Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Torch Bearers: Scholars of Islam - HST 301

Old 03-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
nybrother
Qabeelat Tayybah

Physical Descriptions of the Companions From 'Siyar A'lam an-Nubala''

(copied from another forum. May Allah reward the brother who translated it.)

These are some physical descriptions of some of the major Companions, taken from the first four volumes of 'Siyar A'lam an-Nubala'':

1 - Abu Bakr:

"He was white-skinned, skinny, with thin cheeks. He had a wrinkly face, deepset eyes, a protruding forehead, and he would dye his beard with henna and oil it."

"He was white or yellow-skinned, handsome, with thin legs. His izar would not stay firmly tied around his waist."

2 - 'Umar bin al-Khattab:

"He was white-skinned, leaning towards redness. He was tall, balding, and had white hair around his head."

"He was very tall, and extemely bald. He had reddened skin, thin cheeks, and the edges of his mustache were long and dark red."

"He would walk so fast that it was as if he was riding a horse while those around him were walking."

"He used to dye his hair with henna."

3 - 'Uthman bin 'Affan:

"He was not tall or short. He had a handsome face, a long beard, dark skin, wide shoulders, and he would dye his hair with saffron. He would cap teeth with gold."

'Abdullah bin Hazm said: "I saw 'Uthman, and I never saw a man or woman more beautiful than him."

as-Sa'ib said: "I saw him dying his beard yellow, and I never saw an old man more handsome than him."

4 - 'Ali bin Abi Talib:

"He was balding, but had much hair left, as if he was wearing a sheepskin. He was of medium height, with a large belly and a large beard."

"He had a yellow beard."

"He dyed his beard with henna once, then he never used it again."

"His hair and beard were white, like cotton."

ash-Sha'bi said: "I saw 'Ali with a white beard, and I never saw anyone with a larger beard then he."

"He had heavyset, large eyes, and he was closer to being short."

5 - Abu 'Ubaydah bin al-Jarrah:

"He was a skinny man, with a wrinkly face and a light beard. He was tall."

6 - Mu'adh bin Jabal:

"He was tall, with large eyes, white-skinned, with wrinkled skin."

7 - 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud:

"He was thin, short, and did not dye his hair."

"He was handsome and wise."

8 - 'A'ishah:

"She was white-skinned and beautiful."

9 - Abu Hurayrah:

"He was fair-skinned, had wide shoulders, wide teeth, and he had braids in his hair."

"He was white-skinned, thin, and had a red beard."

10 - Mu'awiyah:

"He was tall, white-skinned, and handsome. When he laughed, his upper lip would move, and he would dye his hair."

"He would dye his hair with saffron, and his beard was golden."

11 - 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

"He would dye his beard yellow."

"He would dye his beard yellow until his clothing became wet with the dye. It was said to him: "You dye with yellow?" He replied: "I saw the Messenger of Allah doing so!""

12 - al-Husayn:

"His hair and beard were extremely black."

13 - 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas:

"He was white-skinned, leaning towards yellow, tall, handsome, bright-faced, and he would dye his hair with henna."

'Ata' said: "I never see the full Moon of the 14th night of the month except that I remember the face of Ibn 'Abbas."

14 - Anas bin Malik:

"He would wear a black turban that he would leave trailing behind him."

50:
18. Not a word does he utter but there is a sentinel by him, ready (to note it).
nybrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
RandomDudette
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Physical Descriptions of the Companions From 'Siyar A'lam an-Nubala''

Masha'Allah... jazakAllahu khairan for this! I find that having a physical description makes it easier for me to envisage them and their stories and the lessons we have to learn from them. Any more for you to offer us?
RandomDudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Omar Ahmed
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Physical Descriptions of the Companions From 'Siyar A'lam an-Nubala''

Quote:
Originally Posted by safa_709
Thankx, great post!

As I browsed through your list I noticed that most of the sahabah were skinny! Probably b/c they did not indulge in this life like most of us do...

A good site with sahabah biographies:

[link removed]
Jazakullah khayr

and Jazakullah khayr to original poster
Omar Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote