, such as Ajyal (who are actively involved when it comes to fundraisers, Muslim Youth Conferences, Eidfests, kids Summer Camps and other community events) and the MSA of the universities over here (which host barbeques, lectures, fundraisers as well, iftars, Eid parties, etc.) to mention a couple. As for the masjids in the area, there's plenty! Here's a link to a list of all of the masjids/mussallas in the Greater Vancouver area:
http://www.bcmuslims.com/location/masjids.do?sortBy=address.city&ascDesc=asc&page=1&typeLookupKey=&communityTypeLookupKey=&city=
There's around 40 listings I believe. Halal restaurants are also abundant, especially in the Surrey area. If you like spicy Chinese food with an Indian twist, a place I would highly recommend to try out is Green Lettuce.
Hope that helps!
-Amna =)