Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > Qabeelat Hosna

Old 06-21-2004, 04:26 PM   #41
SisterBasmah

Thumbs up Re: An opportunity HOSNA MUST NOT miss!

assalaamu'alaikum

just to let u know, i emailed my friends from DOA and Al-Manar... just waititing for their replies.

assalaamu'alaikum
Old 06-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #42
fatimahye

Re: An opportunity HOSNA MUST NOT miss!

basmah,

who could forget brother musa?! the reason i didn't mention him was because i only saw him the first weekend, he didn't take the whole class (not sure if he registered and if he will take the exam)
besides that, i just didn't see any recent posts from him, especially in poetry (aisha had even asked on the thread if he had taken the class and hinted she was waiting for a poem from him, but no response)
that's why i didn't include him since he didn't have a poem about this class specifically

about sister oum abdur rahman, you're right (she's pretty new to me, so i DID forget her...sorry)

brother mandarina,
i will be really glad if a doa/manar staffer(s) help(s) with layout, articles, etc. but i want something to be clear: there should be one person (or a few) who absolutely make sure it is interesting, well-written, and professional; inshallah i will check over all editing work, and i'm not sure who does the final layout check, but i feel this is too important to just send to the presses without having an overall final check for all points (grammar, presentation, etc.)
maybe this is DUH, but what i mean is even though al-manar and doa do a great job, someone like brother irtiza, you guys, maybe even mohammad al-shareef should check over it and approve it; nothing should be taken for granted; after all, it is a reflection on al-maghrib
Old 06-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #43
Mandarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterBasmah
assalaamu'alaikum

just to let u know, i emailed my friends from DOA and Al-Manar... just waititing for their replies.

assalaamu'alaikum
Jazaakum Allah hayr. I hope we hear from them soon...
Old 06-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #44
Mandarina

Quote:
brother mandarina,
i will be really glad if a doa/manar staffer(s) help(s) with layout, articles, etc. but i want something to be clear: there should be one person (or a few) who absolutely make sure it is interesting, well-written, and professional; inshallah i will check over all editing work, and i'm not sure who does the final layout check, but i feel this is too important to just send to the presses without having an overall final check for all points (grammar, presentation, etc.)
maybe this is DUH, but what i mean is even though al-manar and doa do a great job, someone like brother irtiza, you guys, maybe even mohammad al-shareef should check over it and approve it; nothing should be taken for granted; after all, it is a reflection on al-maghrib
Jazaakum Allah hayr sister for raising the concern. Rest assured that – in sha Allah – nothing will be “released to production” without a final and overall check of the “finished product” which will include the blessing of the tribe’s ameer.

What we are doing here is compilation of raw material (think of it as dough). We’re getting articles, poems, charts … whatever the tribe members submit for publication. With this on our hands, we’re working together on shaping this raw material into something we’ll all be proud of. That’s why we need as much input as possible, from as many people as possible, and as soon as possible. The more eyes looks at the newsletter, or the portions of it, the better it will in sha Allah be once we release it.

And everything we post here is open for critique and suggestions: the articles, the layout, the graphics… This means that once we have most of the material in hand, we’ll start working on the layout. Draft layout will be posted here (we’ll make a PDF file somewhere on a server and put a link to it) for everyone to take a look at it and give their input.

Once we get a version we’ll call “final,” it will be submitted to brother Irtiza and only after his “GO” will the newsletter be released as a finished product, in sha Allah.

So, I can’t stress enough how important it is for everyone wishing to help with this project to get involved NOW, and keep visiting this thread as often as possible, especially after Sunday July 27th. These will be the final hours of preparation, so quick feedback will be crucial. If we don’t hear from many, we’ll have to be making decisions based on opinions of us few.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:44 PM   #45
Mandarina

I have continued writing what I had started as intro to the newsletter. Presented below is the proposal for the introduction to the class summary. This would come after the introductions to the newsletter which I have proposed before.

Again, I am asking for your feedback on this, or proposal for a different approach...

==================================================

The Code Evolved ~ Evolution of Fiqh

As its name implies, the class dealt with the history of Islamic legislation, starting with the time of the Messenger s.a.w.s., all the way until the present day. The material we studied covered issue such as:

• definition of fiqh and shari’ah and difference between them;
• sources of fiqh in each of the stages in fiqh’s development;
• factors which affected fiqh (e.g. geopolitical circumstances, availability of resources etc.);
• characteristics of fiqh in each era;
• key scholars who contributed to shaping fiqh as we know it.

We also pondered over the question of who has the right to legislate: is it only Allah s.w.t. or is it Allah s.w.t. and His Messenger s.a.w.s.; and what is the role of the Companions when it comes to legislation. We also carefully looked into the lives of four Great Imams, examining their approaches to fiqh, their disagreements and how they dealt with them, their respect for each other etc.

Other issues we touched upon are:

• ijtihaad, which is the process of deducting rulings directly from the sources of shari’ah;
• advantages and disadvantages of taqleed which is the practice of blindly following the statement of the one who’s statement is not proof in itself;
• the issue of disagreement among scholars: its categories, reasons for its existence, its benefits, what to do about it etc.
• fiqh of minorities
• the future of fiqh
• and many more.

The stages

Throughout the history of fiqh’s development there were six distinct eras, each marked with certain specific characteristics which affected and shaped fiqh of that time. Knowing these factors which influenced the way fiqh evolved and came to its present stage is crucial for understanding the fiqh itself as well as for understanding various issue related to our daily practice of Islam. As such, each stage deserves a closer look and the following few paragraphs will in-sha-Allah present an overview of each stage.

Stage One – The Foundation

//summary of stage one would go here...
Old 06-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #46
SisterBasmah

assalaamu'alaikum

my corrections/suggestions are in red.
-i correct the use of semicolons at the end of each bullet
-then the reason i italicized the couple of bullets in the 2nd section of bullets was because, if you already mentioned "terminology related to class" in the first section then you don't really need to have taqleed and ijtihaad in the 2nd section... that's just my suggestion
-i took out that very last paragraph, i just thought it'd be better as a little line at the end, but thats just a suggestion also.
-i also took out the part in that last paragraph you wrote where in the last sentecne you said "the next FEW PARAGRAPHS will ..." i took ou the few paragraphs part...
-also the part where you wrote "in-sha-Allah" lets do the same thing with the insha'Allah's and stuff as we're gonna do with the "Allah s.w.t." and "Prophet Muhammed s.a.a.w." always keep it the same spelling... just for future reference i brought it up

well that's all i could catch up as far as grammar and personal suggestions. the content looks fine and i didn't find any spelling errors. rest seems swell to me.

assalaamu'alaikum

-------------------------------------------------

The Code Evolved ~ Evolution of Fiqh

As its name implies, the class dealt with the history of Islamic legislation, starting with the time of the Messenger s.a.w.s., all the way until the present day. The material we studied covered issues such as:

Terminology related to the class
Sources of fiqh in each of the stages in fiqh’s development
Factors which affected fiqh (e.g. geopolitical circumstances, availability of resources etc.)
Characteristics of fiqh in each era, or stage
Key scholars who contributed to shaping fiqh as we know it

We also pondered over the question of who has the right to legislate: is it only Allah s.w.t. or is it Allah s.w.t. and His Messenger s.a.w.s.; and what is the role of the Companions, and of the scholars who came after them, when it comes to legislation. We also carefully looked into the lives of four Great Imams, examining their approaches to fiqh, their disagreements and how they dealt with them, their respect for each other etc.

Other issues we touched upon are:

Ijtihaad, which is the process of deducting rulings directly from the sources of shari’ah
Advantages and disadvantages of taqleed which is the practice of blindly following the statement of the one who’s statement is not proof in itself

The issue of disagreement among scholars: its categories, reasons for its existence, its benefits, what to do about it, etc.
Fiqh of minorities
The future of fiqh

... and much, much more...

The stages

Throughout the history of fiqh’s development there were six distinct eras, each marked with certain specific characteristics which affected and shaped fiqh of that time. Knowing these factors which influenced the way fiqh evolved and came to its present stage is crucial for understanding the fiqh itself as well as for understanding various issue related to our daily practice of Islam. As such, each stage deserves a closer look and the following will in-sha-Allah present an overview of each stage.

Stage One – The Foundation

//summary of stage one would go here...
Old 06-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #47
fatimahye

i see you guys are hard at work

my only suggestion on the intro for the summaries is conditional:

if this is a 10 page journal style newsletter (more like a mini-mag, think doa with proper articles), then it is fine

if this is a 5 pager or less with emphasis on promo for al-maghrib (kind of an extended brochure), it is too long

i'm not saying cut out any of your info, but streamline it

if your purpose is just to give a "taste" of what we offer, then less is more

you could even have the summaries be in something like a timeline:

And now...a brief history of the Evolution of Fiqh:

Stage One: The Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa sallam receives the Quran and explains and implements it in his Sunnah, thus establishing the primary sources of legislation.

i'm thinking Time magazine style quick-view info with lots of graphics

you know, it's not too early to start thinking layout because of course the material we want will have to be shaped into the final format we desire; we just need to ask ourselves: what is that final format we desire?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:48 PM   #48
SisterBasmah

Thumbs up Re: An opportunity HOSNA MUST NOT miss!

assalaamu'alaikum

yeah dude i was thinking too, "this is gonna be too much article reading" (plus i'm one of those people that don't like reading article after article after article) but this timeline thing may just even it out! personally i like it. even if someone doesn't like it, its okay because the timeline may only fit in to the course for thisi newsletter, but think, if this was like for the Usool-ul-Fiqh class, i don't think timeline would work. so we can have a different set up for each newsletter we make, get it?

(props to sis fatima)

assalaamu'alaikum
Old 06-22-2004, 11:31 AM   #49
Mandarina

Jazaakum Allah hayr sisters for your thoughts and feedback!

Quote:
-then the reason i italicized the couple of bullets in the 2nd section of bullets was because, if you already mentioned "terminology related to class" in the first section then you don't really need to have taqleed and ijtihaad in the 2nd section... that's just my suggestion
The reason I was specifically mentioning blind following, disagreements, fiqh of minorities, future of fiqh etc. is that each of these is somewhat of a “hot topic.” I wanted the reader to say “Hey, I wanna learn about this stuff!” Saying “terminology related to the class” feels a bit too vague for me and I don’t think the reader really knows what that means.

I also expect that most people will not know the answer to the question “what’s the difference between fiqh and shari’ah” and that they would be curious to find out. So, I am basically trying to use these as “hooks” to hook the reader so that he/she is left thinking about these issues and so that he/she inshaAllah feels propelled to sign up for this and other upcoming classes.

So what we can do is maybe rearrange and regroup these bullets to make them better fit each other.

Quote:
what is that final format we desire?

if this is a 10 page journal style newsletter (more like a mini-mag, think doa with proper articles), then it is fine

if this is a 5 pager or less with emphasis on promo for al-maghrib (kind of an extended brochure), it is too long
This is an excellent question and we better come up with an answer pretty quickly.

When I proposed this project, what I had in mind was a more of a mini-magazine than an extended brochure. I had in mind 8 pages with content that would actually require one to read for half an hour or so.

It is true that most people don’t want to read. But the truth is also that there is no instant or a drive-through way for gaining knowledge. So, serious learner must get used to constant and prolonged reading. The question then becomes: do we want our readers to learn something from our newsletter, or we want to use this newsletter purely as a bait to attract others and come and learn by taking the class. Having it as bait is not a bad idea at all. And it would make our job of preparing this newsletter much easer. I was initially thinking that those who don’t want to read can always skip through the pages and fast forward to the last page for information about upcoming classes. This would offer those who want to read some real reading material they could benefit from. But now that you raise this dilemma, I am kind of leaning towards having this newsletter short and sweet, without any intention to educate someone about the evolution of fiqh because they can’t really learn very much about it in few pages anyhow... This would mean our newsletter shrinks in half (one 11x17 sheet, folded once, giving us 4 pages). We have intro, brief overview of what we covered in the class with only about one sentance describing each stage. Then we let the students speak with their testimonials. What do y'all say?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #50
NaZiHaH

Smile Re: An opportunity HOSNA MUST NOT miss!

assalamu alaikum all!

[COLOR=DarkGreen] i can help with the formatting if needed. or, i can help with the articles. i have a lil experience with al manar.