Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Institute Main Administration > Special Projects

Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
khanman1
Qabeelat Durbah

Need Help - Drug Addict

Asalamu Alaykum,

I am coming here to appeal for help from someone who has knowledge or experience on this issue.

A muslim brother from the community has fallen prey to the drug/alcohol phenomenon.

The reason why I am here is because the brother had alot of potential alhumdulillah. He was a regular attendee at our al-maghrib seminars, prayed 5 times a day, and was one ofthe brightest kids in school.

Somehow he got connected to bad people who got him hooked on drugs. Drugs that have strong effects (not just marijuana ... but more like crack, E-pills, etc...)

His family is desperate for help. Their lives are on a standstill, they do not know what to do. He sneaks out the house, steals their credit cards/money to pay for the drugs and is out of control. He is still young, about 20 years old so inshallah his mind is still ductile. I just do not know how to go about this.

DOes anyone have experience dealing with cases like this or know of people who were like this and changed with some help?

Jazakum Allahu Khayr

Wassalaamu Alaykum
Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Re: Need Help - Drug Addict

wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

subhanAllah.

I'm in the mental health field and a social work student, this is what I advise you to do:

First thing the brother and his family need to do is get professional help. He needs to be put in an addiction program or rehab inshaAllah asap. If he is involved with such heavy drugs then he needs this help immediately because it will only get worse. An addiction like this cannot be suppressed with islamic reminders. Many people think they can quit drugs on their own but this is really not likely, majority of the time it requires serious professional rehabilitation and therapy. Not to mention this is illegal and if he gets caught, his life will become even more difficult.

Secondly, a local Imam or someone of knowledge in your area, or even a respected family friend who knows the brother and his family need to start some counseling of some sort. Finding someone with a social work/counseling background would be ideal. He needs the support of his family and community in getting over this, as well as an islamic figure who can help him with the psychological side of the addiction and issues he's dealing with. The family has to sit down with this imam and basically give their son an intervention if he is not willing to enter a program.

Lastly, I don't know if he has yet, but the brother needs to stay away from those friends. If you are his friend, then keep an eye on him and help him out. The brothers really need to gather around him and support him. Many Muslims suffer silently in our communities and this is really terrible. The brother may 'act out' and be really distant, but believe me, having support from his friends and fellow Muslims will be a great benefit to him inshaAllah.

I know for a fact there are a lot of cases like this in our communities, but unfortunately it is not discussed very much.

I only replied because I have a bit of background knowledge regarding this, but please as his friend you need to seek proper professional help for him. Do a search on your state site for drug counselors - there are ones specifically for young people, because asking for advice here may not get you to any real help.

Allah knows best.

may Allah azza wa jal help him and his family. I know you already are, but make a lot of duaa for your brother, and others in his situation.
yet they do not gain benefit from it nor do they give benefit out to others.”

Imam Al-Awzaa'ee rahimahullah

Last edited by Amatullah; 04-10-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Amatullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Sirat
Qabeelat Nasr

^^Ameen!
Everyone shall taste death. And only on the Day of Resurrection shall you be paid your wages in full. And whoever is removed away from the Fire and admitted to Paradise, he indeed is successful. The life of this world is only the enjoyment of deception (a deceiving thing). (3:185)
Sirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
khanman1
Qabeelat Durbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah

I'm in the mental health field and a social work student, this is what I advise you to do:

First thing the brother and his family need to do is get professional help. He needs to be put in an addiction program or rehab inshaAllah asap.
Jazak ALLah Khayr for your reply.

How do I get someone who doesn't want to quit, who does not obey his parents due to his addiction for the drugs, steals money to voluntarily go to a rehab/terapy program and stick to it?

Is their any legal way to force him to it?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanman1
Jazak ALLah Khayr for your reply.

How do I get someone who doesn't want to quit, who does not obey his parents due to his addiction for the drugs, steals money to voluntarily go to a rehab/terapy program and stick to it?

Is their any legal way to force him to it?

wa iyyak,

Yes there are legal ways but you need to talk to the family first and make sure they are willing to do this. Google: 'division of addiction services nj', there is a whole list of programs that are available.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Also please seek the direct advice of other health care professionals in your area...I just wanted to give you an idea of what can be done but make sure you & his family speak to and get in touch with a professional and licensed worker inshaAllah.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
hebhooba
Qabeelat Tayybah

Salam,

In regards to seeking a counselor in your area, you might want to consider contacting a Muslim chaplain. Princeton University has a great Muslim chaplain you can get in touch with...chaplains are trained as counselors specifically in these kinds of issues along with being trained in various fields of Islamic studies. They also have practical experience in dealing with similar, if not the same exact situation. InshaAllah if you would like a list of Muslim chaplains in the area, I can recommend a few.
hebhooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
khanman1
Qabeelat Durbah

I am going to call that number I got from NJ Division of Addiction services. Found some useful information from that website. I guess seeking professional help is very crucial to deal with these kind of matters successfully. jazakallah khayr

and sister/brother hebhooba, can you please list Muslim Chaplains in the central jersey area. Princeton would also count in the central jersey area.

Jazak Allah Khayr
Old 04-12-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
hebhooba
Qabeelat Tayybah

Sohaib Sultan (Princeton NJ Muslim Chaplain): Via e-mail at ssultan@princeton.edu or by phone at 609.258.3042. His office is located in Murray-Dodge on the 2nd floor, Room 27.

David Fricke (Rutgers NJ Muslim Chaplain): Via e-mail at info@omcru.org or by phone at 732.718.2554

Khalid Latif (NYU Muslim Chaplain): Via e-mail at kl442@nyu.edu or by phone at 212.998.4712

Omer Bajwa (Yale CT Muslim Chaplain): Via e-mail at osb4@cornell.edu or by phone at 203.432.1128

Marwa Aly (Trinity/Wesleyan CT Muslim Chaplain): Via e-mail at maly@wesleyan.edu

Taha Abdul-Basser (Harvard MA Muslim Chaplain): Via e-mail at taha.abdulbasser@gmail.com

These are some of the chaplains I know of (I apologize, I'm not too familiar with the Jersey area, so there may be more)...but these are all within reasonable distances. Allahu 'Alim..just some options, perhaps you can start with some initial e-mail correspondence with whom ever you decide to contact

*Just a disclaimer, all the contact information (phone numbers, emails and locations) were found on a Google search, and so would be considered public information
hebhooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
Aisha_Teresa
Ummat Muhammad

Salaam Alaikum
I know it is a year since this post. Insha Allah the individual is recovering. I just went through this situation with my own son. Addiction unfortunately is not predjudice it can affect anyone. One major piece of advice, you cannot force an addict to quit, they need to want to do it. And they will relapse before they get on the straight path. Unless the addict is a minor or mentally unstable the only thing that can work is good old fashioned tough love and tons of dua. It breaks a Mothers heart to tell her child they are not allowed in the home if on drugs. Also there are legal issues with having drugs in the house that could harm the whole family. The best quote/advice i give other Mothers is the best thing you can give your child is to let them sleep in their car, on the back patio or on the street for a night as they then know you are serious about their addiction. (of course the Mom will cry all night and not sleep) but the attitude of the addict changes. My son, Alhamdulillah has been clean and sober for 4 months now.
Ma Salaam
Sr Aisha
O ye who believe! Celebrate the praises of Allah, and do this often (33:41)
Aisha_Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote