Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Code of Scholars: Usool al-Fiqh - USL 201

Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #31
Atif
Qabeelat Wasat

Re: English-only Madhab followers...where do you get your fiqh from?

For Maliki Fiqh, Sh. Suhaib Webb has started a Maliki Fiqh series on his website.

For Shaf'i Fiqh, I've been reading Reliance of the Traveler, and I say it's pretty decent if you stick with the translated book itself ('uddat as-salik, not the introductory chapters and appendices). I still wouldn't recommend it to people who haven't taken LOG, LUL, and/or Code of Evolution.
So it's not all bad, in fact, one of the introductory chapters is a nice mini-review of Code of Scholars.
Atif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #32
Yusuf513Khan
Banu Hayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bintamina
Shaykh Al Albaanee also reviewed the ahadeeth in Fiqh As-Sunnah - it'd be beneficial to read this along with the book.

Na'am. It can be found in English online (not sure if it's the whole thing or not). I've attached a word document of it in English if anybody wants it (it's a copy/paste from the site that has it).
Attached Files
File Type: doc Tamaam ul-Minnah Fit-Ta'liq aala Fiqh us-Sunnah.doc (62.0 KB, 103 views)

“Once, when I saw the Prophet in a good mood, I said to him: “O Messenger of Allah! Supplicate to Allah for me!”

So, he said: “O Allah! Forgive ‘A’ishah her past and future sins, what she has hidden, as well as what she has made apparent.”

So, I began smiling, to the point that my head fell into the lap of the Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam out of joy.

The Messenger of Allah said to me: “Does my supplication make you happy?”

I replied: “And how can your supplication not make me happy?”

He then said: “By Allah, it is the supplication that I make for my Ummah in every prayer.”
[Reported in 'Sahih Mawarid adh-Dhaman' (1875), and it is in 'as-Silsilah as-Sahihah' (2254)]

Last edited by Yusuf513Khan; 05-10-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Yusuf513Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #33
layman
Qabeelat Durbah

Assalam alaykum,

Following a mathab on your own is difficult, and if your doing it in english...fo get bout it. The more you learn the more you realize there are so many answers to the same question. Shaykh Muhammad Shareef said in his Usool al fiqh class: that it is the shuyokh who follow a mathab, not the laymen. The layman needs a shaykh for guidance in fiqh issues because many issues have 3 or 4 or more opinions. So how can a layperson determine which answer is the best or strongest?

The books you do read should be a way of expanding your knowledge base, but not as a final say in your opinion for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif
What's your proof that they said this? Do you have a question number or the title of an answer we can look up?
Not to go off topic, but here's your answer 3752. Start a new thread if you wish, but I would imagine there already is one on this thread. Also info about this was mentioned at ilm summit. So go find a student who has some good notes on the Aqeedah class from the summit.
Abu Said al Khudri narrates that the Messenger of Allah was asked, “Who is the best of people?” He said, “A believer who is making jihad with his life and his wealth in the cause of Allah” (Bukhari and Muslim)

Ibn Umar narrated: The Messenger of Allah said: “Shouldn’t I tell you about a night that is better than the night of al Qadr (the Night of Power)? A guard who is guarding in a land of fear (danger) not knowing whether he would return to his family or not” Al Mussanaf – al Sunnan al Kubra by al Bayhaqi – al Hakim (authentic and agreed by al Thahabi))
layman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #34
Yusuf513Khan
Banu Hayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by layman
Shaykh Muhammad Shareef said in his Usool al fiqh class: that it is the shuyokh who follow a mathab, not the laymen. The layman needs a shaykh for guidance in fiqh issues because many issues have 3 or 4 or more opinions. So how can a layperson determine which answer is the best or strongest?

The books you do read should be a way of expanding your knowledge base, but not as a final say in your opinion for the most part.
jazakAllahukhair. I completely agree with you. There is a VERY thorough and good read on this very subject (as well as making careless fatawa from the lips of someone like myself) that can be found in this thread (and on the net).

“Once, when I saw the Prophet in a good mood, I said to him: “O Messenger of Allah! Supplicate to Allah for me!”

So, he said: “O Allah! Forgive ‘A’ishah her past and future sins, what she has hidden, as well as what she has made apparent.”

So, I began smiling, to the point that my head fell into the lap of the Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam out of joy.

The Messenger of Allah said to me: “Does my supplication make you happy?”

I replied: “And how can your supplication not make me happy?”

He then said: “By Allah, it is the supplication that I make for my Ummah in every prayer.”
[Reported in 'Sahih Mawarid adh-Dhaman' (1875), and it is in 'as-Silsilah as-Sahihah' (2254)]
Yusuf513Khan is offline   Reply With Quote