Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > AlMaghrib Student Tribes Discussion

View Poll Results: Which poster for "The Collector's Edition" do you love the best?
Submission 1: Discarded Riches 9 7.44%
Submission 2: Eye of the Muhadith 6 4.96%
Submission 3: Following the Footsteps 5 4.13%
Submission 4: Hidden Oasis 43 35.54%
Submission 5: Unlocked Narrations 5 4.13%
Submission 6: Scrolls 11 9.09%
Submission 7: Scroll of Light 37 30.58%
Submission 8: Allah's Creations - Saheeh Signs 2 1.65%
Submission 9: Knowledge Tree 3 2.48%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
mostafa

Cool The Collector's Edition ~ Sizzler Graphics Showdown

Asalaamu `alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu,

Bismillah.

I want to start off by saying that I've really enjoyed coordinating another strong Sizzler Graphics Competition. These submissions (1 through 9) made it to the final Sizzler Showdown

For this Sizzler, we’ve got a twist. We’ll be providing brief critiques of each of the finalists, courtesy of M&M at the Sizzler. M&M reviewed all entries and decided to include these critiques. We’re looking for excellence, so we were tough on everyone. Overall rating is out of 5 stars.

Discarded Riches
http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/1.jpg

Good: Nice use of reflection, especially on a dark background (not simply black; it looks aged, like something from the archives). The egg will definitely get people thinking.
Not-as-good: Pen is a bit cliché. It almost seems to clash with the egg. Or does it?
Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Good: It makes you look multiple times. It has a subtle elegant look to it.
Not-as-good: To the untrained eye, it may look like a low quality picture (even though it is intended). The egg may get unintended laughs.
Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars

Bottom line: 3 out of 5 stars

Eye of the Muhadith
http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/2.jpg

Good: The eye is ... it's eye-catching, as is the use of red.
Not-as-Good: It's hard to tell if the light is coming from the eye or from the left of the cave. I might expect this for something on the Day of Judgment.
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Good: Makes a powerful statement.
Not-as-Good: Too loud, a kind of loud that may come across as arrogant. Fonts are rough, unprofessional looking.
Rating: 1 out of 5 stars

Bottom line: 1 1/2 out of 5 stars

Following the Footsteps

http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/3.jpg

Good: Strong imagery – the shadow of someone traveling for just one hadeeth. The huge C in Collector's Edition really brings the focus on the key word of the title.
Not-as-Good: A bit cliché, and a bit too much sand.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Good: Nice use of fonts.
Not-as-Good: the sand looks like marshmallow dunes. It's kind of cliché, footsteps, clouds, sand ... it's been done before.

Bottom line: 2 out of 5 stars

Hidden Oasis

http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/4.jpg

Good: Very beautiful imagery, to go along with nice fonts. The stamp of authenticity is a nice touch. My eyes are drawn to the glowing spring.
Not-as-Good: The brightness of the spring is attractive to the eye, yet is also distracting. The alignment of the text could be improved.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Good: I always respect the first word that comes to mind when I see a poster, this one made my mouth drop and say WOW. It's intriguing. Something you want to look at again and again.
Not-so-good: maybe placement of the text.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Bottom line: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Unlocked Narrations
http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/5.jpg

Good: Very creative with the post office boxes. Notice the nameplates on the unopened boxes. The postcard in the unlocked box has the beginning of the first hadeeth in Saheeh AlBukhari, stamped with "Saheeh" (in Arabic).
Not-as-Good: The AlMaghrib logo is a bit hidden, as the key inside the PO Box. It should probably be more prominent. The key is not as smooth as the rest of the poster.

Good: Creative and different.
Not-so-good: It's not up to poster standard. It's more like a newspaper ad.

Scrolls
http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/6.jpg

Good: Sometimes, it’s just natural to be cliché. I like the bolding of the state and the month in the sample locations, stressing the more important details. The black background and the font (and font color) combo has a classical look.
Not-so-good: Too many scrolls clutter the poster.

Good: The black has an elegant look to it.
Not-so-good: the scrolls are very cliché

Scroll of Light
http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/7.jpg

Good: Black and white, and only black and white. Or is it? Look closer, you see slight tinges of purple on the part of the scroll that is unfurled. Nice way of throwing in the AlMaghrib color with subtlety (WOW). The font reminds me of the Godfather movies.
Not-as-Good: The details (locations, instructor, website, etc.) are a bit too small for my liking, although it's like a classic movie poster.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Good: It's SUPER elegant. It’s very mystifying and intriguing. Makes you look at it multiple times.
Not-so-good: the elegant-ness of it may be missed by those who do not appreciate art.
Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Bottom line: 3 3/4 out of 5 stars

Allah's Creations - Saheeh Signs
http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/8.jpg

Good: Many nature scenes, of the signs of Allah through His creations.
Not-as-Good: Too many images, too many different fonts, too many font colors, the title gets lost in the image – due to color and choice of font (over the top fanciness).

Good: Different.
Not-so-good: It's not poster standard. It may look better as a flyer.

Bottom line: 1 out of 5 stars

Knowledge Tree
http://durbah.almaghrib.org/ce/9.jpg

Good: Nice image, with a nice frosted effect.
Not-as-Good: The sub-title sticks out more than the title, due to size and positioning. It doesn’t make the viewer stop to think. One look and you get the idea.

Good: It's got a nice effect to it.
Not-so-good: there really isn't any deep meaning to a frosted tree. And it's kind of cliché.

Bottom line: 1 out of 5 stars

NOW, let's vote ... and if you have something nice to say, then say it. Otherwise, keep quiet (or else I start zapping). We took care of the pros and cons for you. This isn’t open season on the designs. Each of the contestants worked very hard, and I am very grateful to Allah for the awesome, outstanding effort.

As for the vote, there is to be no campaigning (positive or negative). Tell your friends to vote if they want, but don't tell them which design to vote for. Let's keep it unbiased, bi idhnillah. Names and tribes have been kept confidential. Only the winner’s forum name and tribe will be revealed, once it’s official.

May Allah increase all 9 of our competitors who have made it to this stage of the Sizzler Showdown with more barakah in their lives, and bi idhnillah we'll see other awesome graphic designers in upcoming competitions.

*** THE POLL CLOSES ON SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY MORNING (2 DAYS FROM NOW) on 1/1/06. MAKE SURE TO VOTE BEFORE THEN INSHAA' ALLAH! ***

Last edited by mostafa; 12-30-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:46 AM   #2
AlSharif

Re: The Collector's Edition ~ Sizzler Graphics Showdown

we got judges with some brutally honest critiques!.. this contest keep gettin better and better, i wish we could see the posters lined up side by side though like the previous contests

Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 AM   #3
mostafa

Asalaamu `alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu,

I'll see what I can do about that inshaa' Allah. They would have to all be in one file (e.g., PDF, etc.), as there are limits into how many files you can post. The way I have it, each one you click on opens in a new window. You can size them all next to each other. Having them all in one document, you wouldn't be able to zoom in.

So, do you still want them all on one page?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
bedou

you could also either make thumbnails yourself, or have the artists make the thumbnails, then use the [img] tag to display them, and link them to the big ones using the [url] tag.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
bint Ibrahim
Qabeelat Majd

This is so Almaghribastic ...
To the vastness of the next world
And from the tyranny of man
To the justice of ISLAM!"
Old 12-30-2005, 08:14 AM   #6
brother_bruce
'Abd al-Kareem

salaam

br. mostafa, dont you think that giving the posters a rating influences everyone's decison?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
fLoW
Qabeelat Majd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSharif
i wish we could see the posters lined up side by side though like the previous contests

i actually opened them up and lined 4 of them side by side and eliminated 1 or 2 and then opened more.. so then i was really debating between 3.. so that helps. u can try it insha'Allah

i gotta say MASHA'ALLAH... AlMaghribers got some talents, man!

i read two ratings and then stopped.... looked at all of them, made my decision, voted and then looked at ratings.. that way yur decision is yours

discoveru.nobera AT gmail DOT com
www.discoverulife.com
Old 12-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
UmA
Qabeelat Majd

It was hard to judge (esp. with the m&m's)

Ma sha Allah:

The scroll of light would really stand out amongst a group of masjid flyers.

The egg one is bold, uncliched.

The mailbox idea is clever.

And the hidden oasis would make a splendid retreat in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:53 AM   #9
luqman_hyd
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother_bruce
salaam

br. mostafa, dont you think that giving the posters a rating influences everyone's decison?
As Salaam Alikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatahu,

Amazing Designs, need to really plause for all the Designers, MashaAllah.
May Allah increase all of ours Ema'n.

May the best design win.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
bint Ibrahim
Qabeelat Majd

I would say the m&m's critique is a bit influential however it takes the laymens eye to a whole new level ...... the prespective changes
To the vastness of the next world
And from the tyranny of man
To the justice of ISLAM!"
Closed Thread