AlMaghrib Forums

AlMaghrib Forums (http://forums.almaghrib.org//index.php)
-   Precious Provisions: Fiqh of Food and Clothing - FQH 302 (http://forums.almaghrib.org//forumdisplay.php?f=297)
-   -   Women showing their feet (http://forums.almaghrib.org//showthread.php?t=35351)

AyanG 07-07-2009 10:54 AM

Women showing their feet

Okay it is the summer and its common to see everyone especially females wearing sandals, flip flops and in general shoes that expose the feet. Until recently, I didnt believe that women in Islam are not supposed to expose their feet....however, Im having trouble convincing others about this issue. I wanted to know if there was actual proof about this in the sunnah??

AkheeAB 07-07-2009 11:28 AM

Re: Women showing their feet

Ruling concerning women covering their feet in prayer

Praise be to Allaah.

The free woman who has attained the age of majority is obliged to cover her entire body during prayer, apart from her face and hands, because all of her is ‘awrah. If she prays and any part of her ‘awrah becomes uncovered, such as a shin or foot or all or part of her head, then her prayer is invalid, because the Prophet said:
"Allaah will not accept the prayer of a woman who has started to menstruate, except with a khimaar (covering)" (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maajah and al-Tirmidhi, with a saheeh isnaad)

Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah that she asked the Prophet about a woman who prayed wearing a dir’ (chemise or upper garment) and a khimaar (head cover), but no izaar (lower garment). He said: "The woman is ‘awrah."

As for the face, the Sunnah is to uncover it during prayer, so long as no non-mahram men are present. According to the majority of scholars, the feet must be covered; some scholars allow uncovering the feet but the majority say the opposite. Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she was asked about a woman who prayed in a khimaar and qamees (dress or gown). She said, "There is nothing wrong with it if the dir’ (chemise) covers her feet." In any case, it is better to cover the feet, to be on the safe side. As far as the hands are concerned, there is more leeway: there is nothing wrong with either covering them or uncovering them, although some scholars think that it is better to cover them. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, by Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, p. 57v

Abdul Razzaq 07-07-2009 11:38 AM

I think the schools may differ but the hadith about a handspan below should be good enough but we have the same issue with brothers and their pants

Rahma 07-07-2009 12:22 PM

Assalama 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

We covered this topic in Fiqh of Salaah, inshallah check out this thread, specifically post #2.

Wa'alaykuma Salam wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

Abdul Razzaq 07-07-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahma
Assalama 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

We covered this topic in Fiqh of Salaah, inshallah check out this thread, specifically post #2.

Wa'alaykuma Salam wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

doesn't really say the proof but jazakallah khair

Rahma 07-07-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abdul Razzaq
doesn't really say the proof but jazakallah khair

I think I should have clarified a bit more, I was referring to this specific post (highlighted area), but yeah as to the evidences a brother just posted some of the evidences on the other thread, I should have clarified it as well as to whether it was in salaah or just in general. May it be of some help to the sister who asked the question. But general evidence or no evidence its strange to be completely covered from head with hijaab/plus abayah and then to see some little feet sticking out or something, and Allah knows best. But I guess its just best to look into the evidences and take the strongest of the opinions. I really really hope this post is a benefit and reward packed, because I had to refresh like a bunch of times, and log in to post. Alhamdulilah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bintamina
Wa Alaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatu

We covered the issue of 'awrah in the Divine Link class. While Abu Haneefah differed on the need for women to cover their feet in salaah, it would seem all four of the Imaams felt that a woman should indeed cover her feet outside of the Salat.

Abu Haneefa:

The most preferable opinion in the Madhab is that women are not obligated to cover their feet for Salat because they are treated like hands, but they ought to do so outside Salat.

Maalik, Shaafi'ee and Ahmad:

Women should cover their feet in Salat and outside Salat.

Wallahu 'alam.

Wa Salamu Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatu

AyanG 07-08-2009 07:54 PM

^^^ Jazakallahu khayran sister Rahma I really do appreciate your effort and your reward is with Allah inshAllah,

As you mentioned that it seems weird to see a girl all covered and her feet showing, but what's weirder is that I also noticed alot of niqabi sisters who expose their feet....at that point I was thinking it was wrong to do so but I just didnt want to say something without proof. But yea I mean is it really a big deal and a source of sin if sisters wear flipflops/sandals??

The counterpoint that I usually get is "who will look at my feet anways" or a better one is "how is that that I have to cover my feet but I can show my face? Isnt the face the place of attraction...and if so then basically covering of the face should be obligatory if I have to cover my feet!"

-- the second point does make alot of sense when one sister mentioned that to me...and I didnt really know how to answer that except that I said it was the two choices the Prophet gave us and if you do think Niqab should be obligatory then you should wear it.

Any other ideas??!!