Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > Qabeelat Asad

Old 06-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Asma Q.
Qabeelat Asad

Fear and Hope = Love

Today we discussed the topic of fear and hope. This really made me think. My personal opinion is that love really is the basis of fear and hope.

Now think for a moment, think abt someone you really love…best example would be your mother, or anyone else. And if you’ve never loved someone I guess you can just think of whatever you’ve read or heard or known abt love.

Normally when you love someone, you’re always in fear that u might hurt that person, displease him. But at the same time you have hope that you’ll be able to keep them happy and will be able to get love in return from that person. You know that because the person loves u, they will forgive any mistake u do. Our mother for example, most of the time, has always forgiven our mistakes because of her love for us. Knowing that, why don’t we disrespect her and follow our own desire because we know in the end for sure she’ll forgive us? Because we don’t want her to be hurt, after all the love we got from her, we know that she deserves more than that. When we’re kids of course our fear of our mother’s anger is due to the punishment we get afterwards, but as we grow older and understand motherhood, the purpose of our fear changes. We fear to not being able to get love from her. We fear to hurt her, all because of the love we have for her.

Now Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala), of course, loves us so many times more than our mother. He is our Master, and subhanallah he loves us more than we love Him. Now what we got to work on is increasing our love for Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala)

Eventually as we learn abt His qualities, we could so easily fall in love with Him. Usually as u get to know someone with good qualities more and more, you fall in love with such a person, because of his qualities. Now who could possibly have better qualities than Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala). We just have to learn abt these qualities.

Another thing…. when you love someone very dearly, you want to learn more and more abt that person, you want to learn his likes and dislikes so you try to find out as much as you can abt them. So once you know, you try to love what they love, and hate what they hate, because of fear that you might not be able to please them and get love in return. And since you can never know if one loves you or not, you keep hoping that they do and keep hoping that if they do love you then they will forgive or ignore your mistakes. Now, imagine the same scenario, but with Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala) as the One you truly love. All this to say that we can have a stable amount of fear and hope if we strengthen our love wallahu alam.

Now insha’Allah, I pray that this class will help us understand and learn abt our Creator, Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala). And once we will know a little more about what He wants from us, what He likes and dislikes, we will apply it in our life purely for His sake and for our love for Him. Ameen!

p.s. sorry for the length, but hey its amazing how I actually typed all this knowing how lazy I am when it comes to writing. This won’t happen very often.
Asma Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:56 PM   #2
Saba
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Fear and Hope = Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asma Q.
I pray that this class will help us understand and learn abt our Creator, Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala). And once we will know a little more about what He wants from us, what He likes and dislikes, we will apply it in our life purely for His sake and for our love for Him. Ameen!

AMEEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asma Q.
p.s. sorry for the length, but hey its amazing how I actually typed all this knowing how lazy I am when it comes to writing. This won’t happen very often.
I hope it DOES happen very often because I think you write awesome stuff
Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
sadiav
Qabeelat Asad

from tafsir ibn kathir

[قُلْ إِن كُنتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِى يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ - قُلْ أَطِيعُواْ اللَّهَ وَالرَّسُولَ فإِن تَوَلَّوْاْ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ لاَ يُحِبُّ الْكَـفِرِينَ ]

(31. Say (O Muhammad to mankind): "If you (really) love Allah, then follow me (i.e. Muhammad), Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.'')

(32. Say: "Obey Allah and the Messenger.'' But if they turn away, then Allah does not like the disbelievers.)

Allah's Love is Attained by Following the Messenger

This honorable Ayah judges against those who claim to love Allah, yet do not follow the way of Muhammad . Such people are not true in their claim until they follow the Shari`ah (Law) of Muhammad and his religion in all his statements, actions and conditions. It is recorded in the Sahih that the Messenger of Allah said,

«مَنْ عَمِلَ عَمَلًا لَيْسَ عَلَيْهِ أَمْرُنَا فَهُوَ رَد»

(Whoever commits an act that does not conform with our matter (religion), then it will be rejected of him.)

This is why Allah said here,

[قُلْ إِن كُنتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِى يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ]

(Say (O Muhammad to mankind): "If you (really) love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you...'') meaning, what you will earn is much more than what you sought in loving Him, for Allah will love you. Al-Hasan Al-Basri and several scholars among the Salaf commented, "Some people claimed that they love Allah. So Allah tested them with this Ayah;

[قُلْ إِن كُنتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِى يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ]

(Say (O Muhammad to mankind): "If you (really) love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you...''). ''

Allah then said,

[وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ]

("And forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.'') meaning, by your following the Messenger , you will earn all this with the blessing of his mission. Allah next commands everyone,

[قُلْ أَطِيعُواْ اللَّهَ وَالرَّسُولَ فإِن تَوَلَّوْاْ]

(Say: "Obey Allah and the Messenger.'' But if they turn away) by defying the Prophet ,

[فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ لاَ يُحِبُّ الْكَـفِرِينَ]

(then Allah does not like the disbelievers.) thus, testifying that defiance of the Messenger's way constitutes Kufr. Indeed, Allah does not like whoever does this, even if he claims that he loves Allah and seeks a means of approach to Him, unless, and until, he follows the unlettered Prophet, the Final Messenger from Allah to the two creations: mankind and the Jinn. This is the Prophet who, if the previous Prophets and mighty Messengers were to have been alive during his time, they would have no choice but to follow, obey him, and to abide by his Law. We will mention this fact when we explain the Ayah,

[وَإِذْ أَخَذَ اللَّهُ مِيثَـقَ النَّبِيِّيْنَ]

(And (remember) when Allah took the Covenant of the Prophets) [3:81], Allah willing.

Use this as a day to come closer to Allah SWT
OR
let it pass by as another wasted day

What will we decide today
sadiav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
sadiav
Qabeelat Asad

Love of Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala
by Imam Ibn ul Qayyim al Jawziyyah

Madarij as-Saalikeen, vol. 3, pp. 17-18.
Quoted in "The Delight of Faith" by Abdullah bin Jarullah al-Jarullah
(Transl. J. Zarabozo; © Dar as-Salaam, 1996)

Ibn al-Qaiyim mentioned ten causes that result in Allah's love for His slave and the slave's love for his Lord. [These ten are:]

First, reciting the Qur'an while pondering over its meanings and what is meant by it.

Second, getting closer to Allah by performing voluntary deeds after completing obligatory deeds. This is as is stated in a Hadith Qudsi: "My slave continues getting closer to Me by performing voluntary deeds until I love him." [al-Bukhari]

Third, continual remembrance of Allah under all circumstances, with one's tongue, heart and actions. The extent of one's love of Allah is determined by this.

Fourth, giving precedence to what He loves over what you love when you are overtaken by your desires.

Fifth, the heart being avid of Allah's Names, and Attributes and the heart roaming in that garden of knowledge.

Sixth, observing Allah's kindness, goodness and bounties, both hidden and open.

Seventh, and this is the most wonderful, the heart being soft, subdued and meek before Allah.

Eighth, being alone with Allah during the time when the Lord descends during the last portion of the night while reading His Book and ending that by asking for forgiveness and repenting.

Ninth, sitting with the beloved and sincere, benefitting from the most fruitful of their speech. And not to speak unless speaking is more beneficial and you know that it will improve your state and be beneficial to others.

Tenth, remaining away from every cause that comes between the heart and Allah.

These ten causes take the lovers to the station of true love and bring them to their Beloved.

Use this as a day to come closer to Allah SWT
OR
let it pass by as another wasted day

What will we decide today
sadiav is offline   Reply With Quote