Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Precious Provisions: Fiqh of Food and Clothing - FQH 302

Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
BrotherinIslam3000
Ummat Muhammad

Lightbulb Women's clothing limitation infront of other women (Need Advise)

Dear brothers and sisters Asalamu Alikum Warahmatullah.

I have been noticing this for quite some time now. It has to do with the growing trend that is very common within the western world. This applies to both men and women. It is very common to see man with shirts off in-front of their fellow brothers and exposing their awrah. This seems to be true with the sisters as well. what is the awrah of a women infront of other women? I am having issues sisters who go to women only gathering and feel they are allowed to expose whatever. They tend have lot of their body exposed for other Muslim women to see. Such as their entire back/stomach much of their legs etc. Some even wear outfits that reveal some of their bosoms.

I think itís not their fault because this topic is not well discussed. These same sisters go to these gatherings and take pictures etc and well it does put them in compromising situations. Can anyone recommend any books/lectures/articles etc that I can use to advise sisters to not expose their awrah with other women? Can anyone also suggest any books on etiquette of dressing for women which has information on how they should dress in front of other women and their mahrams.

There is also the desire from women I know to want to go to places to wax their body, get acupuncture, massage and all kinds of these spa related thing that have women parade around in nakedness. The excuse from them is could be that when they get acupuncture treatments it is for health issues they are currently facing etc. Even than we do not seek cure for something through haram means (I think there is a hadith on this but I canít locate it). Does anyone also know the awrah of what Muslim women can reveal to non-Muslim women?

This is the best I can find regarding this {MOD EDIT: Link removed} but I know I would need to advise in much more in depth and sensitive/understanding way to get this message across to these sisters.

I would great appreciate any advice someone can give so I can address this issue to sisters in my life in a well thought out way. I do not want to push them away where they end up doing these things anyway. So any brothers/sisters can recommend ways to approach this topic please let me know.

Jazakallah for reading and anyone with any advise I much highly appreciate!

Last edited by Bint TH; 01-06-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Outside links not permitted
BrotherinIslam3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
*SabrunJameel*
Qabeelat Ansar

Re: Women's clothing limitation infront of other women (Need Advise)

Wa alaikuma salaam wa rahmatullah,

I agree with you that it is definitely something we should take more heed in, however as a brother, discussing this with even the females within your family( unless it's your own wife) is hard and personally I would say not the best Idea. It is a sensitive issue, and more of something only a sister would be able to shed light unto another. Sisters get uncomfortable, upset... and much more when men advise them about things they will never be able to completely understand. Wallahu A'lam brother, but I would suggest you perhaps to get your wife to educate the other/ younger sisters in Islaam about this.

InshAllah I hope this helps somehow. Please forgive me if I didn't convey my message well
"Do not envy one another; do not inflate prices one to another; do not hate one another; do not turn away from one another; and do not undercut one another, but be you, O servants of Allah, brothers. A muslim is the brother of a muslim: he neither oppresses him nor does he fail him, he neither lies to him nor does he hold him in contempt. Piety is right here-and he pointed to his breast three times. It is evil enough for a man to hold his brother muslim in contempt. The whole of a muslim for another muslim is inviolable: his blood, his property, and his honor."

*SabrunJameel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
BrotherinIslam3000
Ummat Muhammad

Jazakallah sister for your input. I greatly appreciate it. The thing is I cannot use my wife to discuss this with family members because she is also included in this discussion. So I am in a tough situation where I mentioned this before but it really didn't get accepted or understood. So I wanted to approach this differently and in a much more safe/sensitive/understanding way. As a sister in Islam how would you like this topic to be discussed? or addressed?

Some of the responses I get back is that getting waxing I am not exposing the awrah. Which is not always true plus whats the ruling on non muslim women looking at a muslim women? Also about acupuncture the responses is its for health! However during the acupuncture sessions the womens body is bare (maybe with little covering). Even if it is women who are doing the procedure something isn't right here. I also have to deal with sisters in the family seeing male doctors and dentist. They say its for health reason but there is always alternative ways and a female doctor can see them. How do I let my wife know to stay away from these matters? Any advice you or any other sisters/brothers can give I greatly need it. Its really bothering me and I hope that its not an issue anymore.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
*SabrunJameel*
Qabeelat Ansar

Perhaps this might help :

Regarding awrah of men and women ;
{MOD EDIT: Links Removed}

Regarding the awrah of a sick person ;
{MOD EDIT: Links Removed}
"Do not envy one another; do not inflate prices one to another; do not hate one another; do not turn away from one another; and do not undercut one another, but be you, O servants of Allah, brothers. A muslim is the brother of a muslim: he neither oppresses him nor does he fail him, he neither lies to him nor does he hold him in contempt. Piety is right here-and he pointed to his breast three times. It is evil enough for a man to hold his brother muslim in contempt. The whole of a muslim for another muslim is inviolable: his blood, his property, and his honor."

Last edited by Bint TH; 01-06-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Outside links not permitted
*SabrunJameel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
BrotherinIslam3000
Ummat Muhammad

Sister Jazakallah again. I read all of this and it does contain a lot of good information. However for some sisters in my family, when explained in this particular way. They tend to look for loopholes. I was trying to go with a different approach, I do not know if any other brothers/sisters are facing similar situation. As a sister in Islam how would you like to be told about this. What kind of points would a brother bring about that will change your mind and accept the truth. Its hard sometimes but if we use Hiq'ma to explain things a lot of good comes out of it. And Allah knows best.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Ali 22
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Allah knows best bro, but what i would just like to say is that maybe you should explain to her as her husband, that you dont want her revealing her beauty to others when its only meant to be between you two. you can just tell her how you feel about the issue and that you love her too much to see her revealing such things to others.

buy her a rose or something she likes and sit her down alone with you, give a little cuddle and explain this to her in a soft voice. (WOW so girly, but its a nice way to deal with it instead of bundling up your emotions inside)
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
sister-heba
Qabeelat Nasr

I think the simple rule is to not describe the sister's appearance with her hijab or jilbab off, period. I might be wrong and forgive me, but that's what I've read in the Hadiths.

Hasibiyal laahu laa 'i-laaha 'il-laa hu-wa'a lay- hi ta-wak-kaltu wa huwa rabbul ar-shil a-zeem.
(Sufficient for me is Allah besides whom there is none worthy of worship. Upon Him do I rely. And He is the Great Master of the throne.)
sister-heba is offline   Reply With Quote