Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Code of Scholars: Usool al-Fiqh - USL 201

Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Safia Ze
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Re: Nurse/Midwife Uniforms

SubhanAllah,

JazakAllah kheir to all of you for having taken the time to reply, please find my comments to some parts of your post below

@Samira:
Sometimes i wish i had chosen a teaching career instead of nursing.
I really don't think everybody can be a teacher, I can teach kids on one to one basis, but a class of 30kids, there is no way I can handle them all, it is just that I don't have the skills for it..... I feel more comfortable in healthcare because I think I am caring alhamdoulilah,
Why have I chosen midwifery and not nursing? because of the contact of men, you have quasi no contact with men, apart from the doctors and fathers to be...and still you don't touch them. Also midwifery is you look after women which have a condition: pregnancy. hence they are not sick people. Also, it is less time than medicine.... (only 3 years study) and paid is better than nursing. And you can work independantly
When I started subhanAllah, the lecturer was explaining what a midwife should do and be..... and funny enough, it was exactly what a muslim women should do and be.....
You can study midwifery for 18 months after nursing..

@Ilhan Omar:
you are correct, the Department of Health have released a new set of guidelines for muslim women staff working in the NHS. They allow women to wear something under their tunique, or top part of the uniform when they are not dealing directly with the patients, however as soon as they deal with the patient, they have to roll up the sleeves for health and safety reasons... when I have tried my uniform I have asked for the tunique, they knew my situation as they had muslims girls before, and they were offering 3/4 sleeves tunique, however NHS stopped that...so we were kinda lost... I explained my cohort tutor that the department of Health changed the rules for us....she said, we'll look at it..... so it is in progress
In these guidelines it also allows me to wear disposable sleeves, however I don't think it is possible in reality as I will probably have to deal with many women at the same times and it will not be practical at all.. plus like you said, the trust won't pay for them...

I have called a sheikh quite known in the UK for his Shariah knowledge, and he has told me that I shall fear Allah swt and carry on the studies as it is better than my previous job in Chemistry inshaAllah ....

Allah swt ou A3lem.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Safia Ze
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Thumbs up Re: Nurse/Midwife Uniforms

Salam Ayleykoum wa Rahmatoullah wa Barakatou to you all,

It's been a year now I have started my midwifery course here in the UK and I thought writting a little update about the 'bear below the elbow" issue I had.....

Like I said in my previous post, I have spoken to a man of knowledge about the issue here in London who reassured me and advised me to go ahead with the career choice I made in order to be a help for the ummah inshaAllah.

I also had a look at the Department of Health guidance and there is a section (see below) which is in favour of the muslim women in the NHS:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/.../dh_114754.pdf

If we look at page 2: the target audience is: NHS Trust CEs, SHA CEs, Foundation Trust CEs, Directors of Nursing, NHS Trust Board Chairs, Special HA CEs, Directors of HR, Communications Leads, Directors of Estates and Facilities
The DoH felt updating the guidance of the uniform because of “A range of comments and feedback has been received from employers and staff as local policies have been implemented. This document takes account of the feedback and offers further advice on dealing with some of the cultural issues associated with workwear.” (page 5)
On the Appendix B (page 13), the DoH and Muslim Spiritual Care Provision in the NHS (MSCP) agreed on few solutions about the uniform“to ensure that local dress code policies are sensitive to the obligations of Muslims and other faith groups whilst maintaining equivalent standards of hygiene” such as:
· Uniforms may include provision for sleeves that can be full length when staffs are not engaged in direct patient care activity.
· Uniforms can have three-quarter length sleeves. Any full or three-quarter length sleeves must not be loose or dangling. They must be able to be rolled or pulled back and kept securely in place during hand-washing and direct patient care activity.
· Disposable over-sleeves, elasticated at the elbow and wrist, may be used but must be put on and discarded in exactly the same way as disposable gloves. Strict procedures for washing hands and wrists must still be observed (Page 13)

So for any sister who is challenged by "the bear below elbow" policy in the UK, you have evidence you can wear a full or three-quarter length sleeves

I have to say they were not impressed and wasn't keane to hear that....oh well.....

When I started my practice, I was following the rules of health and safety until I saw a midwife wearing a polo under her scrubs rolled up a little bit above her wrist... and I thought: oh, why not doing that???
So this is what I am doing at the moment alhamdoulilah, Allah swt made it easier ..... However, when I am in direct contact with the women , I do roll up my sleeves to the elbow because it is just NOT hygienic at all. I had many times blood on my arms while delivering my ladies despite my gloves.
I also often wear surgical gowns on the ward to cover the fact am wearing scrubs... which helps!!

So that's it really, I am really happy being a student midwife and cannot wait to qualify to inshaAllah focus my care on the oummah

I hope this will inspire more sister to choose this career path as we really need more female midwives..... it is (I believe) a shame to be replaced by male midwives who are more and more present in maternity services

if interested, feel free to ask me any questions wether they are related to the course, or pregnancy and postnatal care

JZK again all for your support and advise

Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
sshaikh
Qabeelat Mass

Asalaams sister safia, I kind of understand the situation your in, as when I was on placement I had to abide by the bare below the elbow policy too, and I found it really difficult, what would you recommend when working on the wards

JazakhaAllah
sshaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Safia Ze
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Salam ayleykoum wa Rahmatoullah wa Barakatou

Sorry for my late reply , I do not come often on the forum ....

there is nothing we can actually say and do about it as it is a policy that is implemented and has good rationale behind it when you study the question....
However I do not see any problems by covering your arms with a cardigan or a gown when you are not in direct contact with the patient.... you still have to wash your hands before and after being in contact with the patient/woman, so as long you follow the universal precautions, there shouldn't be any issue

To be honnest, the bare below the elbow policy application really depends on the trust you working in... some staff do not mind at all, but you will always find someone who will say something,
last time I was on the gynae ward...I have been told off because my shoes were brown (and not black) and because my trousers were black (and not blue) whereas a lot of nurses wear black trousers..... please....!! loool

so don't worry, try and back it up with the evidence above

hope that helps inshaAllah

let me know how goes your training