Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Heavenly Hues: Thematic Tafseer - QRN 301 > Answered Questions

Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
whitefawn87
Qabeelat Ittihaad

ya'qiloon or ...?

Salamu alaikum,
In class we discussed 2 words that are similar in meaning..
I was interested in pursuing a definition for each word... similar to the method we used for the homework assignment, by basically seeing the context the word was used in every time.
I remember one was ya'qiloon... does anyone remember the other...? was it yatafakaroon?

Jazakum Allahu khairan
Asalamu alaikum
-reem
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
rana06
Qabeelat Ittihaad

Re: ya'qiloon or ...?

i think it was yafkahoon...
rana06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
whitefawn87
Qabeelat Ittihaad

that would make more sense...
Old 02-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
mahmoudm
Ummat Muhammad

Alsalamo Alaycom,

I dont have any sources around me at the moment to help me answer your question. But I have a word in mind right now and I hope it suits your question, it is "Yata dabbaroon".

Jazaki Allahu khairun
mahmoudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullah,

I haven't taken the class yet inshaAllah but subhanAllah it's so amazing how rich the arabic language is, yet english uses the same translation for all of these words listed!

From my other class, I can mention the roots and literal meanings inshaAllah...

ya'qiloon, from ayn qaaf laam or 'aql. And 'aql literally means to tie a rope together, so when one uses 'aql they "tie"/"connect" thoughts together and come to a certain conclusion.

yatafakaroon, from faa kaaf raa or fikr, and this literally means to struggle to understand, to dig, to strach, to peel. You "dig" into books. like the person doesn't just sit there, they really deeply, struggle to understand and ponder.

yafqahoon, from fa qaaf haa or fiqh, literally means to be endowed with penetration, to understand a thing.

yatadabbaroon, from daal ba raa or dubr, and this means back (like the body part). So when one thinks, they get to to the root, the core of something. Also means to perform or execute the affair with thought or consideration, devise or plan the affair with thought or consideration, devise or plan the affair, regulate.Consequence, result.

A really great resource that I recommend for root words and literal definitions is number one, Lane's Lexicon, you can find it online and also a site known as "Project Root List" (Just google it inshaAllah, it should be the first site up inshaAllah). I used it right now for some of the above words, its very easy to find roots alhamdulillah.

and Allah ta'ala knows best.
yet they do not gain benefit from it nor do they give benefit out to others.”

Imam Al-Awzaa'ee rahimahullah
Amatullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
sireen
Qabeelat Ittihaad

MashaAllah...how and where did you learn this Amatullah??
I speak the language and know the meanings of these words...but it's different the way you put it!! SubhanaAllah!!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
sireen
Qabeelat Ittihaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah

A really great resource that I recommend for root words and literal definitions is number one, Lane's Lexicon, you can find it online and also a site known as "Project Root List" (Just google it inshaAllah, it should be the first site up inshaAllah). I used it right now for some of the above words, its very easy to find roots alhamdulillah.

and Allah ta'ala knows best.
Sorry I just saw this
Old 02-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaker
MashaAllah...how and where did you learn this Amatullah??
I speak the language and know the meanings of these words...but it's different the way you put it!! SubhanaAllah!!
Alhamdulillah two words: Ta'leem al-Qur'an. It's a course i'm taking now for sistes started by Dr. Farhat Hashmi alhamdulillah, inshaAllah it will be starting a part-time class for sisters in April inshaAllah. We do word analysis (meaning word for word translation, root words, literal meanings for all words) as well as tafseer of the whole Qur'an. I'm taking the full time course which is 9-2 every weekday alhamdulillah, inshaAllah part time will be tues. and wed. from 5:30-9:30pm. Alhamdulillah we'll be on Juz 10 soon inshaAllah, so alhamdulillah we've covered a lot so that's where I learned the above root words/meanings, I also used the project root list as a source as well to make sure I didn't say anything incorrect. But yea, I had to plug my class If you want more info, I can send it to you inshaAllah, email me at: amatulwadood(at)gmail(dot)com bi'ithnillah.

sorry for the totally off-topic post...back to the discussion inshaAllah!
yet they do not gain benefit from it nor do they give benefit out to others.”

Imam Al-Awzaa'ee rahimahullah
Amatullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
whitefawn87
Qabeelat Ittihaad

Salamu alaikum!
That's awesome!
Jazakum Allahu khairan Amatullah
Asalamu alaikum!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
mahmoudm
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah
Alhamdulillah two words: Ta'leem al-Qur'an. It's a course i'm taking now for sistes started by Dr. Farhat Hashmi alhamdulillah, inshaAllah it will be starting a part-time class for sisters in April inshaAllah. We do word analysis (meaning word for word translation, root words, literal meanings for all words) as well as tafseer of the whole Qur'an. I'm taking the full time course which is 9-2 every weekday alhamdulillah, inshaAllah part time will be tues. and wed. from 5:30-9:30pm. Alhamdulillah we'll be on Juz 10 soon inshaAllah, so alhamdulillah we've covered a lot so that's where I learned the above root words/meanings, I also used the project root list as a source as well to make sure I didn't say anything incorrect. But yea, I had to plug my class If you want more info, I can send it to you inshaAllah, email me at: amatulwadood(at)gmail(dot)com bi'ithnillah.

sorry for the totally off-topic post...back to the discussion inshaAllah!
Alsalamo Alaycom,

The info you presented was pretty interesting masha’Allah. I was wondering in what city is that course, and what the cost of it is? May Allah increase your knowledge and motivate you even more.
mahmoudm is offline   Reply With Quote