PDA

View Full Version : Bowing

nightsofworship
06-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Bismillah hir rahman nir raheem

Assalaam 'alaykum

This question is especially for Sh. Yasir, but if anyone knows the correct answer, inshallaah, that's all I'd like to hear. :)

Well, most of the people already asked all the possible scenarios for bowing/standing up for other people, and the ruling is that it's not permissible, and at the same time it is not necessarily considered shirk (but that just depends on the situation/intention), correct?

With that said, here's another thing I realized that is common in culture... kissing hands. The act itself is just to kiss the hand of an elder (out of respect), but about 99.9% of the time, it also constitutes one bowing their head in order to do that. The intention isn't to bow the head out of respect, but rather to kiss the hand out of respect. Would you happen to know what the verdict is on that?

Jazaak Allaah khair

Assalaam 'alaykum

Danish Hasan
06-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Very interesting question.....

ChicagoAtif
06-21-2005, 05:06 PM
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=3489&dgn=4

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=20243&dgn=4

Abu Ammaar
06-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Salaam Alaikum

Jazak Allah for that excellent reference - esp the second response.

This shows that *intending* to bow is forbidden, but if one's intention is to kiss the hand then since the bowing is not intended but incidental it is overlooked.

And Allah knows best...
Yasir

Sr.Anam
06-21-2005, 08:10 PM
another question regarding bowing your head...in the class i think the Sh. Yasir had mentioned that its not right to bow your head even in respect towards your parents...what i have read and always heard is that you should always have your sholders lumped and your head should be lowered when your father speaks to you or when you speak to your father...so im confused?:(

Abu Ammaar
06-21-2005, 09:32 PM
another question regarding bowing your head...in the class i think the Sh. Yasir had mentioned that its not right to bow your head even in respect towards your parents...what i have read and always heard is that you should always have your sholders lumped and your head should be lowered when your father speaks to you or when you speak to your father...so im confused?:(
Salaam Alaikum

There is a difference between not looking up as a sign of respect vs bowing down as a sign of respect. The first is allowed, the second isn't.

Yasir