Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Partners > Khutbah.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
muslimsistar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Khutbah title?

I don't know if this should be in this section...
----------
Assalamualikum,

I believe there is some error in the Khutbah 'Goodbye My Beloved'.
It seems as though a khutbah on love has appeared in the middle. I'm not
sure, maybe that is how it is meant to be, but it doesn't quite fit in.

Wasalam.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
Yasser Ibn Amr Ibn Al'aas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Re: Khutbah error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslimsistar
I don't know if this should be in this section...
----------
Assalamualikum,

I believe there is some error in the Khutbah 'Goodbye My Beloved'.
It seems as though a khutbah on love has appeared in the middle. I'm not
sure, maybe that is how it is meant to be, but it doesn't quite fit in.

Wasalam.
I haven't heard that specific one, but I wanted to ask Sh. Muhammad about the style itself. When the title is 'The day we lost our masjid' and the content is about the importance, how is that good? The title definately attracted me, but I was kinda MAD after the khutbah because I didn't find the story that I expected. I asked around, and found out that this is a feeling that some of the people have as well.

Another example is the khutbah 'I am not lying, I'm just joking' or something like that. I really really really wanted to get any evidence about how lying is haram, EVEN IF JOKING, but it turns out it's about Ka'b's story.

I know I don't know anything about techniques like that, but maybe you can teach us a little about that.

Jazak Allahu khayra,
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Muhammad Alshareef
Founder/Director of AlMaghrib Institute, EmanRush Audio & Khutbah.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,273
Re: Khutbah error?

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, what does it mean to you, or me, or someone in China? It means different things. It's a vague term.

I can't aim for everyone's understanding of the title. Instead, I try to make a catchy title, and let it go from there. The titles do have connections to the lecture, you just have to search for it. Both the Masjid lecture and the lying lecture have context (it just may not have turned out to be what you thought it was)

Actually, when I give lectures at conferences, they frequently give me vague topics. Then, after the lecture, many people may get upset because it wasn't what they were expecting.

As we say in Egyptian, "Ha'millak 'eh?"
Muhammad Alshareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:29 AM   #4
AbdulHasib
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Khutbah error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Ibn Amr Ibn Al'aas
I haven't heard that specific one, but I wanted to ask Sh. Muhammad about the style itself. When the title is 'The day we lost our masjid' and the content is about the importance, how is that good? The title definately attracted me, but I was kinda MAD after the khutbah because I didn't find the story that I expected. I asked around, and found out that this is a feeling that some of the people have as well.

Another example is the khutbah 'I am not lying, I'm just joking' or something like that. I really really really wanted to get any evidence about how lying is haram, EVEN IF JOKING, but it turns out it's about Ka'b's story.

I know I don't know anything about techniques like that, but maybe you can teach us a little about that.

Jazak Allahu khayra,
You learn that from english and british literature. The author's/speaker's usually use what's called a "HOOK" to get the reader interested from the get go. I don't know about you guys, but almost all of sh.muhammed's lectures/khutbahs,etc. are like that...interesting from beginning to end. This may not be the case, but notice how the TITLES of each khutbah/class have been thought out to give that "HOOK"-Y catch. . I was taught to use that as well, again, through these English and British Literature classes. The title is what attracts people...it attracted YOU Yasser for example. Thus, this "slogan" brain storming is what this is, to attract people to come to Al-Maghrib, they fall "hook line and sinker" .
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:31 AM   #5
GREEN_BIRD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Khutbah error?

Assalaamu alaykum Muslimsistar, I dont think there is an error in that khutbah inshaAllah, I believe the theme of love mentioned in the khutbah is connected to the subject of losing someone beloved, and if we do love someone because they say laillaha ilallah then we shouldnt be sad, as our friendship will not end at death
Nice thought hey!

May Allah (SWT) forgive all three people who were killed in that car incident. Ameen
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:46 AM   #6
Yasser Ibn Amr Ibn Al'aas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb Re: Khutbah error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Alshareef
R-E-S-P-E-C-T, what does it mean to you, or me, or someone in China? It means different things. It's a vague term.

I can't aim for everyone's understanding of the title. Instead, I try to make a catchy title, and let it go from there. The titles do have connections to the lecture, you just have to search for it. Both the Masjid lecture and the lying lecture have context (it just may not have turned out to be what you thought it was)

Actually, when I give lectures at conferences, they frequently give me vague topics. Then, after the lecture, many people may get upset because it wasn't what they were expecting.

As we say in Egyptian, "Ha'millak 'eh?"
Al-hamdu lillah, I know for a fact that benefited a LOT from the way you lay out things within a lecture, and I've stole some of your ideas to lay out a lecture, but I just can't extract any LAWS on how to choose a title for any lecture. Should I just have a catchy name, with minimal obvious contact with the subject? As I said, people are waiting for the what the title tells them they're going to hear. As I was reading the story of Ka'b, Radeyallahu 'anh (by the way, this is one of the stories that I love the most), and after I finished it and read what you said after that, I was like 'Tayyeb, where is the proof for not lying even jokingly ?.' I kept looking and looking, and all of a sudden, the lecture ended.

I guess my question, just to be precise, is: What are the laws that control choosing a name for any workshop? I am in the process of putting together the education program for a camp that we'll have here in Houston, in shaa Allah, in November. Maybe Sh. You can help me understand how to choose titles, and topics for this cause.

Jazak Allahu khayra.

PS: I don't know if you intended this or not, when I first read R-E-S-P-E-C-T, I thought you took my post in the wrong way. I read it 3 or 4 times after that to get it
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
Muhammad Alshareef
Founder/Director of AlMaghrib Institute, EmanRush Audio & Khutbah.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,273
Smile Re: Khutbah titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Ibn Amr Ibn Al'aas
PS: I don't know if you intended this or not, when I first read R-E-S-P-E-C-T, I thought you took my post in the wrong way. I read it 3 or 4 times after that to get it
I kinda thought you or someone would, my apologies. The second line of the word: 'Knowing what it means to me?' What does it mean? It means a hundred and one different things to as many people.

Note: when i choose titles or design looks, if a common person just looks at it and understands exactly what it means, I consider that a bad choice of title or a bad graphic design. It leaves nothing to the imagination.

If you'll notice with the term: AlMaghrib (what does it mean?)
Or the term: EmanRush (what does it mean?)
Or the names of the Qabeelahs.

I do that on purpose. That's why when someone says, 'Why did you choose the name AlMaghrib,' I just refer them to the homepage: www.AlMaghrib.org because I would rather not restrict the vastness of meaning that the word carries by telling them what 'I' think it means. It's funner and more exciting for the person to discover it themselves.

Subhan Allah, it's an art to choose interesting names, like coloring a painting. That's why when someone says to me, 'give me a name for my x da'wah project', they don't realize that good names and good ideas do not come from a vacuum. You have to sit down for weeks thinking up good stuff, especially for major da'wah projects.
Muhammad Alshareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Mursaleen AlKhurasani
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up Re: Khutbah error?

Subhanallah, i used these technique for making program flyers in our Masjid. The titles sound catchy, for example instead of "Purification of the Heart" i used "Got rust?". The title attracts the attention of many and they attend the program. Only few tell me that "what does this title have to do with the lecture?" but most people forget the title after the lecture.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:23 PM   #9
Yasser Ibn Amr Ibn Al'aas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Re: Khutbah titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Alshareef
I kinda thought you or someone would, my apologies.
Phoooo.. Al-hamdu lillah

Quote:
Note: when i choose titles or design looks, if a common person just looks at it and understands exactly what it means, I consider that a bad choice of title or a bad graphic design. It leaves nothing to the imagination.
Ok. I might be ignorant in this field, I mean ART (Afterall, I am a guy ), but I don't see how good it is for a person to expect to learn about something, but ends up learning something else, and comes out of the lecture thinking ONLY about that that he was looking for. I know I need help, severe help, but I guess I just don't see it. Please help me Sh., I'll probably choose ugly titles for the camp and no one will come.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
AbdulHasib
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Khutbah titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Ibn Amr Ibn Al'aas

(Afterall, I am a guy )
stereotype... :P. Being a guy and not being creative or artistic have nothing to do with each other. Many guys that can attest to that...hey look at SH.MUHAMMED for example .
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Khutbah Prep: How to memorize Qur'an Muhammad Alshareef Khutbah.com 26 04-25-2008 01:05 AM
Khutbah Prep: Sleeping habits of Allah's messenger Muhammad Alshareef Khutbah.com 99 04-22-2004 10:46 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All content copyright © 2005 AlMaghrib Institute. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be copied without written permission from the administration. The views, posts, and opinions expressed by members of the forum are not necessarily those of the staff and management of AlMaghrib or the Institute itself.