Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Torch Bearers: Scholars of Islam - HST 301

Old 03-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Exclamation GROUND RULES for Taking the Torch

Assalaamu Alaikum wa RahmatUllahi wa Barakatuhu,

This is Sr. Sara.

I would like to inform you all of an exciting precursor to the course. A project that will make this class of greater benefit to all of us, bi'ithnillah...

In these weeks leading up to the course, Shaykh Waleed would like to share 21 important ground rules with us, serving as a foundation in studying the lives of the scholars and influential figures in Islamic history.

These rules will guide us in the etiquettes of how to understand the course material when the course begins.

Are you ready???

Heeere they are...

Reminder: In history we do not look backward but we go back and look ahead

1. We study the lives of the scholars knowing that their actions and statements are not sources of legislation

2. We understand that they are not infallible

3. We follow their methodology as a group, not their individual opinions.

4. We study their lives to derive lessons from them, not to expose their shortcomings.

5. We understand that they were individuals, with their own personalities and habits, and do not expect them to be perfect

6. We refer their unclear statements or actions to the clear ones

7. We are fair and just when making judgments on them

8. We do not examine authenticity of narrations about them as one does with Ahaadeeth, unless the purpose is to derive a rule or pass a judgment on someone

9. We are moderate in one's views and positions regarding them.

10. Looking into the reasons behind their statements and actions, or examining the situations and times when actions or statements were made

11. Knowing that none of the scholars of the Muslim Ummah, whose status was agreed upon by the Muslim scholars ever rejected a Sunnah. Acts or statements which they made which may oppose the Sunnah occurred due to the following reasons:

a. didn't know about the particular Hadeeth
b. considered the Hadeeth inauthentic
c. considered it abrogated
d. left the Hadeeth for another evidence from Qur'aan or Sunnah
e. understood the Hadeeth differently

12. Examining their lives as a whole, and not passing judgments based on individual incidents.

13. Learning the culture each of the scholars, and their specific usage of terminology.

14. Not accepting any negative positions taken based on personal reasons, or made by those of the same age and status.

15. We examine the social, economic, psychological etc. influences on their lives when deriving rulings, so one can get a better understanding of their actions, statements, and judgments.

16. We seek the opinions of the experts in matters of dispute.

17. We do not follow the odd opinions of scholars and their rukhas

18. We understand the difference between the levels of these scholars

19. We differentiate between the worldly rulings and those of the Hereafter

20. We study their lives to explore the patterns leading to positive change, so that we can apply this to our modern affairs, thus transferring our study from a theoretical one to a practical one.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala make these rules of benefit to our learning and keep us mindful of them. Ameen.

Last edited by Sr.Sara; 04-09-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
AbdulHasib

Re: Ground Rules for taking the Torch

masha'aAllah nice..

The Usool of the class.

Love it.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
alikhlas
Qabeelat Hosna

Hmm..these would be beneficial to have up in the classroom, maybe on posters alongside the gem boards.

:: Sisters Crew ::
.. and *Banu Ibrahim stYle* proud of it
alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
HaythamSoliman
Ameer, Qabeelat Hosna

i heard that this will be in the binder ... wallahu A'lam
Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyedcynic
Assalamualaikum,

I understand the importance of such rules and respect them accordingly. However, I was wondering if we could also discuss openly on the scholars' actions to the extent that we may see where both their achievements and mistakes lie rather than merely glorifying the good and ignoring the bad. It isn't my intention to judge their mistakes (after all, it isn't my place to judge - that privilege rests solely with Allah) but I was hoping that when scrutinizing their beliefs and actions, we do so objectively with the goal of learning all that we possibly can from them.

I apologise if this sounds rather rude or presumptuous of me, but oftentimes with heroes of history, many tend to forget that there is something to be learnt from their weaknesses, and not just their strengths.
wa alaikum assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatUllahi wa barakatuhu,

I am assuming from your post that you haven't taken the course yet.
It is one that you don't want to miss and I can assure you that if you do take it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote