AlMaghrib Forums

AlMaghrib Forums (http://forums.almaghrib.org//index.php)
-   Seerah: The Shepherd's Path - HST 101 (http://forums.almaghrib.org//forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   al-Hijamah: cupping therapy (http://forums.almaghrib.org//showthread.php?t=30182)

Sabiha 11-21-2008 12:59 PM

al-Hijamah: cupping therapy

bismillah

assalaamu'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatahu,

not sure if this is the right place to ask this question...but i was wondering if there is anyone out here who has any knowledge of the cupping therapy. I heard that it is from one of the sunnah's of the prophet sallahu alayhi wasallam. was just curious to learn more about it!

jazaakumAllahu khayran!

bint_habibullah 11-22-2008 03:46 PM

Re: al-Hijamah: cupping therapy

I've always wondered how it's done, too. Anyone actually get it done? I saw a youtube video...with heating a glass cup, but I'm not sure.

Abdullaah 11-22-2008 06:11 PM

I HAD IT DONE ALHAMDULILA.........

ITS ON MY CV AS ONE OF MY ACHIEVEMENTS. http://forums.almaghrib.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

I ONLY DID IT BECAUSE ITS SUNNAH. IT DOESNT REALLY HURT - FEEL LIKE A PINCH WHEN THE VACUUM KIKS IN AND SUCKS THE BLOOD OUT.....SORRY FOR THE GORY DETAILS.

YOU NEED TO FIND SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND ALHAMDULILA WE HAD A SHEIKH IN TOWN WHO WAS WELL VERSED IN THIS THERAPY.

bint_habibullah 11-22-2008 06:58 PM

Alhumdulillah, blood doesn't bother me. I wanna be a doc one day - inshaAllah gotta get used to it.

So it really gets blood sucked out of your skin? (Sorry if anyone is grossed out, too. Perhaps this isn't the thread for the sqeamish. :D) I didn't notice that in the youtube video I was watching that had a shaikh do it on a Philipino brother...hmm...I should watch it again.

That's so cool though! :D MashaAllah, I'd be reallyyyyyyyy interested in seeing it done. 'Alternative' medicine rocks!

bint_habibullah

Abdullaah 11-23-2008 04:55 AM

lol this post definitely not for the squeamish.

We had it done on our back with the glass style cups. From what I can remember:

ØIts air tight glass container which 'attracts' or draws the blood to that area.

Øthen he takes the glass off and with a razor makes very minor incisions (incisions --- probably wrong word) lightly taps with a razor.

ØSecond time the air tight cup is placed on area it draws out the 'dirty' blood.

ØAmazingly it stops bleeding by itself once all the 'bad' blood is drained.

ØBecause it’s not on a vein its not 'fresh' blood.

Alternative medicine is amazing ----all I could remember thinking about was the Prophet pbuh had this done:

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Healing is to be found in three things: drinking honey, the knife of the cupper, and cauterization of fire.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/136).

With regard to the sites of cupping:

1 – al-Bukhaari (2156) narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was treated with cupping on his head when he was in ihraam, and for some kinds of pain.” It was also narrated by Muslim (1203) from the hadeeth of Ibn Buhaynah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was treated with cupping on the road to Makkah when he was in ihraam, in the middle of his head.

2 – Abu Dawood (3860), al-Tirmidhi (390) and Ibn Maajah (3483) narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was treated with cupping three times in the two veins at the side of the neck and the base of the neck. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Cupping in the veins at the side of the neck is beneficial for sicknesses of the head and its parts, such as the face, teeth, ears, eyes, nose and throat, if the cause is an excess of blood or corruption of the blood, or both. End quote from Zaad al-Ma’aad, 4/51.

3 – Abu Dawood (3863) narrated from Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was treated with cupping on his hip for a pain in that site. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

4 – al-Nasaa’i (2849) narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was treated with cupping when he was in ihraam, on the back of his foot, for a pain in that site. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i.

So these five sites are proven in the Sunnah: The head, the two veins at the side of the neck, the base of the neck, the hip and the back of the foot.

safa_709 11-23-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abdullaah
lol this post definitely not for the squeamish.

We had it done on our back with the glass style cups. From what I can remember:

ØIts air tight glass container which 'attracts' or draws the blood to that area.

Definitely needs to be done with someone who knows what they are doing b/c you may run a very serious risk of infection or other adverse side effects.

But brother, the glass container is heated is it not? or the region where hijamah will occur which increases the temp, causing the blood to 'surface'.

a few mins later.......
Oh, nevermind, I just read the wiki article and it said, "A vacuum is created by air heated by fire in a glass cup placed flush against the patient's skin. As the air cools in the cup, a vacuum forms that pulls up on the skin, stimulating the acupressure effect."

Btw, for anyone more interested search Fire Cupping (wikipedia) and you'll get all the details.

Allah's Slave 11-23-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bint_habibullah
I've always wondered how it's done, too. Anyone actually get it done? I saw a youtube video...with heating a glass cup, but I'm not sure.

I got the hijamah done, it felt really good. From what I remember they put fire in the cup and trapped it in and then they put the cup on whatever area you have pain. I did the hijamah on my back...I’ve witnessed people doing hijamah on the neck and the stomach. I really want to do it again but can’t find anyone that is qualified to do it my the area.

robin hudhud 11-24-2008 03:15 PM

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet said, "Healing is in three things: cupping, a gulp of honey or cauterization, (branding with fire) but I forbid my followers to use cauterization (branding with fire)." [Bukhari]

Last summer, I had it done on myself by someone trustworthy and well-trained, and I watched it being done on another brother. He had quite a bit of blood withdrawn. His blood was coagulated and dark, and gross-looking. The hijamah guy did not get much out of me, probably because I don't weigh that much, and I'm a bit younger than the other brother. (I tried to donate blood once in high school, and they couldn't get any out of me either.... what gives? : )

The process kind of stings, but alhamdulilah it's tolerable. Modern hijamah sets are more sanitary than the fire method. You apply a glass cup, and attach a hand pump to a small orifice in the cup. You apply vacuum by pumping air out manually. You take away the vacuum by taking out the pin in the orifice.

You really need to have someone who knows the sunnah of hijamah very well and is well-trained in hijamah.
In the sunnah, there are several regulations one must follow -- e.g. it can only be done during specific days and specific times of the month. Also, you CANNOT get some random person to do it for you. Preferably, it should be someone who is trained in medicine. My blood pressure dropped by a lot during the process, so it's important to know how to handle these things, if they come up.

Unfortunately, there are some Muslims who go around claiming to know hijamah when they really don't. I personally talked with another brother who claimed to be trained in it, and I later found out he was a fake. My understanding is that it's easy to find a qualified person overseas -- but here in the West it's very difficult. InshaAllah I'll write more if I remember anything else

Imtiaz 11-24-2008 10:47 PM

someone make sure this thread has a disclaimer:

DO NOT TRY AT HOME IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING :D

continue...

Hijamah reviver 02-12-2009 04:32 PM

Assalaamu 'alaykum,

It comes in hadith that Nabi (SAW) has encouraged certain times to perform Hijamah (cupping).

Anas ibn Maalik (RA) reported that the Rasulullah (SAW) said: “Whoever wants to perform cupping then let him look for 17th, 19th and 21st…” (Saheeh Sunan Ibn Majah, 3486)

These above-mentioned dates in fact coincide with the following forthcoming dates this week:

Thur 12th Feb 2009 - 17 Safar 1430
Sat 14th Feb 2009 - 19 Safar 1430
Mon 16th Feb 2009 - 21 Safar 1430

There is of course the chance that these dates may be out by one day, as is sometimes the case with the Islamic lunar calender. Nonetheless, this is an attempt to try and revive the sunnah of Hijamah on the directed dates.

Those interested in having Hijamah performed on the above dates please do contact me early as there will be a first come first serve basis. I will post reminders regarding such dates next month as well insha'allah. Outside these dates, there are days in any week (Mon, Tue and Thur) which are sunnah for cupping and if anyone would like cupping for a particular ailment, they can have that done outside the 17th, 19th and 21st of the Islamic month.

Please also note that the islamic day begins from Maghrib (sunset).

Jazaakallah khayr

Hijamah reviver 02-12-2009 04:40 PM

My details for anyone interested in having Hijamah (cupping) done:

I am a trained Medical Acupuncturist, proficient Hijamah (cupping) therapist and a fully GMC qualified doctor.

I practice mainly in the West Midlands, Luton and East London areas. If there are groups of brothers interested from other parts of the UK, I am available to travel out and perform the therapy. Discounted rates are offered for students and group sessions.

Please note the sunnah dates are 17th, 19th and 21st of every Islamic month dn the sunnah days are Mon, Tue and Thurs. Wednesday should be avoided. From Sahih Sunan Ibn Majaah (3486, 3488 and 3587)

“I did not pass by any group on the night of Al Isra (night ascension), except that they said to me, ‘Oh Muhammad (SAW), tell your Ummah to do Hijamah.” (Ibn Majah, 3477)

02-12-2009 10:47 PM

I had hijaamah done once on the back of my head (lower part) and on the top of my back (near the shoulder area) in Madinah.....

I was with a group of friends during an umrah trip, and we were looking for a legit hijaamah location. Usually, I'll try to save a few bucks and go risky on stuff, but hijaamah just isnt one of those things I'm willing to play that game with, lol.

We found a taxi and asked him to drive us to a hijaamah place in madinah, and he took us to some street joint, and we were all like 'no thanks.' After that we ended up finding a place that looked like a hospital and was pretty expensive- like 100 riyals or so (which for some reason made me comfortable) and we got hijaamah done.

I was super freaked out before it happened, but alhamdulillah it wasnt painful at all. It only took a few minutes as he suctioned my back and then put these little cuts in my back (could barely feel it) and then suctioned blood out. After it was done he applied a layer of honey and I was on my way.

After a day or two the scabs were completely gone.

So in sum: it's not as scary as it sounds, but go to a legit location (please!). Allahu Alam.

kulRabeezidne3ilmnnafa3 02-12-2009 10:57 PM

Sub7anAllah, one of the reasons for hijamah being done on these days is that the gravitational pull of the Earth and the tides is strongest during these days (ayam al beed) the days of the full moon/near full moon, so you will get more of the bad blood out or blood in general as the gravitional pull has an effect on the tides it also has an effect on the human body. Praise be to Allah SWT for revealing such revelation, as we have acquired but little knowledge as humans. Prophets by necessity teach that which the intellect cannot come to by mere reasoning. If only we were a people these days that said sama3na wa ata3na, and took the naql over the aql.

hidayat 02-13-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hijamah reviver

Please note the sunnah dates are 17th, 19th and 21st of every Islamic month dn the sunnah days are Mon, Tue and Thurs. Wednesday should be avoided. From Sahih Sunan Ibn Majaah (3486, 3488 and 3587)

“I did not pass by any group on the night of Al Isra (night ascension), except that they said to me, ‘Oh Muhammad (SAW), tell your Ummah to do Hijamah.” (Ibn Majah, 3477)

just wondering, do you have cousins in mile end?

jzk

Hijamah reviver 02-15-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulRabeezidne3ilmnnafa3
Sub7anAllah, one of the reasons for hijamah being done on these days is that the gravitational pull of the Earth and the tides is strongest during these days (ayam al beed) the days of the full moon/near full moon, so you will get more of the bad blood out or blood in general as the gravitional pull has an effect on the tides it also has an effect on the human body. Praise be to Allah SWT for revealing such revelation, as we have acquired but little knowledge as humans. Prophets by necessity teach that which the intellect cannot come to by mere reasoning. If only we were a people these days that said sama3na wa ata3na, and took the naql over the aql.

Just to add...

It has even been discovered that the crust of the North American continent heaves to 15 cm when the moon interposes its sky. The moon culminates in its effects when it is a full moon. It is hypothesized that up until this point, namely the first half of the lunar month, the blood residues and impurities which have precipitated along the walls of the deep and superficial veins begin to mobilize. During the latter half of the lunar month, blood pools to the calmest parts of the body where it settles in the area between the scapulae (shoulder blades). This theory explains scientifically the benefits of the prophylactic Hijamah performed and encouraged by the prophet (SAW) during this time period, as well as on this part of the body.

Nabi (SAW) adviced that “If anyone has himself cupped on the 17th, 19th and 21st it will be a remedy for every disease." (Sunan Abu Dawud, 3852)

Nabi (SAW) used to have himself cupped on the top of his head and between his shoulders, and he used to say: “If anyone pours out any of his blood, he will not suffer if he applies no medical treatment for anything.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, 3850)

Just to mention... outside the sunnah dates mentioned, any Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of any week throughout the month is also sunnah and carries the reward for emulating the prophet (SAW)
(taken from Sunan Abu Dawud, 3488). This fact is especially important for those wishing to undertake Hijama for a particular ailment or condition and they can not wait for the above mentioned dates.

If there is anyone interested in having hijamah done, please email me via this forum by clicking on my name (Hijamah reviver) on the left and selecting "view public profile".

Hijamah reviver 02-22-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hidayat
just wondering, do you have cousins in mile end?

jzk

I have cousins in your area (East London) and my in-laws live near there as well, so I tend to travel down quite regularly and also incorporate any requested hijamah sessions whilst I am there.

freedbyislam 02-22-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Bukhari: Volume 3, Book 36, Number 479:
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

When the Prophet was cupped, he paid the man who cupped him his wages. If it had been undesirable he would not have paid him.

Just in case anyone had any doubts. :) When I went for cupping in Madinah, alhamdolillah, I went with a group, too. I recommend going first -- not watching unless that kind of thing appeals to you, and do it for any reason but especially to revive the sunnah. And may Allah put shifa in it for you.

The only people in our group who did not do it were those who had waited and watched all the others before deciding. And the only people in our group who felt any discomfort were those who insisted on going to a hospital. But they reported that the personnel at the hospital did not seem like they had done many hijamah before. Whereas the majority of us had ours done in a small street lined with nothing but barbers and hijamah shops.

ahealth 02-15-2010 02:47 PM

Salams all

Please check out our hijama blog: ahealth for more information.

And if you can take part there with your knowledge (if you are a therapist) or experience (if you have been a patient) of the therapy that will be most appreciated.

JazakAllah

Shuaib