AlMaghrib Forums

AlMaghrib Forums (http://forums.almaghrib.org//index.php)
-   Rules of Engagement: Islamic Code of Ethics - ADB 101 (http://forums.almaghrib.org//forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Taqwa -- character (http://forums.almaghrib.org//showthread.php?t=22235)

07-29-2007 02:31 PM

Taqwa -- character

Are there any ayaat or hadeeth that teach how to ask Allah (swt) to increase us in taqwa?

07-30-2007 05:24 AM

Re: Taqwa -- character

In what sense? A lot of ad'yyah indirectly is asking for Allah to increase us in Taqwaa..
e.g Allahuma ya Muqallibal Quloob thabbit qalbi 'ala deenik.
"Oh my Lord, the changer of the hearts, establish or make firm my heart upon your deen."
- i.e. establishing the deen does not occur without increased taqwa.

Unless you want ayat that Allah 'azza wa jal orders us to have more taqwa..
You can go to [LINK REMOVED] type "taqwa" in the search, and get a lot.

There does occur however in the sunnah of the Prophet salAllahu 'alaihee wa sallam the asking of Taqwa. The Prophet salAllahu 'alaihee wa sallam told us that the slave is nearest to this Lord when in prostration so we should increase our ad'yyah at that time.

And there is a du'a that is mentioned in sahih Muslim explicitly mentioning Taqwa:

http://anwary-islam.com/life/pics/pray-prophet-4.gif
Allahuma innee as-alukal-huda wat-tuqaa wal-'afaafa wal-ghina.
"Oh my Lord, I ask you for Huda (guidance), and Taqwa (piety, God fearing, etc.), and 'Afaafa (safety, well being, purity, etc), and Ghina (contentment and sufficiency)."

WAllahu 'Alam

yasser_z 08-02-2007 03:51 PM

as salaamu alaikum
bro are you asking for dua's? I can only think of this ayat.. Allah tells us exactly how to learn taqwaa.

Al-Baqara 283: "O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint (taqwaa)."

(side note: I personally like to translate taqwaa as humility in front of Allah).

*Nusaybah* 12-22-2007 06:27 AM

As salaamu alaikum,

I could't find the source of the hadeeth below so if anyone knows it, would you please post it here, jazaak-Allah khair.

Umar ibn Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) once asked Ubbay ibn Ka’ab (may Allah be pleased with him), “What is the meaning of Tawqa?” Ubbay ibn Ka’ab said, “O Amir ul Mu’minin, have you walked on a field that had a lot of thorny plants?” Umar said, “Yes” Ubbay ibn Ka’ab said, “So what did you do?” Umar replied, “I lifted up my clothes and I was very careful,” Ubbay ibn Ka’ab said, “That is Taqwa.”

--> The thorns are the sins and the clothes is one's Eman.

Perfecting our salaat is definitely a great way to increase our taqwa, as Allah swt says ..

29:45 "Recite (O Muhammad SAW) what has been revealed to you of the Book (the Qur'ân), and perform As-Salât . Verily, As-Salât prevents from Al-Fahshâ' (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse, etc.) and Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed, etc.) and the remembering of Allâh is greater indeed. And Allâh knows what you do."

And Allah swt knows best.

Megan Wyatt 12-30-2007 07:46 PM

SubhanAllah.....amazing quotes. Thank you for finding those and sharing.

ammatu'rahman 01-02-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adil O. Barra
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

"None can reach the state of taqwa until he possesses neither actions nor words that can be exposed to his embarrassment, either in this world or the Hereafter."

He was also once asked: "When does the worshipper reach the peak of taqwa?"

He replied: "If he puts all of the thoughts and desires in his heart on a plate, and then wandered around in the market, he should not feel ashamed of anything there."

['Min Akhlaq as-Salaf'; p. 56]

SUBHAANALLAAH!!!!!! may ALLah Allow us all to get to that level. and please

who ever reads this please make du'a for me and all the muslims who are

weak in their eman or didn't get ot this level and pray that who ever reaches

to this level may allah increase them in taqwah and knowledge and may we

all make it to JANNAH with hisaab AMEEN

ps.. jazaakallahu khayra for stating such thread

Amatullah 01-02-2008 11:52 AM

There is a duaa from Saheeh Muslim,

اللهم آت نفسي تقواها وزكها أنت خير من زكاها أنت ‏ ‏وليها ‏ ‏ومولاها
Allahumma aati nafsee taqwaaha, wa zakkiha anta khayru man zakkaahaa, anta walliyuhaa wa maulaaha.
O Allah, grant my soul taqwa and purify it, You are the Best of those who purify it, You are its Protecting Friend and Guardian/Master.

---

(hadith in english and arabic:
حدثنا ‏ ‏أبو بكر بن أبي شيبة ‏ ‏وإسحق بن إبراهيم ‏ ‏ومحمد بن عبد الله بن نمير ‏ ‏واللفظ ‏ ‏لابن نمير ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏إسحق ‏ ‏أخبرنا ‏ ‏و قال ‏ ‏الآخران ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏أبو معاوية ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏عاصم ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏عبد الله بن الحارث ‏ ‏وعن ‏ ‏أبي عثمان النهدي ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏زيد بن أرقم ‏ ‏قال ‏

لا أقول لكم إلا كما كان رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏يقول كان يقول ‏ ‏اللهم إني أعوذ بك من ‏ ‏العجز ‏ ‏والكسل والجبن والبخل والهرم وعذاب القبر اللهم آت نفسي تقواها وزكها أنت خير من زكاها أنت ‏ ‏وليها ‏ ‏ومولاها اللهم إني أعوذ بك من علم لا ينفع ومن قلب لا يخشع ومن نفس ‏ ‏لا تشبع ‏ ‏ومن دعوة لا يستجاب لها ‏

Zaid bin Arqam reported: I am not going to say anything but only that which Allah's Messenger (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to say. He used to supplicate:" O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from incapacity, from sloth, from cowardice, from miserliness, decrepitude and from torment of the grave. O Allah, grant to my soul the sense of righteousness and purify it, for Thou art the Best Purifier thereof. Thou art the Protecting Friend thereof, and Guardian thereof. O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from the knowledge which does not benefit, from the heart that does not entertain the fear (of Allah), from the soul that does not feel contented and the supplication that is not responded." [Book Pertaining to the Remembrance of Allah, Supplication, Repentance and Seeking Forgiveness {Kitaab ad-dhikr wa duaa wa tawbah wal istighfaar}, Hadith 6568]