Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Conquest: History of the Khulafaa - HST 201

Old 03-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
(S)/-\|F][ ullah

Post Anas bin Malik

Assalamu alaikum,

I am researching Anas bin Malik (RA) for my assignment, but unfortunately I don't have any of the books he mentioned in class. When I search biography of Anas bin Malik on the internet I always get the biography of Malik ibn Anas bin Malik.

Is anyone else researching Anas bin Malik (RA), and can they post some of his biographical information? More speceifically like when he came to Islam, when he was born, when he died, and his life after during the Khulufaa Raashidun.

Insha Allah I think I am just going to scan the Ahadith narrated by Anas bin Malik (RA) and see if I can get a glimpse of Anas bin Malik (RA) 's life with the Prophet (SAS).

Insha Allah I will post the results of my research. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
(S)/-\|F][ ullah

Research on Anas bin Malik

Ok, here is my research on Anas bin Malik (RA), my sources are Sahih Muslim, Sahih Bukhari and an Usool Al Fiqh book online

The below should give one a general understanding on the life of Anas bin Malik (RA) with the prophet (SAS) and a little bit after the death of Rasul (SAS).

Insha Allah this will be helpful to anyone who cares in the future

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...m/031.smt.html

Sahih Muslim
--------------
Chapter 19: THE MERITS OF UMM SULAIM, THE MOTHER OF ANAS B. MALIK, AND BILAL (ALLAH BE PLEASED WITH BOTH OF THEM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 031, Number 6010:
Anas reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) did not enter the house of any woman except that of his wives and that of Umm Sulaim. He used to visit her. It was said to him why it was so, whereupon he said: I feel great compassion for her. Her brother was killed while he was with me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 031, Number 6011:
Anas reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: I entered Paradise and heard the noise of steps. I said: Who is it? They said: She is Ghumaisa, daughter of Milhan, the mother of Anas b. Malik.

Book 031, Number 6012:
Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported: I was shown Paradise and I saw the wife of Abu Talha (i. e. Umm Sulaim) and I heard the noise of steps before me and, lo, it was that of Bilal.

Book 031, Number 6029:
Anas is reported to have said: Four persons collected the Qur'an during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and all of them were Ansar: Mu'adh b. Jabal, Ubayy b. Ka'b, Zaid b. Thabit, Abu Zaid. Qatada said: Anas, who was Abu Zaid? He said: He was one of my uncles.

Book 031, Number 6062:
Anas reportedAllah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) visited us and there was none else (in the house) but I, my mother and my mother's sister Umm Haram. My mother said to him: Allah's Messenger, here is a small servant of yours, invoke blessings of Allah upon him. And he invoked blessings for me (that I should be bestowed upon) every good and this was what he (said) at the end of what be supplicated for me: O Allah, make an increase in his wealth, and progeny, and cqnfer blessings (upon him) in (each one) of them.

Book 031, Number 6063:
Anas reported: My mother Umm Anas came to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). And she prepared my lower garment out of the half of her headdress and (with the other half) she covered my upper body and said: Allah's Messenger, here is my son Unais; I have brought him to you for serving you. Invoke blessings of Allah upon him. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: O Allah, make an increase in his wealth, and progeny. Anas said: By Allah, my fortune is huge and my children, and grand-children are now more than one hundred.

Book 031, Number 6064:
Anas b. Malik said: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) passed (by our house) that my mother Umm Sulaim listened to his voice and said: Allah's Messenger, let my father and mother be sacrificed for thee, here is Unais (and requested him to invoke blessings upon me). So Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) invoked three blessings upon me. I have seen (the results) of the two in this very world (in regard to wealth and progeny) and I hope to see (the result) of the third one in the Hereafter.

Book 031, Number 6065:
Anas reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) came to me as I was playing with playmates. He greeted and sent me on an errand and I made delay in going to my mother. When I came to her she said: What detained you? I said: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) sent me on an errand. She said: What was the purpose? I said: It is something secret. Therupon she said: Do not then divulge the secret of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to anyone. Anas said: By Allah, if I were to divulge it to anyone, then, O Thabit, I would have divulged it to you.

Book 031, Number 6066:
Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) told me something secretly. I informed none about that and Umm Sulaim asked me about it, but I did not tell her even.

Book 031, Number 6059:
Anas reported that Umm Sulaim said (to the Holy Prophet) Allah's Messenger, here is your servant Anas, invoke blessings of Allah upon him. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: O Allah, make an increase in his wealth, and progeny, and confer blessings upon him in everything Thou hast bestowed upon him.

Book 031, Number 6060:
Anas reported (that his mother) Umm Sulaim said (to the Holy Prophet) Allah's Messenger, here is your servant Anas. The rest of the hadith is the same.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/alal...lfiqh/ch3.html

The time of the Sahabah came to an end between 90-l00 AH, and was followed by the time of the Tabi'un whose scholars became responsible for Fiqh and giving Fatawa. The last of the Sahabah in Kufah died in 86 or 87 AH. The last one in Madinah, Sahl ibn Sa'd al Sa'idi, died in 91 AH. The last one in Basrah, Anas ibn Malik, died in 91 AH (some say 93 AH). The last one in Damascus, 'Abd Allah ibn Yusr, died in 88 AH. The last one of the Sahabah, 'Amir ibn Wathilah ibn 'Abd Allah (Abu Tufayl), died in 100 AH.

The school of Ahl al Ra'i, on the other hand, gained currency in Iraq. The scholars of this group thought that legal interpretations of the Shari'ah should have a basis in reason, should take into account the best interests of the people, and should be backed by discernable wisdom. Indeed, these scholars felt it their duty to uncover these meanings and the wisdom behind the laws, and to make the connection between them; so that if the reasons for any law were to lose relevance with the passing of time and the changing of circumstances, the law would no longer be valid. If they found the reasons behind the law, they would sometimes prefer to cite arguments based on an analytical treatment of those reasons. Thus, in many cases, reason would be accorded legalistic preference when such reasoning conflicted with the evidence of certain categories of Hadith.

The spread of this method in Iraq was helped by the numbers of Sahabah influenced by the methods of 'Umar. Among them were Ibn Mas'ud, Abu Musa al Ash'ari, 'Imran ibn Husayn, Anas ibn Malik, Ibn Abbas and others. The spread was also assisted by the transfer of the Khilafah to Iraq, and the settling there of 'Ali and his supporters.

Volume 1, Book 3, Number 108:
Narrated Anas:

The fact which stops me from narrating a great number of Hadiths to you is that the Prophet said: "Whoever tells a lie against me intentionally, then (surely) let him occupy his seat in Hell-fire."

Volume 1, Book 3, Number 81:
Narrated Anas:

I will narrate to you a Hadith and none other than I will tell you about after it. I heard Allah's Apostle saying: From among the portents of the Hour are (the following):

1. Religious knowledge will decrease (by the death of religious learned men).

2. Religious ignorance will prevail.

3. There will be prevalence of open illegal sexual intercourse.

4. Women will increase in number and men will decrease in number so much so that fifty women will be looked after by one man.

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 152:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Whenever Allah's Apostle went to answer the call of nature, I along with another boy used to accompany him with a tumbler full of water. (Hisham commented, "So that he might wash his private parts with it.)"

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 153:
Narrated Anas:

Whenever Allah's Apostle went to answer the call of nature, I along with another boy from us used to go behind him with a tumbler full of water.

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 200:
Narrated Anas:

The Prophet used to take a bath with one Saor up to five Mudds (1 Sa'= Mudds) of water and used to perform ablution with one Mudd of water.

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 199:
Narrated Thabit:

Anas said, "The Prophet asked for water and a tumbler with a broad base and no so deep, containing a small quantity of water, was brought to him whereby he put his fingers in it." Anas further said, ' noticed the water springing out from amongst his fingers." Anas added, ' estimated that the people who performed ablution with it numbered between seventy to eighty."

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 213:
Narrated 'Amr bin 'Amir:

Anas said, "The Prophet used to perform ablution for every prayer." I asked Anas, "What you used to do?' Anas replied, "We used to pray with the same ablution until we break it with Hadath."

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 216:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Whenever the Prophet went to answer the call of nature, I used to bring water with which he used to clean his private parts.

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 235:
Narrated Anas:

Prior to the construction of the mosque, the Prophet offered the prayers at sheep-folds.

Volume 1, Book 8, Number 367:
Narrated 'Abdul 'Aziz:

Anas said, 'When Allah's Apostle invaded Khaibar, we offered the Fajr prayer there yearly in the morning) when it was still dark. The Prophet rode and Abu Talha rode too and I was riding behind Abu Talha. The Prophet passed through the lane of Khaibar quickly and my knee was touching the thigh of the Prophet . He uncovered his thigh and I saw the whiteness of the thigh of the Prophet. When he entered the town, he said, 'Allahu Akbar! Khaibar is ruined. Whenever we approach near a (hostile) nation (to fight) then evil will be the morning of those who have been warned.' He repeated this thrice. The people came out for their jobs and some of them said, 'Muhammad (has come).' (Some of our companions added, "With his army.") We conquered Khaibar, took the captives, and the booty was collected. Dihya came and said, 'O Allah's Prophet! Give me a slave girl from the captives.' The Prophet said, 'Go and take any slave girl.' He took Safiya bint Huyai. A man came to the Prophet and said, 'O Allah's Apostles! You gave Safiya bint Huyai to Dihya and she is the chief mistress of the tribes of Quraiza and An-Nadir and she befits none but you.' So the Prophet said, 'Bring him along with her.' So Dihya came with her and when the Prophet saw her, he said to Dihya, 'Take any slave girl other than her from the captives.' Anas added: The Prophet then manumitted her and married her."

Thabit asked Anas, "O Abu Hamza! What did the Prophet pay her (as Mahr)?" He said, "Her self was her Mahr for he manumitted her and then married her." Anas added, "While on the way, Um Sulaim dressed her for marriage (ceremony) and at night she sent her as a bride to the Prophet . So the Prophet was a bridegroom and he said, 'Whoever has anything (food) should bring it.' He spread out a leather sheet (for the food) and some brought dates and others cooking butter. (I think he (Anas) mentioned As-SawTq). So they prepared a dish of Hais (a kind of meal). And that was Walrma (the marriage banquet) of Allah's Apostle ."

Volume 1, Book 8, Number 371:
Narrated Anas:

'Aisha had a Qiram (a thin marked woolen curtain) with which he had screened one side of her home. The Prophet said, "Take away this Qiram of yours, as its pictures are still displayed in front of me during my prayer (i.e. they divert my attention from the prayer)."

Volume 1, Book 8, Number 377:
Narrated Ishaq:

Anas bin Malik said, "My grand-mother Mulaika invited Allah's Apostle for a meal which she herself had prepared. He ate from it and said, 'Get up! I will lead you in the prayer.' " Anas added, "I took my Hasir, washed it with water as it had become dark because of long use and Allah's Apostle stood on it. The orphan (Damira or Ruh) and I aligned behind him and the old lady (Mulaika) stood behind us. Allah's Apostle led us in the prayer and offered two Rak'at and then left."

Volume 1, Book 8, Number 383:
Narrated Abu Maslama:

Said bin Yazid Al-Azdi: I asked Anas bin Malik whether the Prophet had ever, prayed with his shoes on. He replied "Yes."

Volume 1, Book 8, Number 420:
Narrated Anas:

When the Prophet arrived Medina he dismounted at 'Awali-i-Medina amongst a tribe called Banu 'Amr bin 'Auf. He stayed there For fourteen nights. Then he sent for Bani An-Najjar and they came armed with their swords. As if I am looking (just now) as the Prophet was sitting over his Rahila (Mount) with Abu Bakr riding behind him and all Banu An-Najjar around him till he dismounted at the courtyard of Abu Aiyub's house. The Prophet loved to pray wherever the time for the prayer was due even at sheep-folds. Later on he ordered that a mosque should be built and sent for some people of Banu-An-Najjar and said, "O Banu An-Najjar! Suggest to me the price of this (walled) piece of land of yours." They replied, "No! By Allah! We do not demand its price except from Allah." Anas added: There were graves of pagans in it and some of it was unleveled and there were some date-palm trees in it. The Prophet ordered that the graves of the pagans be dug out and the unleveled land be level led and the date-palm trees be cut down . (So all that was done). They aligned these cut date-palm trees towards the Qibla of the mosque (as a wall) and they also built two stone side-walls (of the mosque). His companions brought the stones while reciting some poetic verses. The Prophet was with them and he kept on saying, "There is no goodness except that of the Hereafter, O Allah! So please forgive the Ansars and the emigrants. "

Volume 1, Book 10, Number 507:
Narrated Ghailan:

Anas said, "I do not find (now-a-days) things as they were (practiced) at the time of the Prophet." Somebody said "The prayer (is as it was.)" Anas said, "Have you not done in the prayer what you have done?

Narrated Az-Zuhri that he visited Anas bin Malik at Damascus and found him weeping and asked him why he was weeping. He replied, "I do not know anything which I used to know during the life-time of Allah's Apostle except this prayer which is being lost (not offered as it should be)."

Volume 1, Book 11, Number 584:
Narrated Humaid:

Anas bin Malik said, "Whenever the Prophet went out with us to fight (in Allah's cause) against any nation, he never allowed us to attack till morning and he would wait and see: if he heard Adhan he would postpone the attack and if he did not hear Adhan he would attack them." Anas added, "We reached Khaibar at night and in the morning when he did not hear the Adhan for the prayer, he (the Prophet ) rode and I rode behind Abi Talha and my foot was touching that of the Prophet.

The inhabitants of Khaibar came out with their baskets and spades and when they saw the Prophet they shouted 'Muhammad! By Allah, Muhammad and his army.' When Allah's Apostle saw them, he said, "Allahu-Akbar! Allahu-Akbar! Khaibar is ruined. Whenever we approach a (hostile) nation (to fight), then evil will be the morning of those who have been warned."

Volume 1, Book 11, Number 648:
Narrated Az-Zuhn:

Anas bin Malik Al-Ansari, told me, "Abu Bakr used to lead the people in prayer during the fatal illness of the Prophet till it was Monday. When the people aligned (in rows) for the prayer the Prophet lifted the curtain of his house and started looking at us and was standing at that time. His face was (glittering) like a page of the Qur'an and he smiled cheerfully. We were about to be put to trial for the pleasure of seeing the Prophet, Abu Bakr retreated to join the row as he thought that the Prophet would lead the prayer. The Prophet beckoned us to complete the prayer and he let the curtain fall. On the same day he died."

Volume 4, Book 56, Number 778:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Abu Talha said to Um Sulaim, "I have noticed feebleness in the voice of Allah's Apostle which I think, is caused by hunger. Have you got any food?" She said, "Yes." She brought out some loaves of barley and took out a veil belonging to her, and wrapped the bread in part of it and put it under my arm and wrapped part of the veil round me and sent me to Allah's Apostle. I went carrying it and found Allah's Apostle in the Mosque sitting with some people. When I stood there, Allah's Apostle asked, "Has Abu Talha sent you?" I said, "Yes". He asked, "With some food? I said, "Yes" Allah's Apostle then said to the men around him, "Get up!" He set out (accompanied by them) and I went ahead of them till I reached Abu Talha and told him (of the Prophet's visit). Abu Talha said, "O Um Sulaim! Allah's Apostle is coming with the people and we have no food to feed them." She said, "Allah and His Apostle know better." So Abu Talha went out to receive Allah's Apostle. Allah's Apostle came along with Abu Talha. Allah's Apostle said, "O Um Sulaim! Bring whatever you have." She brought the bread which Allah's Apostle ordered to be broken into pieces. Um Sulaim poured on them some butter from an oilskin. Then Allah's Apostle recited what Allah wished him to recite, and then said, "Let ten persons come (to share the meal)." Ten persons were admitted, ate their fill and went out. Then he again said, "Let another ten do the same." They were admitted, ate their fill and went out. Then he again said, '"'Let another ten persons (do the same.)" They were admitted, ate their fill and went out. Then he said, "Let another ten persons come." In short, all of them ate their fill, and they were seventy or eighty men.

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 92m:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:

"Whenever the Prophet passed by (my mother Um-Sulaim) he used to enter her and greet her. Anas further said: Once the Prophet way a bridegroom during his marriage with Zainab, Um Sulaim said to me, "Let us give a gift to Allah's Apostle ." I said to her, "Do it." So she prepared Haisa (a sweet dish) made from dates, butter and dried yoghurt and she sent it with me to him. I took it to him and he said, "Put it down," and ordered me to call some men whom he named, and to invite whomever I would meet. I did what he ordered me to do, and when I returned, I found the house crowded with people and saw the Prophet keeping his hand over the Haisa and saying over it whatever Allah wished (him to say). Then he called the men in batches of ten to eat of it, and he said to them, "Mention the Name of Allah, and each man should eat of the dish the nearest to him." When all of them had finished their meals, some of them left and a few remained there talking, over which I felt unhappy. Then the Prophet went out towards the dwelling places (of his wives) and I too, went out after him and told him that those people had left. Then he returned and entered his dwelling place and let the curtains fall while I was in (his) dwelling place, and he was reciting the Verses:-- 'O you who believe! Enter not the Prophet's house until leave is given you for a meal, (and then) not (as early as) to what for its preparation. But when you are invited, enter, and when you have taken your meals, disperse without sitting for a talk. Verily such (behavior) annoys the Prophet; and he would be shy of (asking) you (to go), but Allah is not shy of (telling you) the Truth.' (33-53) Abu Uthman said: Anas said, "I served the Prophet for ten years."

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 95:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:

I was ten years old when Allah's Apostle arrived at Medina. My mother and aunts used to urge me to serve the Prophet regularly, and I served him for ten years. When the Prophet died I was twenty years old, and I knew about the order of Al-Hijab (veiling of ladies) more than any other person when it was revealed. It was revealed for the first time when Allah's Apostle had consummated his marriage with Zainab bint Jahsh. When the day dawned, the Prophet was a bridegroom and he invited the people to a banquet, so they came, ate, and then all left except a few who remained with the Prophet for a long time. The Prophet got up and went out, and I too went out with him so that those people might leave too. The Prophet proceeded and so did I, till he came to the threshold of 'Aisha's dwelling place. Then thinking that these people have left by then, he returned and so did I along with him till he entered upon Zainab and behold, they were still sitting and had not gone. So the Prophet again went away and I went away along with him. When we reached the threshold of 'Aisha's dwelling place, he thought that they had left, and so he returned and I too, returned along with him and found those people had left. Then the Prophet drew a curtain between me and him, and the Verses of Al-Hijab were revealed.

Volume 7, Book 65, Number 336:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Allah's Apostle said to Abu Talha, "Seek one of your boys to serve me." Abu Talha mounted me behind him (on his riding animal) and took me (to the Prophet ). So I used to serve Allah's Apostle whenever he dismounted (to stay somewhere). I used to hear him saying very often, "O Allah! I seek refuge with You from, having worries sadness, helplessness, laziness, miserliness, cowardice, from being heavily in debt and from being overpowered by other persons unjustly." I kept on serving till we -returned from the battle of Khaibar. The Prophet then brought Safiyya bint Huyai whom he had won from the war booty. I saw him folding up a gown or a garment for her to sit on behind him (on his she-camel). When he reached As-Sahba', he prepared Hais and placed it on a dining sheet. Then he sent me to invite men, who (came and) ate; and that was his and Safiyya's wedding banquet. Then the Prophet proceeded, and when he saw (noticed) the mountain of Uhud, he said, "This mountain loves us, and we love it." When we approached Medina, he said, "O Allah! I make the area between its two mountains a sanctuary as Abraham has made Mecca a sanctuary. O Allah! Bless their Mudd and Sa (special kinds of measure)."

Sahih Muslim
Book 019, Number 4375:
It has been narrated on the authority of Anas b. Malik who said: When the Muhajirs migrated from Mecca to Medina; they came (in a state that) they had not anything (i. e. money) in theirhands, while the Ansar possessed lands and date palms. They divided their properties with the Muhajirs. The Ansar divided and gave them on the condition that they would give half the fruit from the orchards every year, and the Muhajirs would recompense them by working with them and putting in labour. The mother of Anas b. Malik was called Umm Sulaim and she was also the mother of 'Abdullah b. Talha who was a brother of Anas from his mother's side. The mother of Anas had given the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) her date-palms. He bestowed them upon Umm Aiman, the slave-girl who had been freed by him and was the mother of Usama b. Zaid. When the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had finished the war with the people of Khaibar and returned to Medina, the Muhajirs returned to the Ansar all the gifts which they had given them out of the fruits. (Anas b. Malik said: ) The Messenger of. Allah (may peace be upon him) returned to my mother her date-palms and gave to Umm Aiman instead of them date-palms from his orchard. Ibn Shihab says that Umm Aiman was the mother of Usama b. Zaid who was the slave-girl of 'Abdullah b. 'Abd-ul-Muttalib and hailed from Abyssinia. When Amina gave birth to the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) after the death of his father, Umm Aiman used to nurse him until he grew up. He (later on) freed her and married her to Zaid b. Haritha. She died five months after the death of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him).

Book 019, Number 4437:
It has been narrated on the authority of Anas that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) raided Khaibar. One morning we offered prayers in the darkness of early dawn (near Khaibar). Then the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) mounted (his horse). Abu Talha mounted his and I mounted behind Abu Talha on the same horse. The Prophet of Allah (may peace be upon him) rode through the streets of Khaibar and (I rode so close to him) that my knee touched the thigh of the Prophet of Allah (may peace be upon him). The wrapper got aside from his thigh, and I could see its whiteness. When he entered the town, he said: God is Great. Khaibar shall face destruction. When we descend in the city-square of a people, it is a bad day for them who have been warned (and have not taken heed). He said these words thrice. The people of the town had just come out from (their houses) to go about their jobs. They said (in surprise): Muhammad has come. We captured Khaibar by force.

Book 019, Number 4454:
It has been narrated on the authority of Anas b. Malik who said that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) allowed Umm Sulaim and some other women of the Ansar to accompany him when he went to war; they would give water (to the soldiers) and would treat the wounded.

Book 019, Number 4455:
It has been narrated on the authority of Anas b. Malik who said: On the Day of Ubud some of the people, being defeated, left the Holy Prophet (may peace he upon him), but Abu Talha stood before him covering him with a shield. Abu Talha was a powerful archer who broke two or three bows that day. When a man would pass by carrying a quiver containing arrows, he would say: Spare them for Abu Talha. Whenever the Holy Prophet (way peace be upon him) raised his head to look at the people, Abd Talba would say: Prophet of Allah, may my father and my mother be thy ransom, do not raise your head lest you be struck by an arrow shot by the enemy. My neck is before your neck. The narrator said: I saw A'isha bint Abu Bakr and Umm Sulaim. Both of them had tucked up their garments, so I could me the anklets on their feet. They were carrying water-skins on their backs and would pour water into the mouths of the people. They would then go back (to the well), would fill them again and would return to pour water into the mouths of the soldiers. (On this day). Abu Talha's sword dropped down from his hands twice or thrice because of drowsiness.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
(S)/-\|F][ ullah

Question Questions about Anas bin Malik

I have some questions/requests about the following 2 Ahadith and about Anas bin Malik(RA) 's life in general:

-------------------
1)
Sahih Bukhari
Volume 8, Book 73, Number 150:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The Prophet used to mix with us to the extent that he would say to a younger brother of mine, 'O father of 'Umar! What did the Nughair (a kind of bird) do?"

2)
Sahih Muslim
Book 019, Number 4375:
It has been narrated on the authority of Anas b. Malik who said: When the Muhajirs migrated from Mecca to Medina; they came (in a state that) they had not anything (i. e. money) in theirhands, while the Ansar possessed lands and date palms. They divided their properties with the Muhajirs. The Ansar divided and gave them on the condition that they would give half the fruit from the orchards every year, and the Muhajirs would recompense them by working with them and putting in labour. The mother of Anas b. Malik was called Umm Sulaim and she was also the mother of 'Abdullah b. Talha who was a brother of Anas from his mother's side. The mother of Anas had given the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) her date-palms. He bestowed them upon Umm Aiman, the slave-girl who had been freed by him and was the mother of Usama b. Zaid. When the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had finished the war with the people of Khaibar and returned to Medina, the Muhajirs returned to the Ansar all the gifts which they had given them out of the fruits. (Anas b. Malik said: ) The Messenger of. Allah (may peace be upon him) returned to my mother her date-palms and gave to Umm Aiman instead of them date-palms from his orchard. Ibn Shihab says that Umm Aiman was the mother of Usama b. Zaid who was the slave-girl of 'Abdullah b. 'Abd-ul-Muttalib and hailed from Abyssinia. When Amina gave birth to the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) after the death of his father, Umm Aiman used to nurse him until he grew up. He (later on) freed her and married her to Zaid b. Haritha. She died five months after the death of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him).
---------------

What was the relationship between Anas bin Malik (RA) and Abu Talha (RA)?
Who was Anas bin Malik (RA)'s father? Was he Muslim?
In the second Hadith, it mentions Abdullah b. Talha, is this correct or should it be Abdullah bin Abi Talha?
Also, the younger brother of Anas bin Malik(RA) mentioned in Hadith (1), is he the same as the Abdullah, brother of Anas, mentioned in Hadith (2)?

Also one request, can somone write up Hadith (2) in Arabic, I know this Hadith was mentioned in the Usul Al Fiqh class and I really like, so I would really appreciate if someone wrote it in Arabic. I think I will post this request in another Forum too.

May Allah reward you for reading this thread.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:29 AM   #4
Umm Umaarah

Re: Anas bin Malik

As salamu alaikum wa rahmatullah,

I have something, though it's not much (especially compared to what the brother posted!). This is from Men Around the Messenger (which i got offline. Someone posted the link to that on this website, but I don't know where that thread is).
One of the Messengers that was talked about in the book was Al-Baraa' Ibn Maalik (Anas ibn Maalik's brother). Part of the section that speaks of Al-Baraa' tells a little about Anas also. Here it is:

AL-BARAA' IBN MAALIK

He was one of two brothers who lived for the cause of Allah and who pledged allegiance to the
Messenger of Allah (PBUH) and kept their pledge in the course of time.
The first brother was Anas Ibn Maalik, the servant of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH). His mother, Umm Sulaim, took him to the Messenger at the age of ten and said, "O Messenger of Allah, this is Anas, your lad! He will serve you; invoke Allah for him." The Messenger kissed him between his eyes and invoked a blessing upon him that led his long life towards good and blessing. He said, "O Allah, let him have plenty of money and sons. Bless him and let him enter Paradise." So, he lived for 99 years, and Allah bestowed upon him plenty of sons and grandsons and provided him with a spacious garden that gave fruits twice a year! The second of these brothers was Al-Baraa' Ibn Maalik, who led a great brave life […]

I hope this helps.
Wasalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
Old 03-19-2004, 07:36 PM   #5
Umm Sahabah

Re: Anas bin Malik

Anas ibn Maalik al-Khazrajee Al-Ansaaree

He is Anas ibn Malik ibn An-Nadr ibn Damdam ibn Zayd [ibn Haraam ibn Jund ibn ‘Aamir ibn Ghanm ibn ‘Adee ibn An-Najjaar ibn Tha’labah ibn ‘Amr ibn Al-Khazraj ibn Haarithah] Al-Ansari Al-Khazraji An-Najjaari [Al-Basree], the servant of the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam and his kunyah is Abu Hamzah, he was named after his uncle Anas ibn An-Nadr.

His mother is Umm Sulaym bint Milhaan Al-Ansaariyah, and he was 10 years old when the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam came to medinah and it is said he was 9 years old.

Narated Khalaf ibn Qaasim, narrated al-Hasan ibn Rushayq, narrated Ad-Duwaalabee, narrated Muhammad ibn Mansuur and Ibrahim ibn Sa’d Al-Jawharee who said: narrated Sufyaan from ‘Uyayna az-Zuhree from Anas who said: "When the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam came to medinah I was 10 years old and when he died I was 20 years old."

And Muhammad ibn ‘Abdullaah Al-Ansaare said: My father narrated from a slave of Anas ibn Maalik that he asked Anas: “did you witness badr?” he said “ you have no mother, how could I be absent from badr.”
MuHammad ibn ‘abdullaah said: “Anas ibn Maalik went with the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallam when he headed out for badr and he was a boy (ghulam) serving him.

Muhammad ibn ‘Umar Al-Waaqidee said: narrated ibn Abi dhi’ib from Ishaaq ibn Zayd who said: “I saw Anas ibn Maalik in mecca and he had a scar (brand) on his neck from Al-Hajjaaj who wanted to humiliate him.

And they differ about his death, some say 91 AH this is from Al-Waaqidee, some say 92 some say 93 this was said by Khaleef ibn Khayaat and others.
And Khaleefah said: "Anas ibn maalik died 93 AH and he was 103 years old” and it was said he was 120 years old.

Muhammad ibn Sa’d said: “I asked muhammad ibn ‘Abdullaah Al-Ansaaree: “How old was Anas ibn Maalik when he died?” and he said; “He was 107 years old.”
Abu Al-Yaqdhaan said: “When he died, Qatan ibn Mudrik Al-Kilaabee prayed on him.”
Al-Hasan ibn ‘Uthmaan said: “Anas ibn maalik died in his palace in a place called al-Attaff near Basrah in the year 91 AH and he was buried there."
And it was said when he died he was in his 90’s, 91, 93 and 95.

And the most authentic is what was said by the narration from ‘Abdullaah ibn Muhammad who said: narrated Ahmad ibn Sulaymaan who said: narrated ‘Abdullaah ibn Ahmad ibn Hanbal, who narrated my father said: narrated Mu’tamir ibn Sulaymaan from Humayd, verily Anas ibn Maalik lived 100 years less one (99 years).

Abu ‘Umar said: “It was said that he was the last to die in basrah from the companions of the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam, I don’t know of anyone who saw the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam who died after him except for Abu At-Tufayl ‘Aamir ibn Waa’ilah.

And it was said that Anas ibn maalik had around 100 descendants from his sons and grandsons before he died, because the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam made dua for him to Allaah to give him wealth and many children and to give barakah for him.
And Anas said: “I am from the Ansaar the one with most wealth and children” and it was said he had 80 children, 78 males and 2 females and the daughters were called HafSah and the second daughter her kunyah is Umm ‘amr

From al Isti’aab vol 1 pages 198-200

salaam:
whilst researching Anas ibn maalik I found mention of others from his tribe and found mention of many who had fought at badr and died shaheed from amongst his tribe banu 'adiyy ibn an najjar...
his aunt Umm Haraam was the first woman who died shaheed whilst on jihaad in cyprus...and his uncles Haraam and sulaym were both shaheed at bir ma'uunah...
It was mentioned in the first part how the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam made dua for him to have many children and we see how much a blessing that is when we read the last part of ibn hazm's commentary on him. masha allaah what a blessing for any muslim to have such a janazzah.

Those from bani ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar:

From them:
Sirmah ibn Abi Anas, and the name of Abi Anas is qays, ibn Sirmah ibn maalik ibn’addiyy ibn an najjaar, he became muslim and he was an old sheikh and he used to refuse to worship idols in jahileeyah.

And his uncle Anas ibn Sirmah was a poet.

And the sons of his uncle:
laHHaan muHriz ibn ‘amir ibn maalik ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar, badree (he was present at badr) and he died the day the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam went out to Uhud, and after the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallam prayed on him he sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallam went to war (fight).

And ‘aamir ibn Umayyah ibn zayd ibn al HasHaas ibn maalik ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibnan najjaar badree (present at badr) from the shuHaadah of Uhud.

And his son hishaam ibn ‘aamir baSree (resident of baSrah) and saHaabah and his grandson sa’d ibn hishaam ibn ‘aamir; muHaddith;
And Abu Hakeem’amr ibn tha’labah ibn wahb ibn ‘addiyy ibn maalik ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar badree (present at badr).

And Abu Khaarijah ‘amr ibn qays ibn maalik ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar, badree; and his son Abu saleeT Usayrah ibn ‘amr, badree .

and saleeT ibn qays ibn ‘amr ibn ‘a’eeq ibn maalik ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar badree and he was killed the day of qus an naTif and they say the day of the bridge (yawm jasr) with Abi ‘ubayd and this is the most correct.

And thaabit ibn Khansaa’ ibn ‘amr ibn maalik ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar killed the day of Uhud.

‘amr ibn tha’labah ibn wahb ibn ‘addiyy ibn maalik ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar Abu Hakeemah badree.

And Abi Al ‘awr ka’b ibn Al Haarith ibn Dhaalim ibn ‘abs ibn Haraam ibn jundab ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar. Badree.

And Abu zayd qays ibn as sakan ibn qays ibn za’uura’ ibnHaraam ibn jundab badree he was killed the day of the bridge and he is the one who collected all of the qur’aan in the time of the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam.

And sulaym, and Haraam and Umm sulaym and Umm Haraam banu milHaan (the children of milHaan) and milHaan his name is maalik ibn Khaalid ibn deenaar (his name is mentioned by ibn sa’d as zayd) ibn Haraam ibn jundab ibn ‘aamir ibn ghanm ibn ‘addiyy ibn an najjaar:

And sulaym he is badree and was killed the day of bir ma’uunah (day of the well).
And Umm sulaym she is the mother of Anas ibn maalik and the mother of 'abdullaah ibn Abi TalHah al AnSaaree.

And Umm Haraam she is the wife (Amra’tuh) of ‘ubaadah ibn aS Saamit and they are two great and honorable (jaleelataan) female companions of the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam..

And Anas ibn an naDr ibn DamDam ibn zayd ib Haraam ibn jandab he is one of the shaheed of Uhud and his sister is ar rubay’ bint an naDr.
And the children of his brother :
Anas ibn maalik ibn An naDr
and al baraa’ ibn maalik ibn an naDr
And ‘amr ibn maalik ibn an naDr.

Anas ibn maalik was a servant of the messenger of Allaah sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam and he has many descendants in baSrah:
Some of them are :
An naDr, and Abu bakr, and muusaa, and Khaalid, and alHaarith, and thumaanah, and ‘imraan, and zayd, and ‘ubaydullaah, and HafS, and ‘umar and ‘abdullaah banu Anas (children of Anas).

Hadeeth are narrated from them.

‘ubaydullaah ibn Abu bakr [ ibn Anas], and qaaDee (judge) muHammad ibn ‘abdullaah ibn muthannee ibn thumaanah ibn ‘ubaydullaah ibn Anas:

and HafS ibn ‘abdullaah ibn Anas;

and hishaam ibn zayd and from his children Abu ‘umayr ‘abd Al kabeer ibn muHammad ibn ‘abdullaah ibn HafS ibn hishaam the one just mentioned, a muHaddith of baSrahand he died in egypt (miSr) in the year 291AH.

And ma’bad ibn Khaalid ibn Anas

And AlHaarith ibnAnas and others than these and there are many of them..(katheer jadeed)…

And Anas ibn maalik didn’t die till he had 100 men from his sons who walked in front of him for his janazzah (from his sons and their sons).

And HafS ibn ‘amr ibn maalik he was the son of the brother of Anas ibn maalik and he narrated hadeeth from Anas ibn maalik.

From jamaaraat Ansaab al ‘arab
ibn Hazm al andaluusee 384-456 AH
Pages350-352.

Haraam ibn milHaan was killed shaheed the day of the well (bir ma’uunah) in the month of Safar 36 months after hijrah

Sulaym ibn milHaan was present at badr and Uhud and was killed shaheed the day of bir ma’uunah he has no descendants..

Their mother is mulaykah bint ‘addiyy ibn zayd manat ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘amr ibn maalik ibn an najjaar

Page 390-391 Tabaqaat of ibn sa’d vol 3

Umm sulaym bint milHaan she is ghumaysah and they say ar rumaysaa’ and they say her name is sahlah and they say rumaylah and they say her name is aneefah and they say rumaythah..

Islam by bayaah to the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam.

She was present at Hunayn and she was pregnant with ‘abdullaah ibn Abi TalHah, she was present before this on the day of UHUd…
Her mother is also mulaykah bint ‘addiyy

She was first married to maalik ibn an naDr ibn DamDam ibn zayd ibn Haraam ibn jundab, she then married Abu TalHah zayd ibn sahl ibn Al Aswad ibn Haraam ibn ‘amr ibn zayd manaat ibn ‘addiyy ibn ‘amr ibn maalik ibn an najjaar, she had 2 sons Umayr ibn Abi TalHah and ‘abdullaah ibn Abi TalHah
Pages 312-319 Tabaqaat ibn sa’d ( not completed yet)

Umm Haraam bint milHaan
Her mother is also mulaykah bint maalikIslaam by bayaah

Her first husband is ‘ubaydah ibn aS Saamit ibn qays ibn Asram ibn fihr ibn tha’labah ibn ghanm ibn ‘awf ibn ‘amr ibn ‘awf ibn an najjaar
And she had a son muHammad ibn ‘ubaadah

Her other husband is:
‘amr ibn qays ibn zayd ibn suwaad ibn maalik ibn ghanm ibn maalik ibn an najjaar and she had 2 sons ‘abdullaah ibn ‘amr and qays ibn ‘amrpage 320 vol 8 Tabaqaat ibn sa’d

Umm ‘abdullaah bint milHaan
MuHammad ibn ‘umar (waaqidi) said she is muslim and made bayaah to the prophet sallaallaahu alayhi wa sallaam