Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > The Code Evolved: Evolution of Fiqh - USL 101

Old 05-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
muslimballer123
Banu Wedad

Translations of Imam Malik's "Al-Muwatta"

Asalamu Alaikum,

I remember we talked about the Four Imams' works in class and I happened to come across a couple of websites with translations of Imam Malik's "Al-Muwatta." Here they are:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...unnah/muwatta/

http://bewley.virtualave.net/muwcont.html

Asalamu Alaikum
muslimballer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Jabir Ad Dakkani
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Translations of Imam Malik's "Al-Muwatta"

Does anyone know which of Imam Malik's student's Muwatta is the one on the usc-msa website???

I was reading a book and it said that only one version of the muwatta of malik remains

whihc one si it??
Jabir Ad Dakkani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:58 AM   #3
muslimballer123
Banu Wedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tggrluv
jazakallah for posting these two sites
my pleasure
asalamu alaikum
Old 05-21-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
muslimballer123
Banu Wedad

Asalamu Alaikum,
I found a company that is the selling the hard copy of the translation of Imam Malik's "Al-Muwatta." BTW, the translator is Aisha Abdurrahman Bewley. Here's the website:

http://www.hilalplaza.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=189

Asalamu Alaikum
Old 08-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
Daeef Jiddan
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabir Ad Dakkani
I was reading a book and it said that only one version of the muwatta of malik remains

whihc one si it??
I am not sure if this is correct. However, the most famous version of the Muatta is the one narrated by Imam Yahya ibn Yahya Masmudi. In the foreword to the translation by Ayesha Bewley, it is mentioned that if the name "Muatta" is uttered without any further qualification, the Muatta narrated by Imam Masmudi is meant.

Wassalam.
Daeef Jiddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
MSalah

As salaamu aleykum wa rahmatulaahi wa barakaatuh

Has anyone heard of a english translation of the Muwatta of Imam Maalik Ibn Anas (RahimuhulAllah) printed by Dar al-Fikr in Beirut, Lebanon?

I have not heard of this printing house before, if you know anything, let me know insha Allah.

Wa salaamu aleykum
M
Old 08-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
Yusuf

Wa 'Alaykum as-Salaam wa-Rahmatullahi wa-Barakatuhu,

There are at least two Dar al-Fikr Publishing companies out there. Dar El Fikr of Beirut, Lebanon and Dar al-Fikr in Damascus, Syria. Both of them mostly publish Arabic books, but over the past several years they have started to published books in English and French. Although they are making an effort to translate some very good Arabic books, I must say that the translations are pretty unappealing. I think this is mainly due to the fact that they are published in non-Western countries and so they are not as familiar with the English language nor what is appealing in the English book market.

Similar to Dar al-Manara from Egypt, which has published a translation of Fath al-Majeed bi-Sharh Kitaab at-Tawheed by Shaykh 'Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Hasan Aal ash-Shaykh or Umm al-Qurra from Egypt which published translations of Al-Fawaa'id of Ibn al-Qayyim and Jami' al-'Uloom wal-Hikam of Ibn Rajab. And so Al-Muwatta' published by Dar al-Fikr meets the same standard as all of these.

The best translation of Al-Muwatta' I have seen recently is from White Thread Press. It is a very beautifully published copy. You can read excerpts of it online here. It is the version of Al-Muwatta' on the narration of Imaam Muhammad ibn al-Hasan ash-Shaybani (rahimahullah).

And Allah knows best.

Last edited by Yusuf; 08-12-2005 at 07:07 PM.