PDA

View Full Version : Ash-Shifa of Qadi Iyad

Sam Ahmad AlFarsi
05-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

If you could answer this Shaykh Yasir, I would be very grateful. In our MSA's library, we have 2 seerah books, ArRaheeq ulMakhtum and AshShifa of Qadi Iyad. I started reading Ash-Shifa and found the title of the book translated as "The Healing by the Recognition of the Rights of the Chosen One." I know we learned about tabarruk (seeking blessings, I believe) in class, and from the title of this book, I am guessing that it is common in some parts of the Muslim world for people to seek healing (from Allah subhana wa ta'ala) by recognizing the rights of the Prophet (SAWS).

My question is: Is seeking healing (from Allah subhana wa ta'ala) by recognizing the rights of the Prophet, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, a form of tabarruk? If so, is it a proper or improper form of tabarruk? If it is not tabarruk, what exactly is it?

Finally, I want to comment that many brothers have recommended this book to me as "one of the best" books of seerah of Rasulullah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam. Is this book indeed a reliable seerah book?

Jazakumullahu khayran

Wassalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,
Sam

Danish Hasan
05-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Im sorry, i know you asked Abu Amamr this question, im not goign to answer it but I wanted to just say that what turned me off from this book in the first place is that if you look at the back of the book and read what it says...it already started sounding shady ....Allahu Alim

......Generally known by its short title, Ash-Shifa, this work was so highly admired throughout the Muslim world that it soon acquired a sanctity of its own for it is said: "If Ash-Shifa is found in a house, this house will not suffer any harm...when a sick person reads it or it is recited to him, Allah s.w.t., will restore his health."

abubakr
05-24-2005, 06:18 AM
i have also heard from some barelvis that qadi iyad mentioned in his shifa that nabi saw is noor. i wanted to ask brothers who have read this wther this is true??

jazakallah

abubakr
05-24-2005, 06:31 AM
When Allah created Adam, He made me descend to the earth in his loins. He put me in the loins of Nuh in the Ark and cast me into the fire in the loins of Ibrahim. Then he continued to move me from noble loins to pure wombs until He brought me out from my parents. None of them ever met in fornication.” (Ibn Abi `Umar al-`Adani relates in his ‘Musnad’, al-Tilimsani cites it, and Qadi `Iyad included it among his “sound and well-known traditions.”)

Qadi `Iyad says after quoting the last hadith: “This is what al-`Abbas ibn `Abd al-Muttalib was indicating when he said:
... Before you came to this world,
you were excellent in the shadows and in the repository (i.e. loins)
in the time when they (Adam and Eve) covered themselves with leaves.
Then you descended through the ages...
When you were born, the earth shone
and the horizon was illuminated by your light.
We travel in that illumination
and in the light and in the paths of right guidance.

“The statement which has been made regarding the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) not possessing a shadow in the brightness of the sun or in the moonlight, is due to the fact that he was light (nur).” (al-Shifa, p. 462, no. 1126)

IbnMohammad
05-24-2005, 06:04 PM
::bump::::

Abu Ammaar
05-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Salaam Alaikum

Of the methodologies of Ahl as-Sunnah is that we take the good from all peoples, regardless of their other mistakes, and at the same time correct, in the proper manner, any mistakes that others have fallen into. Just because a person has a mistake, bid'ah, or sin doesn't mean that we leave everything from him. The Prophet salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam told Abu hurayrah to take the advice of Shaytan himself (reciting Ayat al-Kursi at night), and said, "He has told you the truth, despite the fact that he is an incessive liar." So if we can even take the truth from Shaytan, surely everyone else deserves better?!

The book mentioned is indeed a grand and magnificient work, and is authored by a noble and learned scholar. Yes, it has some exagerations in it, and some Sufistic tendancies, but this does not mean that we should throw it away. Now, if a person feels that he/she does not have the knowledge to sift thru such mistakes, and instead relies on other works that do not have any aqadi errors, that is fine. However at the same time he should be careful of pronouncing verdicts on these books.

Regarding tabbaaruk (and the title of the work) for those who took the class we discussed this in detail. It is allowed (in fact mandatory) to do tabbarruk by following the sunnah of the Prophet, loving him, and defending his honor. Therefore the title of the book may be understood in this way.

And Allah knows best...

Yasir

Abu Ammaar
05-25-2005, 11:54 AM
When Allah created Adam, He made me descend to the earth in his loins. He put me in the loins of Nuh in the Ark and cast me into the fire in the loins of Ibrahim. Then he continued to move me from noble loins to pure wombs until He brought me out from my parents. None of them ever met in fornication.” (Ibn Abi `Umar al-`Adani relates in his ‘Musnad’, al-Tilimsani cites it, and Qadi `Iyad included it among his “sound and well-known traditions.”)

Qadi `Iyad says after quoting the last hadith: “This is what al-`Abbas ibn `Abd al-Muttalib was indicating when he said:
... Before you came to this world,
you were excellent in the shadows and in the repository (i.e. loins)
in the time when they (Adam and Eve) covered themselves with leaves.
Then you descended through the ages...
When you were born, the earth shone
and the horizon was illuminated by your light.
We travel in that illumination
and in the light and in the paths of right guidance.

“The statement which has been made regarding the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) not possessing a shadow in the brightness of the sun or in the moonlight, is due to the fact that he was light (nur).” (al-Shifa, p. 462, no. 1126)

Yes, the Quran itself calls the Prophet salla Allahu alayhi wa salam light (Nur), so he may be called such. However, the Nur referred to is the Nur of guidance (from whence our course is called the Light of Guidance :) signifying that aqeedah is what guides you to the Siraat). He himself was a human being, as the Quran clearly mentions, and the claim that his body did not cast any shadow does not have any basis for it.

Yasir

Sam Ahmad AlFarsi
05-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Jazakumullahu khayran Shaykh. I am looking forward to class on Sat. inshaAllah.

Wassalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh