Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > The Code Evolved: Evolution of Fiqh - USL 101 > Answered Questions

Old 09-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
Abu Zainab
Ummat Muhammad

Exclamation Seeking the truth VS seeking Fatwas

as salaamu alaykum wr wbr

in reference to our ongoing class in memphis, we discussed that it would be wrong to go from sheikh to sheikh till you find the " RIGHT SHEIKH " because he complies to ur hearts desire ... how do i differentiate this from asking a number of shuyookh to seek the most authentic ruling in a fiqhi matter ?

jazahkallahu khayrun
Abu Zainab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
Yaser Birjas

Re: Seeking the truth VS seeking Fatwas

How would you know who is giving the 'most authentic ruling in a fiqhi matter'?

Masha'Allah, if you can recognize that then you don't need to ask anybody.

If you trust a sheikh then just go by his fatwa, if you don't know then ask somebody to guide you to a sheikh.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
umm zainab
Ummat Muhammad

should we take a ruling from a sheikh without daleel ... should we be seeking daleel ?? .... wouldnt it be blind following otherwise ?
umm zainab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Rooh
Ummat Muhammad

Sheikh Birjas: Arent we supposed to go by the ruling that has the most strong daleel? If as laymen we do not have that capacity, who do we ask for that ruling? And how do we practise all the sunnahs of Rasululullah of one action when we are supposed to choose only the most strong way of doing that action?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatUllahi wa barakatuh,

Baarak Allahu Feekum Shaykh Yaser, May Allah preserve you and your family. Ameen.
I hope that that takes care of the brother's question.

I am shy to post after you have replied, but his question reminded me of something.
If you don't mind, I will share it below:

I remember when I took sacred scrolls, one of the most amazing points that I benefitted from was when we talked about these ahadeeth:

'the Golden Compass' as it was called in our notebooks...

Al-Nawwas bin Sam'an, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:

"Righteousness is good character, and sin is that which wavers in your heart and which you do not want people to know about."
[Muslim]

According to Wabisah bin Ma'bad, radiyallahu 'anhu, who said:

I came to the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, and he said: "You have come to ask about righteousness ?" " Yes," I answered. He said: "Consult your heart. Righteousness is that about which the soul feels tranquil and the heart feels tranquil, and sin is what creates restlessness in the soul and moves to and fro in the breast, even though people give you their opinion (in your favour) and continue to do so."
[A good hadith transmitted from the Musnads of the two Imams, Ahmad bin Hanbal and Al-Darimi]

About this last part of the hadeeth:
"even though people give you their opinion (in your favour) (aftaaka) and continue to do so (wa aftawka)," Shaykh Yasir hafidhahUllah said, "This means give fatwa and keep giving fataawa."

He said, "this hadeeth applies to the grey areas of Islam and not to the clear cuts issues. An individual might think something is wrong (i.e. wiping over the socks), but the hadeeth does NOT apply because it is not meant to solve your ignorance.
The hadeeth is to be applied in grey areas where there are conflicting fatwas and if you take on position then your heart irritates you.

For example, the issue of meat (eating the average meat in the supermarket/non-dhabiha meat). Some may follow the fatwa that it's permissible, and if you feel nothing in your conscience about eating that meat, then there is no sin because you have followed Ulema who have given that fatwa. If you feel something wrong about the matter then this hadeeth applies to you.

Another example: Music.
Shaykh Yasir firmly believes musical instruments are haraam. 100-200 years ago, if you were to ask any Aalim, that Aalim would only know music to be haraam. Do you feel proud listening to music, would you not feel embarrassed? Would you want to listen to music the entire night of the 27th of Ramadan? Will it bring you closer to Allah? The average person realizes this is not something that he wants to do. The conscience is telling you that something does not add up.
This hadeeth applies to grey areas.

If you follow a reputable scholar with ilm and fear of Allah and your conscience is clear, then you are forgiven insha'Allah. In the grey areas, choose the Aalim who you think fears Allah and know the material of the subject and is qualified to give that fatwa. Once you have asked, then you have done your part. Ask the people of knowledge and follow what they say."

I am not sure how relevant this feels to you in your situation, but I thought it might be of as much benefit to you as it has been for me.

Wa Allahu A'lam.

(If I have made any mistakes, please correct me.)
Jazakum Allahu khairan.

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Last edited by Sr.Sara; 08-25-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Abdur Rahman Mirza
Qabeelat Tayybah

Wa-alaikum Assalam,

Sr. Sara, that was very well said from the notes. JazakAllahu Khairan and especially the part about music.

Wallahi, even though i have trouble with some grey area issue, that hadeeth of the prophet always makes me realize what is right and what is wrong.
...Let That Be Tha Reason..

Tayybah

AKHLAAQ TESTIFIES TO AQEEDAH

Abdur Rahman Mirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Abd- Allah
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
should we take a ruling from a sheikh without daleel ... should we be seeking daleel ?? .... wouldnt it be blind following otherwise ?
Quote:
Arent we supposed to go by the ruling that has the most strong daleel? If as laymen we do not have that capacity, who do we ask for that ruling?
Assalam Alaikum

The people fall into 3 categories/types when it comes to this matter.

If a person has little or no Islamic knowledge, then he finds a credible scholar whom he asks for rulings and fatwas and he follows what that scholar says. Taqleed in that case would be permissible for that person because he lacks the knowledge or capability to look into the proof himself.

A person who has a sufficient amount of knowledge and is able to look into the proof that the different scholars provide as support for their opinions, then it is not permissible for him to do Taqleed, and he must try and identify the strongest opinion and follow it. Most students of knowledge and many shuyookh fall into this category.

The third category is that of the very knowledgeable scholars who are able to do ijtihaad and derive rulings by looking at the different texts.

Some people might fall into different categories when it comes to different areas of knowledge, for example a student of knowledge might have sufficient knowledge in fiqh and its principles and is able to look into the different proofs and identify the strongest opinion and follow it, but that same student might know little about the science of hadith so he has to do Taqleed of a credible scholar and take his classifications on the different narrations because he isn't able to look into the different chains of narration and doesn't have enough knowledge about hadith and its principles to determine the authenticity of the narrations on his own.

What Sheikh Yaser was talking about is the average Muslim who is not able to look into the proofs and identify the strongest opinion and so he just follows a credible scholar. Many Muslims fall under that first category.
Abd- Allah is offline   Reply With Quote