Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Rizq Management: Fiqh of Worship IV - Zakah, Siyam, Hajj - FQH 301

Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
fLoW
Qabeelat Majd

Potential Spouse helping Parents with Mortgage Payments

Salamuailakum wa Rahmatulahhe wa Barakatoo,

My friend has asked me a question that I thought I would ask here. My friend's question is regarding her potential spouse. He is currently helping with parents financially, however, the main concern is that this parents have a mortgage. He is MashaAllah very steadfast in his dean and has repeatedly encourgaged them to get off of the mortgage or switch to an islamic mortgage plan. His parents don't agree. He does not / does not want to help directly with mortgage payment but he knows his money goes there. My friend is hesitant on going further with the process becuase she knows anything riba related is haram. What is the ruling under her situation?

Jazak Allah Khair for reading this. Pleas reply soon.

WaSalamuailakum Wa Rahmatulahee wa Barakatoo.

discoveru.nobera AT gmail DOT com
www.discoverulife.com
fLoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
Abdul Basit Munda
Qabeelat Majd

Re: Potential Spouse helping Parents with Mortgage Payments

Umm .. i think better place to ask this question would be on islamtoday.com or islamicnetwork.com or islamqa.com

try these websites because they are made for fatwah .. i think this forum is not for q and a's and stuff .. but may be Muhammad Al -shareef or any other teacher might answer you inshallah : )
Abdul Basit Munda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
fLoW
Qabeelat Majd

I think it will open after a week or two. It's just that she has been waiting for a while and does not want to keep him hanging. And about asking questions here, I thought it was allowed and questions did get answered. Wallahu 'Alem.

www.discoverulife.com
Old 04-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Tameem
Ummat Muhammad

Lightbulb Re: Potential Spouse helping Parents with Mortgage Payments

Quote:
Originally Posted by fLoW
Salamuailakum wa Rahmatulahhe wa Barakatoo,

My friend has asked me a question that I thought I would ask here. My friend's question is regarding her potential spouse. He is currently helping with parents financially, however, the main concern is that this parents have a mortgage. He is MashaAllah very steadfast in his dean and has repeatedly encourgaged them to get off of the mortgage or switch to an islamic mortgage plan. His parents don't agree. He does not / does not want to help directly with mortgage payment but he knows his money goes there. My friend is hesitant on going further with the process becuase she knows anything riba related is haram. What is the ruling under her situation?

Jazak Allah Khair for reading this. Pleas reply soon.

WaSalamuailakum Wa Rahmatulahee wa Barakatoo.
One shouldn't look deep into things, specially when it comes to helping his parents.

If he gives his parents money, his intention would be to serve them and make them happy and help them in their everyday life. How they use it is upon them, not upon him.

So, let him not dig into the expense report of the money he gives them, and consider it going to their food/drink/clothes...etc, not to their morgage. Meanwhile, make duaa for them to be guided and accept leaving what Allah has made haraam.

Stopping helping them is ungratefulness to parents, and this is the worst sin after shirk.

I hope this helped.
Tameem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
silyas
Ummat Muhammad

a pointer:

Even if you rent a house, the money you are giving the owners is still going towards paying off their mortgage. you are not escaping from riba, infact you are giving someone money to pay off their mortgage (mortgage=riba).

Many Sheikhs have said since there's no option of escaping from riba, (between renting and buying a house) it would be okay to do so, since it's a life and death matter (you can't sleep out on the street can you?)

allah alim
silyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
cherenancy
Qabeelat Asad

The parents got a mortgage (bad) the son is helping them to get rid of it sooner than they could themselves (good) in sha Allah you can work together to trade the debt for a halal one. The fact that you are uncomfortable with the present situation is good and will serve as a guidance to have all seek a suitable solution. Call a spade a spade. The son gives his parents money to help them make ends meet and it either gets siphoned into the mortgage payments or simply permits them to use their living money to contribute to the mortgage, either way, it is the same thing. If the son came right out and declared his hate for the mortgage, that his parents took that situation, and promised the funds toward expediating paying it off, that would be better. In this way he is not turning a blind eye and he is doing something proactive to clean up the situation.

The above is my opinion, but I have been reading up a lot lately on debt, interest bearing loans, debt trading and so on seeking to resolve my own horrendous debt for which I am paying over $250.00 a month in just interest alone. I deduced out of your issue the above angle. You may find the following article of interest:

Hawala al-Dayn-transfer of debt
http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthread.php?t=16139
cherenancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
fLoW
Qabeelat Majd

jazakum Allah khairun everyone. the info has been very benificial

www.discoverulife.com
Old 04-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
al-Mizzi
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
The parents got a mortgage (bad) the son is helping them to get rid of it sooner than they could themselves (good) in sha Allah you can work together to trade the debt for a halal one.
This is a good point.

When it comes to mortgages you have to realize that getting rid of them means paying them off because not paying them off could end up in a serious evil of losing all of your property. The oppression that the banks will inflict on you is severe.

So think of it as an original sin and subsidiary sins. If you havent sought forgiveness for the original sin then every payment is just another sin to add to it. But if you have sought forgiveness and you are trying to get out of this oppression then we pray that you will not incurr any new sins.

So in this case, helping your parents could be obligatory. However, it is really important that they change their intention from gladly paying ribaa to paying it because they are forced to.

So long as they are paying it willfully there is a big doubt that you will be aiding them in something haraam by helping them pay the interest. In which case you can try to give them the material things they need without actually handing them money. Or making whatever payments they have to make yourself.

No matter what, obeying the parents comes second to obeying Allaah. Even if they do the unthinkable because you want to avoid haraam then you are in the right despite what anyone says.

If you make Allaah pleased by displeasing the people he will make their trial easy for you. And from experience: they will also eventually be pleased with you or at least respect your decisions and steadfastness.

Fear Allaah to the best of your ability.
al-Mizzi is offline   Reply With Quote