Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Torch Bearers: Scholars of Islam - HST 301

Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #11
SubhaanAllah
Qabeelat Wasat

Re: Torch Bearers: testimonials and ambiance

AWESOME Class MashaAllah!!!! I learned about sooo many scholars, most of whom I had never even heard of.

Sheikh Waleed did an excellent job in relating their lives to us in a way that truly made them human. They are all amazing individuals which tons of Ilm, yet they are still humans and faced many issues that we all face today. We learned a lot of practical advice from their lives to implement in our own lives that will bring us closer to the sunnah and better ourselves generally in life.

There was also a LOT of fun activities which really livened up the class and hyped everyone up. I can't wait for Torch Bearers II inshaAllah!!!!

JazakAllahuKhair ya Sheikh as well as all the Haylers who made us out-of-towners feel welcome!

Rema

-Qur'an, Al-Anfal, Surah 8:2
SubhaanAllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
UmmSakinah
Banu Hayl

Alhamdulillah, as always, this class has pushed me to make some changes in my life. It truly was a beneficial weekend. It has brought me closer to the legacy left to us Muslims. A lot of lessons to benefit from and a lot of pondering that is beneficial, though unfortunately, I also observed something that also triggered some reflections of my own regarding how we tend to treat the children.

Where the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam used to honor them, respecting their rights and showing them mercy, I saw with my own eyes last night something somewhat opposite to that. May Allah forgive us.

Sahl ibn Sa’d said that the Prophet was brought a cup and he drank from it. There was a boy, the youngest of all the people, on his right and some elders on his left. He said, "O young boy, will you allow me to give this to these elders?" The boy said, "I will not give away my share of your blessings to anyone, O Messenger of Allaah," so he gave the cup to him. (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2180)

Inshaallah may all the children who took the class last weekend gain a lot of benefit just as the adults did, and even more.

In our society, we group children in peer groups, thus stripping them of the opportunity for them to hang out around adults like is recommended in the sunnah. Yes,they have their own place in schools and such, but if we think about it, having our children attend gatherings and events give them great benefits as they observe adults manners or as they say it in eduspeak: hands on activities. Children basically don't learn from other children of the same age, they learn from someone older. By observing good adults, they learn manners, etiquettes, increase in wisdom and understanding.

We have less mercy for them, in some cases, banning them from masjids because they're too rowdy. If it's one thing I learned from last weekend, it's to think outside the box, look at the bigger picture, erect the truth even if it's forgotten in the mainstream society. Instead of solving problems short term, we should think of solving the problem long term.

No wonder our children nowadays are spoiled and of different characters than children of the early Muslims. Allah musta'an.
UmmSakinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
aisha114
Ummat Muhammad

This is the first time that I learned about Muslim scholars in such a structured way. Growing up in the West, we take history classes our whole life and study various personalities but we never get a chance to learn about our great Muslim scholars.

Alhamdolilah, I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend this class and learned an incredible amount of information. There is so much wisdom that can be learned from their lives.

Furthermore, I feel so encouraged in my own life to seek more in-depth knowledge in Islam inshAllah in order to make a difference and positive contribution to our ummah.

aisha114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
Rahma
Ameerah, Banu Hayl

Alhamdulilah, So much info, material, activities, and lessons to be learned. Through this class we were able to see what made the early scholars successful as well as the later scholars. I learned about their strengths but also in the face of adversity what made them so human. More so was the structure and the way the lessons were taught in that each and every scholars life was a benchmark in setting up our own goals and life plans. It was a class of self-reflection, self-evaluation, and more so it was a reminder for all of us to ask ourselves what our standing with Allah is. May Allah reward Shaykh Waleed, and may Allah instill this knowledge in our hearts and make us of those who act upon it.

Hayl, change is on the rise...bismillah

Rahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
mytemuslim
Qabeelat Tayybah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Reehab

I heard from Sheikh Waleed Khalid Basyouni, On the Authority of Shaykh Abee Abdillah, Thana'ullah ibn Eesa Khan Al-Albanee, On the Authority of Muhammad Abduh Alfalah, On the Authority of Muhammad Adtham Al Jawandalawee, On the Authority of AbdulMannan Al Wazeer Abaadee, On the Authority of Nadheer Hasan, On the Authority of Muhammad is-haaq Al Umaaree, On the Authority of Abdil Azeez Ad-Dahlawee, On the Authority of Abee Taahir Muhammad Ibraheem Al Kurdee, On the Authority of Ibraheem Alkurdee, On the Authority of Abdillah ibn Salim Al Basree, On the Authority of Muhammad ibn Alaa AlBabilee, On the Authority of Salim ASamhooree, On the Authority of AnNajm Al Aydhee, On the Authority of Az-Zain Zakariyya Alansaree, On the Authority of Alhafidh ibn hajar Al-Asqalanee, On the Authority of AlBurhan Ash Shamee, On the Authority of Shihabiddeen ibn Shahnah, On the Authority of AsSiraj ibn Al Mubarak AzZubaidee, On the Authority of Abdil Awwal ibn Eesa Al Barawee, On the Authority of AbdirRahman Muhammad AdDawoodee, On the Authority of Abdillah ibn Ahmad AsSarkhsee, On the Authority of Muhammad ibn Yousud Al Farabree, On the Authority of Al Imam Muhammad ibn Ismaeel al Bukharee, On the Authority of Abee Nu'aym, On the Authority of Sufyan Ath-Thawree, On the Authority of Sulayman ibn Mahran AlA'mash, On the Authority of Abee Wa'il, On the Authority of Abee Moosa AlAsh'aree

That the Prophet (sal Allahu Alayhi wassalam) was asked about a person who loves another but has not reached their level. The Prophet (sal Allahu Alayhi wa sallam) said (what means) A person will be witht he ones whom he loves.

SubhanAllah did Shaikh Waleed really mention the entire chain, or is this chain in the class notes? That is AMAZING!!!
mytemuslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #16
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytemuslim
SubhanAllah did Shaikh Waleed really mention the entire chain, or is this chain in the class notes? That is AMAZING!!!
no, we actually received the ijaaza!
It's a piece of paper containing all of the names listed and then our name on it too and Shaykh Waleed's signature and stamp at the bottom.

It was pretty exclusive, mashaAllah...

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #17
mytemuslim
Qabeelat Tayybah

MashaAllah that's awesome, its like you are apart of Islamic history. But would we knock down the grade of the hadith? Mytemuslim is unknown, the hadith is........<gasp>

Last edited by mytemuslim; 08-19-2008 at 04:18 PM.
mytemuslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
Waleed Basyouni
Vice President, AlMaghrib Institute

Don't worry. The hadeeth is already in Bukhaaree.

I just want to tell those who took this class in Hayl that I really enjoyed my time with them. We had a cozy, uncrowded environment.
Waleed Basyouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #19
Ruqayyah1
Banu Hayl

Asalaam Alaikum,

This was my first Al Maghrib class, and insha'Allah it will not be my last. I learned so much, alhamdulilah. The Sheik was wonderful. An excellent instructor. And the scholars we studied were such an inspiration to me as a fairly new Muslimah. I feel a real attachment to them as people who are an example to learn from through the years as the Ummah has continued on to develop.

I would highly recommend this class to others, and I have told others in my community that Al Maghrib classes are an opprotunity they should utilize to increase their knowledge and ibadaah.

May Allah bless us all and bring us to greater knowledge of our Deen. Ameen.

Julie
Ruqayyah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #20
AZikria
Ameer, Qabeelat Haqq

This seminar is so packed with information. So many stories that the shaykh could gone through with ease. MASHA ALLAH, so many great techniques and tarbiyah we learned from these great scholars.