Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Institute Main Administration > AlMaghrib Institute Discussion

Old 05-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
cherenancy
Qabeelat Asad

Job description of an ameer or ameerah of a qabeelah

Salam alaykum,

I would like to know what the job description of an ameer or an ameerah of a qabeelah is exactly. Those of you who are outstanding or former position holders who have been outstanding (or memebers of a qabeelah who see their ameer or ameerah as outstanding), what makes you (them) outstanding? What can you teach to other ameers or ameerahs (or any members who have an eye for the position) to help them grow to be outstanding? I think this would be very helpful. I look forward to the responses as I prepare myself to one day (distant future) take the helm in sha Allah!

Nancy B
cherenancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Muhammad Alshareef
Founder/Director of AlMaghrib Institute, EmanRush Audio & Khutbah.com

Re: Job description of an ameer or ameerah of a qabeelah

The ameer/ah needs to be a person of influence. Someone who whent they grab the microphone and say 'stand up', people stand up.

There are great managers, and then there are great leaders (people who can influence others). If one has both these skills, they would bring so much benefit to the community.

Suppose someone can influence 100 people, but that's about it. What to do? Find the main person who can influence the next 100 people, and make sure you can influence them. And then keep finding people like that, people who are leaders amongst their people.

... and thus a great Qabeelah can be born! In sha Allah.
Muhammad Alshareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Umm-Layth

Brother Haroon (may Allaah bless him and protect him) aameen is a really great Ameer. Masha'Allaah he is well organized and his emails have this (can't think of the word) - .... have this.... Energy?

So after seeing how he deals with things masha'Allaah I see 2 things, 1) Organization 2) The energy (influence)

I truly think those 2 are major components of it as long as they are followed with the intention to please Allaah and do what is right always.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Siraaj

The advice that was given to me to deal with marriage, I would recommend here as well...

HAVE PATIENCE! LOTS OF PATIENCE!

Siraaj
Old 05-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Hasan

Wa 'alaikum as-salaam wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakaatuh,

The Prophet (salla Allahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said, "And you will find that the best people are those who hate responsibility of ruling most of all till they are chosen to be the rulers." [Sahih AlBukhari, Vol 4, Book 56, Number 787]

Most people who desire positions of authority do not understand what leadership really means. I think that if a leader truly dislikes authority, he/she will seek to make himself/herself expendable - and that is what makes them awesome leaders!

Wa Allahu a'lam.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #6
cherenancy
Qabeelat Asad

Salam alaykum, awsome responses, thanks. Anything else to add?
cherenancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
Omair Rana
Qabeelat Majd

i) Ability to motivate/ lead

ii) Organization

iii) Motivated themself

iv) Patient

v) Overcome discouragement

vi) Earn respect of his/her Qabeelat

vii) Give respect to his/her Qabeelat

viii) NOT A MICRO MANAGER --> Very important

ix) Willing to let others do work

x) Learns from their mistakes

xi) Teaches by example

xii) Allows others to learn from mistakes

xiii) Encourages independance

xiv) Identifies motivated Qabeelat members --> Helps to provide them a structure to succeed within the Qabeelat

xv) Identifies future Ameers/Ameerahs and leaders

xvi) Willing to pass the torch

xvii) Willing to take criticism/naseeha

xviii) Thick skin : Doesn't take things personally

xix) Respectful

xx) Ready for Challenges

xxi) Thinks outside the box --> Innovative

those are my $0.02

Asssalamaualaikum
Old 05-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
ikhlaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan
Wa 'alaikum as-salaam wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakaatuh,

I think that if a leader truly dislikes authority, he/she will seek to make himself/herself expendable - and that is what makes them awesome leaders!

Wa Allahu a'lam.
as salamu`alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu akhi

can you please elaborate on this, I didn't really understand the correlation b/w being expendable and awesome leaders

wassalam
Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhlaas
as salamu`alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu akhi

can you please elaborate on this, I didn't really understand the correlation b/w being expendable and awesome leaders

wassalam
Wa 'alaikum as-salaam wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakaatuhu, Kamran bhai!

Scenario A - A person is eager for the position because he wants power. When he becomes the leader, he ensures that he has his hands in every single aspect of the organization. No one makes a move until he does. Everyone is dependent on him. He has total control. He is indispensable.

As a result, he has become a bottleneck in the organization because everything has to go through him first. Inefficiency is rampant. Also, when he dies, the organization will come crashing down because nobody has developed the decision making skills, leadership skills, or management skills to get things done. Everyone was dependant on him. Therefore, his departure leaves a leadership vaccuum that nobody can fill.

Scenario B - A person dislikes power, but is chosen by the people to become the leader. Why does he dislike power? He realizes the great burden of responsibility - it is not a treat, but a trial. So when that responsibility is on his shoulders, he approaches it in the proper fashion. His focus is not on himself, but on the organization. Therefore, he takes steps to ensure its long term vitality. A major part of that is developing people to think on their own, developing a "company" culture, and ensuring that when he dies, the organization will keep on going, bi idhni Allah. In short, he makes himself dispensable.

For more info, read The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey by Ken Blanchard.

Wa Allahu a'lam.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
AlMaghribFan
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan
The Prophet (salla Allahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said, "And you will find that the best people are those who hate responsibility of ruling most of all till they are chosen to be the rulers." [Sahih AlBukhari, Vol 4, Book 56, Number 787]
Mashallah, that's a very interesting hadith. I agree that a person shouldn't be after a position, but it is very essential that every person keeps himself/herself ready if the situation so demands. I think it is Farde-Kifayah to have good leaders in the society. "Hating" the responsibility (just for the sake of power) is a good thing, but the negative aspect of this is that you might never try to persue leadership qualities ... something that the Ummah really needs today.

Allah knows the best.
AlMaghribFan is offline   Reply With Quote