Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > AlMaghrib Student Tribes Discussion

Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Sally Mahmoud

Re: Problems facing the Muslim youth today

just off the top of my head- i think identity is a big issue for youth.. like ahlam said.. fitting in.. who am i, who do i want to be.. halaal/haraam/peer pressure.. bridging the generation/cultural gap in their families... all that on top of the biology of adolescence.. phew.. thank God that's behind me
Old 04-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Sibgatullah
Qabeelat Tayybah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Mahmoud
just off the top of my head- i think identity is a big issue for youth.. like ahlam said.. fitting in.. who am i, who do i want to be.. halaal/haraam/peer pressure.. bridging the generation/cultural gap in their families... all that on top of the biology of adolescence.. phew.. thank God that's behind me
At ilmfest, sh.yasir qadhi gave an amazing talk about this identity crisis....

*edit: but it was more in terms of the ummah as a whole; and what exactly is the culture of the Muslim American....so it's not exactly about peer pressure, etc, but it is definately a big identity crisis

do checkout the gems in Tayybah's folder, but inshallah I will post some of what he said here....

Qabeelat Tayybah, Home of Liwa 2011 and beyond
Sibgatullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
AbdArRahman
Ummat Muhammad

Salaam Alaikum Br. Abdur Rahman
Could you break the article by Sh. Uthaiymeen into separate posts? Unfortunately I was unable to read the whole article and found myself losing concentration each time I approached it.

JazaakAllah Khair

Walaikum as Salaam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatahu
AbdArRahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
robin hudhud
Qabeelat Ittihaad

problems facing the muslim youth: lack of a good role model. I won't say that there aren't any -- they are just hard to find.

Who is better in speech than one who calls (men) to Allah, works righteousness, and says, "I am of those who bow in Islam"? (Fussilat 33)
robin hudhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
AbdArRahman
Ummat Muhammad

What I would say the biggest problem facing the youth is ignorance about the religion and its clashes with culture. And hence those youth who don't know what is religion and what is culture may tend to traverse along the wrong path believing it to be religion.
AbdArRahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
AbdulHasib

the 12 tips were EXCELLENT, masha'aAllah.

I'm going to add 2, and add to Tip#9.

9. Ask Them 4 Fundamental Questions

As your friendship develops, you will notice the topics you discuss may become more serious. You may be discussing, for instance, future goals and plans. Khan recommends four questions to ask that can steer the topic to Allah and Islam:

a. Where am I going in life and what would make me really happy deep down inside?
b. What do I believe?
c. Who should I be grateful to?
d. Did I get to where I am today without the help of anyone?

i'm adding a FIFTH.

e. "WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF YOUR LIFE? DO you think you have one? Why, or why not?"

and adding

13. Truly CARE for them.
- see them as if it were yourself. They ARE your brothers. They ARE your sisters. DO NOT treat the da'wah as something superficial. Care for them. Love for them that which you love for yourself. THIS is Iman.

14. Exhaustively focus on Prayer

Shaykh Muhammad alshareef hafidhahullah always told us, especially in Tafseer Surat Al Baqarah, that often times in da'wah people begin to answer the questions of others on their own, their own reasoning etc.. And the amazing thing is ALLAH ta'la directly answered them with ayaat in Qur'an.

(shows you the da'iee who has memorized and understands the qur'an as opposed to the da'iee who has not).

In this case specifically, we hate that our brothers are partying, clubbin, actin gangsta, trippin on a materialistic high.

and we hate that our sisters are lacking in hayaa, dressing in a manner that diludes them into thinking they have self worth, being neglectful of taking the proper role models of Ummahaat al mu'mineen as opposed to Angelina, J-Lo, Pink, and Paris.

Why?

Because we hated what that brought about in destroying the lives of so many of our brothers and sisters. We would hate for that to happen to us, and we hate for that to happen to our own.

But do we realize ALLAH 'azza wa jal gave us the solution?

the Prayer, The Prayer, The Prayer.

Imâm Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

Whoever’s sin was because of [carnal] desires, hope for him, (
hope for him, hope for him, hope for him, ) (as he may repent and be forgiven); but whoever’s sin was out of pride, fear for him. For indeed, Âdam sinned out of simple desire, and was forgiven; whereas Iblîs sinned out of pride, and was cursed.

and

"If you correct your hidden deeds subsequently Allaah will correct your outward deeds." Ibn Taymeeyah – 'al-Fatawa' 3/277

Befriend them, take them out to eat.
Truly care for them.

When the time is right, they will approach you..

Help them to return to their salah.

The prayer is a deterrent of everything 'dirty,' sinful, and 'disgusting.'

There was a woman during the Prophet salAllahu 'alaihee wa sallam's time.. who used to STEAL from people.. they told the Prophet salAllahu 'alaihee wa sallam, and he told them, that her PRAYER will eventually stop her from stealing.

THE Solution

Allah ta'la said:

اتْلُ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ إِنَّ الصَّلَاةَ تَنْهَى عَنِ الْفَحْشَاء وَالْمُنكَرِ وَلَذِكْرُ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مَا تَصْنَعُونَ

Al Ankaboot 29.45. Recite, [O Muúammad], what has been revealed to you of the Book and establish prayer. Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahshâ' (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse) and Al-Munkar (every kind of evil wicked deed) and the remembering praising of (you by) Allâh (in front of the angels) is greater indeed And Allâh knows what you do.

When prayer time comes, have them pray with you -). Just remind them and encourage, and go on..

Continuously being around you, they will come to the prayer insha'aAllah.

The prayer. Even if you do other sins.. IF you were out last night at a night CLUB.. IF you were with a girl that you shouldn't have been, IF you were with a guy who you shouldn't have been with, IF … and YOU know yourself better than anyone.. PRAY.. shouldn't come and tell yourself oh I was out alllll night and messing up and you come home at fajr and you say

"why should I, I've been so bad…"

no. Pray. This is from shaytaan. And insha'Allah THROUGH ones prayer and seeking repentance.. and Fearing Allah a'zza wa jal and Fearing Him Alone, Doing it for Him Alone.

If that feeling you get of "man what's one prayer going to do" is not shaytan. THEN WHAT IS SHAYTAN? A LITTLE DEVIL WE HAVE TO SEE ON HALLOWEEN? NO. That's shaytan. Fight it. Pray and you will SEE it in your life!

And realizing is not He the one most worthy of bowing to? Prostrating to? PRAYing and the one will stop whatever they are committing...

Qadrul islaami fi nafseeka ka qadrus Salaah - the value of Islam in your Heart is how much you Value your Prayer..

The more You value your Prayer is a direct reflection of how much you value your Faith..

So we should help them to rush to their prayer.. in a good way positive encouraging way..

Allah ta'la said:

اتْلُ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ إِنَّ الصَّلَاةَ تَنْهَى عَنِ الْفَحْشَاء وَالْمُنكَرِ وَلَذِكْرُ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مَا تَصْنَعُونَ

Al Ankaboot 29.45. Recite, [O Muúammad], what has been revealed to you of the Book and establish prayer. Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahshâ' (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse) and Al-Munkar (every kind of evil wicked deed) and the remembering praising of (you by) Allâh (in front of the angels) is greater indeed And Allâh knows what you do.

and
hope for him, hope for him, hope for him, ...

Actions items:
1. MAKE DU'A FOR THEM! In your sujud, etc. This is truly caring for them to change.
Your words are nothinig if you're not complaining and begging for them to your Creator..
2. Help them to understand the foundation of life, and their purpose is being GREATFUL to the Creator and worshipping Him - Tawheed.
3. Have them realize to STICK, STICK, STICK to the prayer. Allah will RELEAVE you of all worries and sins. ALLAH promised that.
4. Increase them in their knowledge of Islam,
like AlMaghrib Classes, or others.
- here they can also see so many others, just like them. We all strugglign and loving each other, together. No one is alone.
5. Help them to practice that knowledge
6. Give them the best company and true nasiha in TRULY CARING for them as if they are your OWN blood.

May Allah purify our inner selves and reverberate in our outer actions, and guide us all to the best and grant us the best in this life and the next. Ameen.

WAllahu 'Alam

Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
sireen
Qabeelat Ittihaad

Lack of motivation to continue going forwards...
Being driven by emotion (towards good or bad)...
Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Ahmed Ibn Hassan
Ummat Muhammad

This is a great poem that really captures one’s perspective of the youth today.

PEER PRESSURE

An out of control stranger is living my life!
This rampaging monster is causing havoc and strife.
It is driven by passive whims and desires
and from these relentless pursuits it never retires.

It's like an addiction, compelling and strong,
bulldozing and destroying as it lumbers along.s
Its actions and existence are riddled with flaws.
I can no longer fight; I've abandoned the cause.

I was once in control and acted with sense
but the lifestyle is overpowering and so immense.
I've seen myself departing from all that's correct
and no more goodness or kindness do I detect.

My senses are sedated and my energy depleted.
My resistance against this evil is all but defeated.
Reasoning and logic no longer have a say;
my morals and goodness have gone into decay.

Where did I go wrong, what happened to my life?
Why is everything balanced on the edge of a knife?
My life flashes before me and swirls in my mind.
A jumble of chaos and sadness, which can't be defined.

Reflecting on my past life, I begin to weep:
- to the corruption around me, I had been asleep
The tears of regret become cries of despair,
I had everything to live for; it's just not fair.

I had the love of my parents, a life of bliss
so much love and warmth, which I really miss.
I was young and reckless but intelligent and bright.
Suddenly I'm worthless garbage, that can't be right!

It was peer pressure from my so-called friends.
It is a part of growing up. or so it pretends.
I did silly things because I wanted to fit in.
I was soon off the rails, in a chaotic spin.

I wanted people to respect me, to think I was cool.
These were my first steps; I had been a fool.
My clothes, walk and thoughts became altered
and from the right path, very soon I faltered.

I acted like a gangster, so cool and tough.
Rebelling and strutting around, I'd huff and puff
I started bending the rules to get my kicks
- a bit of fooling around then this habit sticks

This was the door that shouldn't have been unlocked
and through this door, my whole life was rocked.
These were my first steps that guided me to ruin.
It buried me in despair and drowned me in sin..

All avenues were closed, all my bridges I saw burn
All friends I pushed away, so to whom do I turn?
I don't have my parent's love to lead me by the hand
and on my own two feet I am unable to stand.

I have so much remorse; my life was hijacked
because common sense and understanding I had lacked
Everyone warned me and told me to take heed,
hasten back to the right path at my fastest speed.

I should have listened to the advise of my friends.
I should have grasped those chances and made amends.
I thought they were wrong and did not understand.
I thought I knew better, I had the upper hand.

I wasn't the first fool and I won't be the last
After the first step, I was dragged in fast.
It offers illusions of enjoyment and pleasure,
It acted as my friend and took my greatest treasure.

A shimmer of hope gleamed from deep within.
It empowered my soul and crumbled the sin
With every shred of energy I hauled myself out
All credit is to God, without any doubt.

So stick to the right path that was ordained from above
A path of kindness and piety, of happiness and love
Only this can lead to both peace and success
And saved everyone from heartache and distress

By: Ghulam Rasool
Old 05-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
qalb-e-saleema
Ummat Muhammad

i think that when you are young you have this 'need to be entertained all the time attitude' so i think if we make deen more 'fun' teenagers would be more attracted to it.....so finding creative outlets for them will surely draw them.

If only the youth knew that that when you are at this awesome stage in your life you are at your best - you have such vigour, energy and drive...it's a great, graet pity that in so many cases it all go to waste on futile pursuits.....imagine the youth who spends his/her time fittingly...the things they can accomplish in their life!!

To elaborate on the identity crisis point I learnt that one of the reasons we adults /teenagers suffer from an identity crisis is that we are ignorant about our magnificient history as Muslims.

I also have a question - who is considered to be the youth...does it mean anyone below 40 yrs of age?
qalb-e-saleema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
HubAakhirah
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by qalb-e-saleema
i think that when you are young you have this 'need to be entertained all the time attitude' so i think if we make deen more 'fun' teenagers would be more attracted to it.....so finding creative outlets for them will surely draw them.

If only the youth knew that that when you are at this awesome stage in your life you are at your best - you have such vigour, energy and drive...it's a great, graet pity that in so many cases it all go to waste on futile pursuits.....imagine the youth who spends his/her time fittingly...the things they can accomplish in their life!!

To elaborate on the identity crisis point I learnt that one of the reasons we adults /teenagers suffer from an identity crisis is that we are ignorant about our magnificient history as Muslims.

I also have a question - who is considered to be the youth...does it mean anyone below 40 yrs of age?

SubhanAllah, you made some extremely good points, BarakAllahFeekum!

You are right, Alhamdulillah. The Deen is perfect, and it should appeal to all Muslims, but sadly, the temptations of this life seem to pull many youth in the wrong direction. Yes, a "creative outlet" would do a lot of good in putting many kids back on the right track, inshAllah. Even just getting the word out about all the available events for youth at their local masajid, for example, active youth groups are always doing events, whether it is charity work, halaqahs, field trips, learning Qur'an. The most important thing is that the youth surrounds themselves with good Muslims. So that, even if they attend public school 5 days a week, the ones who they socialize and spend time with are other Muslim kids who want to do the right thing, and not just "be cool." SubhanAllah, I am not much older than these high-school youth, so I distinctly remember how tough this stage was. May Allah(swt) make it easy for them, and Guide them to the Straight Path. Ameen Ya Rabb.

682. `Imran bin Husain (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Shyness does not bring anything except good.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
The Prophet (pbuh) said: “Seeking ‘Ilm (knowledge) is incumbent on every Muslim.”

(Allah wishes to lighten the burden for you; for certainly man has been created weak!) (An-Nisaa’ 4: 28).

Ubayy ibn Kab said: "The believer has four characteristics. If he is afflicted by any misfortune, he remains patient and steadfast. If he is given anything, he is grateful. If he speaks, he speaks the truth. If he passes a judgment on any issue, he is just."
HubAakhirah is offline   Reply With Quote